• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR Diontae Johnson to the Panthers

15 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

It wouldn't shock me if the Panthers took a corner at 33, which I'm all for depending on the board.

Yeah I agree,You almost have to take one with either one of those 2nd round picks or the 3rd round pick because we are light on corner now.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I'm a little torn on this move

On one hand, I love the trade in a vacuum, we definitely won the trade and fill a big hole with a good player.

On the other hand, he only has this season left on his contract and has been pretty vocal about his displeasure with his QB play the last few years.

If he has a solid season but Bryce still struggles, I could see him refuse to sign an extension and put us right back into the same situation next year of needing a WR and/or dealing with a franchise tag mess.

Was really hoping we'd be able to lock up a #1 WR for the next 3-5 years somehow this offseason, but I guess if we couldn't do that, this is the next best option, right?

He's had a 1100 yard season with average QB play. I say we got a steal if Bryce can improve behind this Oline. The question is how much money does he want?

Just now, App Panther said:

There's almost no risk with what we gave up. We were going to cut Donte. 

Oh, absolutely, and that's why I do love the trade as well, it's a no risk move at this moment.

The risk is that it means we go another offseason without doing anything about our long term WR situation if he decides he wants to play with a real QB after this season.  And given his displeasure with the Steelers QB situation the last few years, I struggle to see how he's going to play with Bryce this year and then say "yea, I want to sign up for another few years of that"

Think it's one of those trades that I'll just be both happy and concerned with in the end.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

On one hand, I love the trade in a vacuum, we definitely won the trade and fill a big hole with a good player.

On the other hand, he only has this season left on his contract and has been pretty vocal about his displeasure with his QB play the last few years.

If he has a solid season but Bryce still struggles, I could see him refuse to sign an extension and put us right back into the same situation next year of needing a WR and/or dealing with a franchise tag mess.

Was really hoping we'd be able to lock up a #1 WR for the next 3-5 years somehow this offseason, but I guess if we couldn't do that, this is the next best option, right?

He is also in a contract year.  He is heavily incentivized to figure it out with Bryce.  It either works, or it doesn't.  No offense to Donte, but we didn't lose much in this deal.  He was gone anyway.

• Pie 2

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

He's had a 1100 yard season with average QB play. I say we got a steal if Bryce can improve behind this Oline. The question is how much money does he want?

My issue with the trade has 0% to do with Johnson the player or what kind of contract he might want

It's that he's made it known he has been unhappy with the Steelers QB play the last few years and I can't see him going from that to Bryce and then wanting to re-sign with us next offseason.

I like this trade, but I also wanted to find a more long term WR solution this year, which we now won't be able to unless we get lucky and hit a home run in the draft.

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's early yet. If it can go wrong the Panthers will find a way to make it happen. 

That's how I feel right now. If it was anyone other than the Panthers making this move, I'd think the Steelers got hosed. As it stands, I can't help but wonder what's going to go wrong. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Tank said:

Stop mocking the Georgia WR to us now we need vertical speed now 

Ladd ran a 4.39 forty! He's still the guy if he's there. Diontae could be a short term fix since he's on the last year of his contract. Thielen can't be expected to keep playing at a high level - father time is undefeated. Speed guys can be had later in the draft. Route runners produce. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I think we will draft 1 or 2 wrs.  So if the worst-case scenario happens,  you have 2 more.  In addition, he'd know that we are drafting a QB #1 in 2025, so I dunno if he'd leave if he knew another QB was coming in.   Go to a place with a good QB, and you are likely the #2 at best.

Edited by MHS831

Just now, tukafan21 said:

My issue with the trade has 0% to do with Johnson the player or what kind of contract he might want

It's that he's made it known he has been unhappy with the Steelers QB play the last few years and I can't see him going from that to Bryce and then wanting to re-sign with us next offseason.

I like this trade, but I also wanted to find a more long term WR solution this year, which we now won't be able to unless we get lucky and hit a home run in the draft.

We need short term and long term help for Bryce Young.  Rookies take time to get up and running.  I consider this a one year rental.  We still need to go draft a kid 

Just now, MHS831 said:

I think we will draft 1 or 2 wrs.  So if the worst-case scenario happens,  you have 2 more.  In addition, he'd know that we are drafting a QB #1 in 2025, so I dunno if he'd leave if he knew another QB was coming in. 

I'm not sure I want to draft another qb to develop after already rebuilding the team for around bryce.  grab a retred and go win some games