• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good FA so far minus Burns trade

NAS

2 minutes ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

Not the rescue dog guards they adopted from the shelter, I’m referring to Corbett and Christensen

So you want to rely on 2 guards coming back from back to back long term injuries. Corbett from ACL and MCL tears in back to back seasons who also looked terrible in the few games he did play this past season. Christensen from a broken ankle to a torn biceps in the very next game he played who has never been anything more than an average guard even when not injured. Yeah, no thanks.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I actually think he’ll probably have a pretty good season to prove the haters wrong or whatever motivation he’ll have. But, he wouldn’t have had the same season here if he had stayed. It would have been another mail it in season on the franchise tag playing not to get injured. Glad to have that bum ass attitude out of our locker room.

I see him coming out guns blazing like he did in ATL for us, then regress back to the mean by the end of the season. If he makes plays that wins games for them, it won’t bug me in the least. I’m happy he’s gone. 

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Gained:

2nd, 5th

DT A’Shawn Robinson

LB Josie Jewell

WR Diontae Johnson

RG Robert Hunt

LG Damien Lewis

Maybe: EDGE DJ Wonnum

Lost/Ditched:

Frankie Luvu

Brian Burns

Jeremy Chinn

Donte Jackson

YGM

Bradley Bozeman

Vonn Bell

I like our side of the ledger much better.  I think we come away in better shape than we were 2 days ago.

• Pie 4

The beginning of this off season needs to be taken with grace.  What we are doing now should have been done when Rhule was hired.  When Wilks turned this team around using the power run game we learned a few things about the roster.

1.  It was not designed to win via the pass with either Baker or Sam D.  There was no true offensive identity.

2. The power running game worked because Wilks committed to it.  We tried to build off of the success of one coach by replacing him with another who had a completely different system and expecting to build upon that success by ... moving away from the offensive system that proved to be successful.

With the mistake of creating an "all star" coaching staff, it was apparent that the team needs to be blown up.  Burns showed last year that he may want to be called a dawg, he fights more like a cat.  He showed up, but didn't fully show up (or out).  Derek Brown on the other hand, for lack of a better term, kept pounding. Brown is the long term investment for this team at this time.

By trading Burns you were able to add nearly 4 players to the roster for the 24 million cap hit that was assigned to him.  You also get two draft picks.  While we can argue the value of those picks is the fault of the front office, it is really on Burns.  His insistence to use Sheena Quick as his own PR frim lowered his trade value here, and after 3 coaches and 5 losing seasons he wanted out.  That is not the type of player you commit 30M a year to.

We finally have a football guy doing football things behind the scenes and it is starting to show.  Everyone gets all warm and fuzzy in the off season, but at least we see a plan in effect here.  Build from the inside out.  We just went from 2-4 deep on the O-line to being possibly 6 deep.  Corbet's move to center is not all that big of a change.  This happens all the time.

Our biggest need is to draft at least average over the next three years.  We have had 29 picks since the 2020 draft. 13 are still on the roster.  That is all you need to know.  Why did we trade 3 first round picks under 26 years old?  We needed to repair 4 years of TERRIBLE drafting outside of the first round.

I truly believe we will be on the upswing.  I see us winning between 5-6 games, but being competitive in nearly all of them.  Last year we weren't remotely competitive at all.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, BeenPounding said:

The beginning of this off season needs to be taken with grace.  What we are doing now should have been done when Rhule was hired.  When Wilks turned this team around using the power run game we learned a few things about the roster.

1.  It was not designed to win via the pass with either Baker or Sam D.  There was no true offensive identity.

2. The power running game worked because Wilks committed to it.  We tried to build off of the success of one coach by replacing him with another who had a completely different system and expecting to build upon that success by ... moving away from the offensive system that proved to be successful.

With the mistake of creating an "all star" coaching staff, it was apparent that the team needs to be blown up.  Burns showed last year that he may want to be called a dawg, he fights more like a cat.  He showed up, but didn't fully show up (or out).  Derek Brown on the other hand, for lack of a better term, kept pounding. Brown is the long term investment for this team at this time.

By trading Burns you were able to add nearly 4 players to the roster for the 24 million cap hit that was assigned to him.  You also get two draft picks.  While we can argue the value of those picks is the fault of the front office, it is really on Burns.  His insistence to use Sheena Quick as his own PR frim lowered his trade value here, and after 3 coaches and 5 losing seasons he wanted out.  That is not the type of player you commit 30M a year to.

We finally have a football guy doing football things behind the scenes and it is starting to show.  Everyone gets all warm and fuzzy in the off season, but at least we see a plan in effect here.  Build from the inside out.  We just went from 2-4 deep on the O-line to being possibly 6 deep.  Corbet's move to center is not all that big of a change.  This happens all the time.

Our biggest need is to draft at least average over the next three years.  We have had 29 picks since the 2020 draft. 13 are still on the roster.  That is all you need to know.  Why did we trade 3 first round picks under 26 years old?  We needed to repair 4 years of TERRIBLE drafting outside of the first round.

I truly believe we will be on the upswing.  I see us winning between 5-6 games, but being competitive in nearly all of them.  Last year we weren't remotely competitive at all.

Excellent post!

I like the roster building. Even if Bryce doesn’t take the next step (which we hope he will) we will be in a better position to draft next year and feel good about the future 

10 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I really don’t see how Morgan can be faulted for the Burns situation.

The majority of individuals on this board have stated that Burns isn’t worth $30M a year and the front office agreed.

So what are the options:

1) Burns plays under the tag and half asses is all season, just like he did last year.

2) Burns holds out and we are stuck with a cap hold.

3) The franchise tag is rescinded and we lose him for nothing (ex. Josh Norman).

4) Burns is traded and you get what you can for him while opening up more money.

Morgan did the best he could with the cards he was dealt.

Yea...I wasn't happy with the trade and kinda judged too harshly. Thought he jumped too early but Burns absolutely had to go. He was a malcontent and think his attitude was really bad for the locker room. Just had to rip the band aid off.

10 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Burns quitting on his team over money showed his true colors. He got exactly what he deserved. The NY sports media. One trick pony better find paydirt in the NFC East. I’d have let him go for a pack of grape big league chew so I’m really pretty pleased with what we got. 

As much as I disagree with forking over big $ for free agents in the beginning stages of FA, nothing they’ve done has been out of line. I’ll be patient and hopefully less synical. 

Everyone was so ready to run Peppers out of town also...

Burns is 25 our rookie edge from last season is the same age and had 0 sacks.

Sacks don't tell the whole story and we will see what he did for this team this up coming season.

Not Burns fault they didn't sign him heading into his last season so his pay would have been lower and people act like the cap isn't jumping up every season. The longer you wait to pay a guy the more it cost. Im sure most ppl would take less pay at work.

11 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Just realized Miles Sanders is still here, right? Lol

I think you might as well hang onto Sanders for this season and see what he can do if healthy behind this revamped line and scheme (Reich/Brown's offensive scheme was awful) given his $4m base salary for 2024 is guaranteed. If he sucks again, we can cut him after the season and only take on ~$3m in dead cap. 

Edited by UNCrules2187

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Tampa, with dave had the leagues worst rushing attack

he inherited the leagues worst rushing attack by a significant margin.

they eventually got better, but he had a huge mountain to climb when he got there.

Yeah, the Burns deal was a sunk cost bc he inherited a completely fuged situation.  I still was upset about what we netted from it, but he wasn't left with many options or choices at the point he stepped in.  So, I stepped back off the ledge with that one.

I'm still kind of sore about letting Luvu go, but it sounds like the offer was there, he just chose to go with Quinn for philosophy/scheme...  so again, nothing much Morgan could've done about it other than locked Luvu up way earlier before FA hit, but unless the offer was crazy, he was probably was going to test the waters regardless.

Everything aside from those moves so far?  NGL, I give it a solid A on the grading scale.  You can see some sort of direction finally.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, BeenPounding said:

Burns showed last year that he may want to be called a dawg, he fights more like a cat.

as one who has been attacked by a cat before (thing went insane)...burns didn't fight like a cat.

• Flames 1