• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Tradewinds & FA News

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

His career as a starting QB most likely is. There is always the chance he will be a Geno Smith, Sam Bradford, etc. Those odds aren't very good, however.

I just don't understand why anyone really believes he is a starting caliber NFL QB. He has three years of showing he can't adjust to the NFL.

I was raised at a time when basically all QBs sat for a year or two (sometimes more) before they were handed the reins. Fields will likely get a second chance to be a starter.

Fields went from a horrific situation  (somewhat like Bryce 's) to a very stable and good situation from the looks of things. He can actually comfortably learn. 

Sure, his odds aren't great at the moment to become a viable starter, but that's not exactly going out on a limb, but I like the approach to him and possible future success in Pittsburgh much better than in the Windy City. The fact is is that the Bears have been a historically dumb franchise and the Steelers have been a historically smart one.

I'm not going to read too much into a conditional 6th. The Bears were being way too unreasonable when all the wheelings and dealings began---I never thought they'd get a day one or two pick---and teams don't like to be jerked around when they are planning their futures this time of year.  

It's a reset, hopefully the right way for Fields. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I was raised at a time when basically all QBs sat for a year or two (sometimes more) before they were handed the reins. Fields will likely get a second chance to be a starter.

Fields went from a horrific situation  (somewhat like Bryce 's) to a very stable and good situation from the looks of things. He can actually comfortably learn. 

Sure, his odds aren't great at the moment to become a viable starter, but that's not exactly going out on a limb, but I like the approach to him and possible future success in Pittsburgh much better than in the Windy City. The fact is is that the Bears have been a historically dumb franchise and the Steelers have been a historically smart one.

I'm not going to read too much into a conditional 6th. The Bears were being way too unreasonable when all the wheelings and dealings began---I never thought they'd get a day one or two pick---and teams don't like to be jerked around when they are planning their futures this time of year.  

This is a different time, however. It's the era of pass friendly rules and offenses. Unfortunately, he has just not shown the ability to improve at all. Look at similar-ish players like Lamar and Josh Allen who made huge jumps in progression in their second or third years. Fields didn't.

The market was reportedly very small for him and that ended up being true. That's basically the league telling everyone that they think he isn't a guy. That usually doesn't happen accidentally.

Where does everyone rank Tyler Boyd amongst the available FAs. With Williams and Gallup scheduled to come in, would Boyd be equally as appealing?

Here they are side-by-side w/ 5-year averages:

Tyler Boyd                   6'2" 203 29 years old               72rec - 828yds - 4TD

Michael Gallup            6'1" 198  28 years old               47rec - 647yds - 4TD

Mike Williams              6'4" 218  29 years old              51 rec - 809yds -4TD

Williams is rumored at $12M per. I feel like Gallup and Boyd will be under $10M per. If these guys are not long-term answers, should Boyd be brought in for a look-see?

• Pie 2

On 3/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, Bear Hands said:

Unless the Vikes are staying aggressive and now looking to use two first and next years to move up very high.

You got it. There are a lot of potential WR hungry teams (Bills, Baltimore, KC, U.S., etc.) right after 23. Houston has Collins, Dell and Brown in the fold. They think a run could keep their interests dropping. Minnesota is thinking QB jump. Darnold is not the answer and 2025 QBs are thin as heck.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:14 PM, Bear Hands said:

My guess is teams may not view a dip between 12-45ish this year. They maintain that, get ann extra flyer, and gain a second next year.

I see a big drop off early and then a lot of similar value for a bit. Not a deep first but decent late 1st to 3rd talent pool this year.

Exactly, the Texans see a flat line from 23-42 and get a 2nd in 2025. Seeing how Minnesota will likely be starting a rookie QB, that 2025 second could be a good one. It’s a gamble but the Texans are a good young team and seems like an OK gamble to me.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:21 PM, exactlyzack said:

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.f537024bfbfb1780d939ac56dfaeecff.jpeg

That 2025 1st looking better. Will the Rams stay improving or will something like this cause the rookies, who had Donald taking the heat for them, fold under more pressure. One Stafford injury like 2022 and Rams back in the top 10 picks.

• Beer 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:50 PM, ChuckWag78 said:

I have always like Gallup. I think he will get picked up relatively quickly. Only 28. 

Geez, I honestly didn’t think he was that old. If he’s really cheap. His stats aren’t impressive at all for playing on a high volume passing team. Reminds me of DJ Chark with the one good year but when you get 113 targets, you should get 1000 yards.

As a WR3, sure, but he better be damn cheap otherwise it’s a waste of cap that a rookie WR would be better value. Also, there’s a chance that the rookie becomes a stud. Gallup doesn’t have anywhere near that ceiling.

11 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Where does everyone rank Tyler Boyd amongst the available FAs. With Williams and Gallup scheduled to come in, would Boyd be equally as appealing?

Here they are side-by-side w/ 5-year averages:

Tyler Boyd                   6'2" 203 29 years old               72rec - 828yds - 4TD

Michael Gallup            6'1" 198  28 years old               47rec - 647yds - 4TD

Mike Williams              6'4" 218  29 years old              51 rec - 809yds -4TD

Williams is rumored at $12M per. I feel like Gallup and Boyd will be under $10M per. If these guys are not long-term answers, should Boyd be brought in for a look-see?

I’d go Williams, Boyd, Gallup for my preference of those three. 

At this point, I’d prefer to wait and see what we, and other teams acquire, in the draft at WR. 

I think it would be wise to get one of the FA WR in the building.  Don't wanna get to April 25 and HAVE to draft a receiver early.  Gives us flexibility to address other areas if the value is better.. ie CB/EDGE.  There's a chance there is a run on receivers early, that would leave us in panic mode.  On the flip side if the draft falls perfectly for us, okay there's a log jam and we can figure it out from there.  Better to have and not need than need and not have like we have SO often over the last seasons.

30 minutes ago, Steelo said:

I think it would be wise to get one of the FA WR in the building.  Don't wanna get to April 25 and HAVE to draft a receiver early.  Gives us flexibility to address other areas if the value is better.. ie CB/EDGE.  There's a chance there is a run on receivers early, that would leave us in panic mode.  On the flip side if the draft falls perfectly for us, okay there's a log jam and we can figure it out from there.  Better to have and not need than need and not have like we have SO often over the last seasons.

Would be nice to have a WR at 33 or 39 be somewhat of a luxury pick. 

• Flames 1

21 hours ago, top dawg said:

Take a look at Jordon Love and his predecessor Rodgers.  QBs drafted later in round 1 are lesser players, but I bet the bust rate is lower.  Rookie QBs + bad teams often causes the QB to lose confidence. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

That 2025 1st looking better. Will the Rams stay improving or will something like this cause the rookies, who had Donald taking the heat for them, fold under more pressure. One Stafford injury like 2022 and Rams back in the top 10 picks.

Even if not, the will still be the biggest personnel blunder in franchise history(move over Sean Gilbert, Sam Darnold, Matt Kalil).

Edited by kungfoodude