• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow, Steve Wilks just released in SF

jb2288

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not Wilks' biggest fan but the dude got scapegoated. That D allowed 19 points in regulation to an offense led by Patrick Mahomes and ran by Andy Reid. The offensive wunderkind could t put up enough points. If you'd told him before the game their D would only give up 19 points and force two turnovers he would've very confidently told you what champagne he wanted for the post-game toast.

Absolutely right

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

8th best DVOA since 1981. Just saying.

Shanny needed a scapegoat. Can't be having the narrative be that his play calling abandoning the run blew another double digit lead in the SB.

I dont think you really need a scapegoat for losing the super bowl in OT.  I think thats just an excuse.  I think if this was 20 years ago then Wilks would be a great coach.  I think hes a good leader of men who in the end plays too old school and struggles at making adjustments.  Old school defense just isnt going to work consistently against elite qbs when it counts.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

I dont think you really need a scapegoat for losing the super bowl in OT.  I think thats just an excuse.  I think if this was 20 years ago then Wilks would be a great coach.  I think hes a good leader of men who in the end plays too old school and struggles at making adjustments.  Old school defense just isnt going to work consistently against elite qbs when it counts.

Shanny should fire himself as the offensive play caller for once again abandoning the run with a double digit lead in the SB. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

you don't need one for losing a SB in OT. 

But Kyle needs one after blowing 3 double digit Super Bowl leads.  And that's why Wilks is the scapegoat.  It's about the narrative setting in on Kyle, not needing one for just that one game in vacuum. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

What about him going prevent and then Shanahan calling a time out to stop that crap?

Too bad Wilks couldn't call a timeout during the 2nd and 3rd quarters and tell Shanny "Hey dumbass, just hand the ball to CMC. Your boy Purdy has passed for 17 yards since the end of the 1st quarter and you just keep dialing up more pass plays."

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

Hones

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Too bad Wilks couldn't call a timeout during the 2nd and 3rd quarters and tell Shanny "Hey dumbass, just hand the ball to CMC. Your boy Purdy has passed for 17 yards since the end of the 1st quarter and you just keep dialing up more pass plays."

Him firing Wilks is not surprising. Shanahan didn’t seem to be the biggest fan of his playcalling during the season. 
He was looking for an excuse. 

It is amazing how every team that went up against the Chiefs knew they weak against the run but never took advantage of it the whole game. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Shanny should fire himself as the offensive play caller for once again abandoning the run with a double digit lead in the SB. 

Exactly.  

I came straight to the huddle after reading of Wilks release. 

I don't care what anybody thinks of Wilks. He is great coach. 

I'm in 💯 agreement with you here, that Kyle should be the one that should be stepping down if ANY action is truly required, which in my opinion, wasn't needed. 

Especially sucks for Wilks, because of the timing. All the DC jobs have been filled. 

I know Wilks will land on his feet.  Someone will hire him in some compasity if he wants to work this coming season. 

Kyle is a little bitch. 

• Poo 1

9 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

What about him going prevent and then Shanahan calling a time out to stop that crap?

Do you realize the QB they were playing?

Dude gave San Fran plenty of times to put the game away. The offense couldn't finish the job. Expecting that defense to stop Mahomes all game + overtime was asking too much.

There has to be something behind the scenes going on. Wilks was not the reason they loss that game.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

Playoff Mahomes ain't regular season Mahomes

and I think sometimes you have to look into the # of offensive possessions.   They scored 27 vs the Bills on 9 drives (and that includes a kneel down drive).   Through 9 drives vs the 49ers they scored 6 points.  I mean, eventually, if Mahomes/Reid get enough shots.....points will come. 

So what about the Ravens game then?  They put up 17 points in 11 drives.  Not only that, but they scored 14 points on the first two drives and then put up 3 points in the last 9.  So that doesn't really seem to jive with your last point.  You kinda seem to be making murky unsubstantiated claims.  Like what's your evidence that Playoff Mahomes is on a whole different level?  To me, he's consistently elite in the regular season and in the playoffs.  It's not like a Joe Flacco situation during his Super Bowl run with the Ravens.  If anything stands out in the playoffs, it's Mahomes' Clutch factor.  And "clutchness" doesn't typically mean you just dominate the entire game, but rather your ability to come through when it matters the most, i.e. what happened in the Super Bowl in OT.

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Exactly.  

I came straight to the huddle after reading of Wilks release. 

I don't care what anybody thinks of Wilks. He is great coach. 

I'm in 💯 agreement with you here, that Kyle should be the one that should be stepping down if ANY action is truly required, which in my opinion, wasn't needed. 

Especially sucks for Wilks, because of the timing. All the DC jobs have been filled. 

I know Wilks will land on his feet.  Someone will hire him in some compasity if he wants to work this coming season. 

Kyle is a little bitch. 

How many double digit comebacks has their been in SB history? Shanahan has been the offensive play caller three times for a team that's given up one.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1