• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fowler, Graziano: Panthers want to re-sign Frankie Luvu

BlueBuck24

Frankie Luvu is the type of guy you wanna reward with a good payday. Dude came over as an unknown reserve player from the Jets and worked his way up to being a starter and has turned into a really good player. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

People say this all the time but either way, he’s not getting that type of deal. The cap is an illusion and he’s not a player you would ever have to worry about not playing hard enough to earn the money. He was underpaid every year he has been with us. This is a dictionary picture perfect example player that you pay. He’s the best team leader we have other than Brown

People say this all the time yet each team pays big money to a person who's job it is to manage the cap. 

28 minutes ago, csx said:

getting rid of good underrated players isn't being smart

It's Juan, he's just dicking around.

But yeah Luvu was a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season and is 27, so he's probably in his prime right now.  He's not our secret any more and is probably going to get a bag, hopefully from us.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield
  • Pie 1

I'm about 100% positive he'll be a Panther long term before Burns. 

And while we're at it ... for the "culture"...resign Brown, Shaq (min), Franklin, and ISM. 

Have a long look at Troy Hill, Chubba and Shenualt. Sanders, Thomas and Hurst need paycuts and extend Moton. 

The names above play hungry, aggressive and have either an "it" factor for their role or a strong leadership quality. 

DONOT pay Burns 30 a year. He's good to have but his production doesnt match his asking price. 

But Luvu... hell yes, shouldn't even be a discussion. Pay that man. And promote whoever found him. Ironically I think it was Morgan. 

11 hours ago, csx said:

People say this all the time yet each team pays big money to a person who's job it is to manage the cap. 

That is exactly what the cap doesn't matter.  We pay folks, smarter than any of us on this topic, hundreds of thousands of dollars to make sure the cap is a non issue. 

I know "everyone" hates Tepper, but his deep pockets allow us even more flexibility with being able to pay more cash over cap for bonuses. Essentially it boils down to you have to have the bonus cash on hand, think like a mortgage escrow.  This is a problem for some teams, not us. 

I may seemingly be the contrarian depending upon one's perspective, but I hardly believe that Luvu is a break-the-bank type of player. I see him as a midrange linebacker who should be rewarded as such. 

Just like Burns---to a lesser degree because Luvu is really a lesser player due to his value to NFL teams---if Luvu expects to be overpaid for his services, then he can kick rocks. This is not to say that Luvu doesn't play with more heart than Burns (or most on the current team), but I'm not gonna confuse playing with heart, something that you should be doing regardless, with being a top player at your position. 

Don't get it twisted, I appreciate Luvu, I'm just not going to break the budget because I like the guy. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, ChuckWag78 said:

That is exactly what the cap doesn't matter.  We pay folks, smarter than any of us on this topic, hundreds of thousands of dollars to make sure the cap is a non issue. 

I know "everyone" hates Tepper, but his deep pockets allow us even more flexibility with being able to pay more cash over cap for bonuses. Essentially it boils down to you have to have the bonus cash on hand, think like a mortgage escrow.  This is a problem for some teams, not us. 

I didn't know this. For me, the following article added a little more understanding. You not only have to have that signing bonus on hand, you have to have up to 75% of the cash on hand for guaranteed money in players' contracts. So because Tepper has more liquidity than most of the owners, it gives the Panthers a certain competitive advantage. Basically, some owners may be able to theoretically get the numbers right based upon future league earnings, but if they don't have the  cash on hand to secure the contract, you can't have the contract. 

"...any money guaranteed to players must be set aside at the time the guarantee is made...All guaranteed money, up to 75% of the contract’s total compensation, must immediately be placed in escrow, even when the money won’t be paid to the player for years. When the Minnesota Vikings signed Kirk Cousins last year, he was paid a rather inconsequential $3 million signing bonus. However, since the entire $84 million contract was guaranteed, the team had to set aside more than $60 million cash to pre-fund the future guarantees.

"...This money has to be in the form of cash, not in Escalades or oil or Grand Slam breakfasts, or in shares of the team itself—where a lot of owners’ wealth was created and remains tied up. So in short, the answer is yes—despite the parity of a salary cap—a team owner’s wealth, and specifically liquid wealth, can play a big factor in what a franchise can offer its players."

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/24/18222073/does-an-nfl-team-owners-wealth-really-matter-contracts-salary-cap-pay-structure-free-agency

• Beer 2

18 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

lol CMC/DJ is a great example of why you don’t let good players go for picks. He was one of the very few people on the team who brought the energy, played his ass off, and never quit even though we were the worst team in the league. He’s the perfect example of the type of player that you do not let leave. 

Had we been halfway smart, we would have traded Burns for the haul and kept Moore and CMC. Add in not drafting the QB who didn’t throw at the combine because he knew he’d look like dogshit and the Burns trade would have been sufficient to draft Stroud and having Moore, Thielen and CMC would have been nice for Stroud.

The pieces were all there but we had the world’s stupidest GM who drafts another project WR in the 2nd instead of trying to get a TE in the massively deep TE draft and get a young WR in this deep WR draft.

Morgan better get on his horse and draft like a champ so we know he’s not just Fitterer Jr. I don’t want a full decade of being the worst team in the NFL. We got our half-decade run complete already.

• Pie 2

Luvu is playing like a first round LB in his prime who makes game changing plays every single game.  He has not shown an exploitable weakness. He rag dolls o linemen. He’s a third and long waiting to happen. When Frankie gets through the line on a blitz, it’s a wrap. He comes in like a missile. And finishes. Without drawing a personal foul. He gets better every season. I’ve never had to say ‘damnit, Frankie’ … I think ever.  He’s all heart… and not once have I heard him mention anything about a contract extension. 

Besides Brown, the d line is nothing but JAGs(Burns has been MIA). He’s not exactly getting a lot of help. 

Let him walk and replace him with who? Does anyone really think this org suddenly flipped a switch and can find his replacement no worries? With our history of giving talent away, he’s a guaranteed all pro next year if he walks. Even if we found a way to get a first and a second, we’d end up f’ing it up anyway. 

Overpaying a LB a few million more than market isn’t exactly going to hold this team back. 

• Beer 1