• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line investment across the NFL

frankw

Since we all agree the OL was a major issue that needed resolving and we have now done so at significant cost in the short term. I thought it would be a good discussion to keep up with as the offseason gets underway and we keep tabs on our progress building the line.

Currently we are leading the way by a fairly significant margin.

Here's to hoping the results line up with expectations.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

21 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

We have to pay a bit more for the same players because the team is so bad. Call it a surcharge if you will. It's the price you pay to convince a good player to join your crappy team.

whatever it takes. 

got to spend money to make money. i guess that fits here.

maybe you've got to spend more now to spend less later?

i don't know. i'm just glad that we are seriously investing in it finally. i don't care who is playing QB. it needed done.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

We have to pay a bit more for the same players because the team is so bad. Call it a surcharge if you will. It's the price you pay to convince a good player to join your crappy team.

Hopefully we can front load some of the cost during the crappy reset year, and these guys are still playing well for the remainder of their contract 

One thing that has struck me the last couple of years watching NFL games is just how bad OL play is across the board. There's a handful of truly good OLs and everyone else is varying degrees of suck. I honestly think that's why every team is transitioning more and more to offenses that focus on getting the ball out of the QB's hand fast. It's not so much of a choice but a necessity.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The Panthers are due some good luck. That's my hope with these moves. But you also can't ignore the elephant in the room that is our history with free agency and generally when we've made a big swing from about average level of resources into an area to top of the league it hasn't usually been pretty.

I still want to see the OL depth addressed in the draft and honestly if we've dug ourselves this far to address the position group I'd even make a move for a decent center because I'm not all in on Corbett. Remember at one point we all thought Bozeman was the guy of the future now he's looking for a job. Keep stacking depth.

• Beer 1

I think it's also important to consider the monetary investment in the OL is less consequential when your QB is still on a rookie deal.  We can afford the investment in the OL.  We just need Bryce to be the QB they drafted him to be.  I don't feel he is, buy this is the first step in finding out.  If he isn't, cool...  the next QB brought in will likely be on another rookie deal or a cheap stopgap contract snd the OL will still be in place.  So, we're good.