• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just curious, what would it take for you to trade #33 pick during draft?

If a team is trying to trade for our pick maybe we should find out who they want and just take that player. We have the worst roster in the NFL so pretty much every team has better decision makers than us.  

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Growl said:

the guys 25-40 are generally all really similar, having two picks in that range isn’t too bad and the team is in a position where they are going to have to make up ground on this rebuild, so I probably wouldn’t implode if they turned it down.

but an extra 1 to bandage the 2 were missing next season is probably more value 

in any case I don’t think anyone is actually offering a future 1 for anybody in this class 

I agree with whole point about the 25-40 range but you can’t forget how valuable that 5th year option is.  Plus, the whole fact that you never know, that 1st pick could be an early 1st pick if it all goes wrong for the other team  

Also, only way someone offers a first rounder is if one of the projected first round QBs that a team is in love with, drops to 33rd.  You never know. 

Keep the picks. I wouldn't want to give one away even for a first round selection in 2025.

This is a good draft in terms of talent for the first 3 rounds. We've already improved our team thru the first week in free agency. We're almost assured of getting some 1st round caliber players who slip into round 2 with the 33rd and 39th selections. We also have the first pick in round 3 (#65).

If we choose wisely, getting 3 of the top players between 1-65 almost offsets not having a first round selection this year...especially if they turn out to be quality starters.

Love knowing that we'll have almost 24 hours of teams to throw offers our way if a player they really want falls out of the 1st.  At the same time, there are always players that fall out of the 1st who shouldn't have, and we have so many holes, have to think there will be someone there we really want.

But if the right player falls out of the first and it's not someone we want/need, let's get some teams into a bidding war, I can see some teams putting out a great offer for it if they want to move up for a QB and don't want to get jumped.

My ideal would be someone's 2024 2nd and 2025 1st for 33 and then depending how far that fall is in the 2nd, a 4th or 5th rounder.

Maybe the Vikings or Raiders want to move up for a QB that fell out of the first, they sit at 42 and 44 in the 2nd.  I'd give them 33 and say the 5th we got from the Burns trade for their 2nd and next year's 1st.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

16 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I want to just keep both picks and not trade quality for quantity

After night 1 there’s always a small handful of players you like at the top of round 2. With two picks up at the top I’m keeping them

I agree with this. I prefer just keep our second rounders and not trade down unless some team gives us a kings ransom (obviously they won't) for it. By kings ransom I would mean something along the lines of what we have up to the Bears last year to draft Bryce Young. Give me quality over quantity this draft and let's see if we have learned how to actually draft quality first. 

• Beer 1

Wouldn’t be interested in trading down just pick up some later picks. I would be willing to trade 33 for next year’s 1st and since it’s the first pick of the second round we could probably get more. This year’s 3rd or 4th plus next year’s 1st maybe. 

Two firsts next year would be mighty useful for getting our new QB next year and if we suck bad enough we can use our own to get him then that extra first can be a first round playmaker for the new QB rather than a second round one this year. 

I think the only player I would trade up into the early 20s for would be if Brock Bowers somehow fell that far in the draft.

I might look at moving up to 31 to get ahead of the Chiefs if there is still a really good WR we like since that shouldn't cost us much.

Otherwise, stand pat and get a WR at 33 or 39 - there should be  good one there

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

But if the right player falls out of the first and it's not someone we want/need, let's get some teams into a bidding war, I can see some teams putting out a great offer for it if they want to move up for a QB and don't want to get jumped.

My ideal would be someone's 2024 2nd and 2025 1st for 33 and then depending how far that fall is in the 2nd, a 4th or 5th rounder.

Maybe I'm in the minority here. But, if I were a GM, there is NO WAY I'd trade away a 1st round pick in next year's draft class for a 2nd round pick in the current year. That's the type of deal Marty Hurney would make and have all of us ready to throw shoes at the television on draft night.

We didn't have 1st round selections in 2009 or 2010. Hurney was so desperate to get "his guy" that he would trade away a first in future years to nab a JAG in the 2nd round of the present draft. I seem to recall us doing that one year to move up to select the great "Everette Brown" at DE in 2009. We also didn't have a pick in 2010 until #48 when we chose Jimmy Clausen. We had traded away our round 1 pick in 2010 prior to the draft night.

The scenario you laid out is might work if you were dealing with an inept GM (i.e. Hurney). No one with a rational mind would consider such a move unless the GM realized team roster was so stacked that a #1 pick might not be able to crack the starting lineup for some time. Then, I could see trading down a bit to pick up some additional choices to build solid depth at each position. Other than that, use those picks to get the best player. You can never have too much talent on a football team.