• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are expected to trade or release veteran corner Donte Jackson, per sources.

24 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

This is going to be a rough year. Unless a miracle off-season happens, or Bryce turns into a super star, this team does not look like it will be competing for more than 5 wins. It would not shock me if the Panthers are picking first overall again next year.

As long as we actually do a team build correctly for once, and stop trying to band-aid everything, I'm ok with having the 1st again next year. I'd rather suffer 1 more year and have some direction and a plan than another 6 years of whatever the fug we've been doing. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

I saw that if designated june cut it would save 17m in cap if we didnt mind the dead money.  Probably not worth it i dont think but maybe worth noting if they dont designate jackson as the june cut.

Yeah, best to pay him this year, in my humble opinion, because at least you get something for the dead money, and june cut him in 2025.  It was a strange contract.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, best to pay him this year, in my humble opinion, because at least you get something for the dead money, and june cut him in 2025.  It was a strange contract.

Yup, too many holes to be cutting/restructuring starters already under contract..  We are at League average in cap space.  I don't understand rush to create a bunch of cap space this year when all that will do is add to cap overhead in future years and/or more dead cap. Tepper will be patient this year, take advantage of it.  Clean up the books as much as possible without adversely impacting future years.

• Beer 4

2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

If I'm not mistaken, someone trading for Donte would only be on the hook for 4-5 million.  We get the 10mil dead cap hit.  That doesn't seem too extravagant for an above average vet corner.  How many cbs in this draft will step in and be better right now.  If I'm a team that wants to win right now, I may have some interest.

Let me take a look at that.

Nope, looks like he has a pretty decent sized salary.

https://overthecap.com/panthers-to-move-on-from-cb-donte-jackson

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Only if we trade him before paying his roster bonus. 

If I were GM, I’d eat the $4mil roster bonus. Then I’d seek a trade for something mid-roundish or player for player. Basically, I’d rather buy a draft pick for $4mil in a rebuilding year than release him for nothing to save cap.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yea, its truly not bad. I am puzzled by this and Im no djax fan. Just makes another hole on a team with the most of them. 

Normally when this happens they feel a player on the roster is ready and cheaper. So that means be ready for Dicaprio Bootle or D'Shawn Jamison to start next year. Plus it moves CB to 2nd or 3rd on needs/wants. 

Just starter-wise panthers need WR, WR, TE, DT, DE, NT, MLB(im counting on shaq being cut too), #2 CB, NB. * maybe staters at LG, RG, C, LT, RT, QB, RB * AND depth at every single spot, EVERY SPOT. This just adds to the pile and he was a leader too. Odd and dont agree. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Only if we trade him before paying his roster bonus. 

If I were GM, I’d eat the $4mil roster bonus. Then I’d seek a trade for something mid-roundish or player for player. Basically, I’d rather buy a draft pick for $4mil in a rebuilding year than release him for nothing to save cap.  

Yeah but that is also the difference between real money and "make believe money."

4 hours ago, Krovvy said:

This is going to be a rough year. Unless a miracle off-season happens, or Bryce turns into a super star, this team does not look like it will be competing for more than 5 wins. It would not shock me if the Panthers are picking first overall again next year.

And if that’s the case, and Bryce doesn’t show flashes on a game by game basis, you have to go QB at 1. So for Bryce’s sake, he better hope we’re picking somewhere in the 5-15 range. Atleast give the team something to think about 

• Beer 1