• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on fixing Bryce's footwork

9 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

like how he implies after a year of tape, they still have to figure out what routes and concepts bryce is comfortable with 

That's a heavy, heavy statement. And a true one, too.

At least it looks like the HC understands his assignment. Now whether he can do something with it is the question.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

like how he implies after a year of tape, they still have to figure out what routes and concepts bryce is comfortable with 

Yea, it almost feels like young was selected by the NFL to play for carolina and Carolina just found out right afterwards.....

I still hold the claim no chance former players like Dan, mccown and even Reich met face-to-face with young and still thought " Hes the one..."

Im waaaaay past wanting to fire the entire scouting staff held over form the herniay days, those guys are horrific!! followed young for 5 years my arse.....fire those BUMS!

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Yea, it almost feels like young was selected by the NFL to play for carolina and Carolina just found out right afterwards.....

I still hold the claim no chance former players like Dan, mccown and even Reich met face-to-face with young and still thought " Hes the one..."

Im waaaaay past wanting to fire the entire scouting staff held over form the herniay days, those guys are horrific!! followed young for 5 years my arse.....fire those BUMS!

I am telling yall by what reich was trying, what fitt was saying and how thomas was trying to use young, that by 3/4 of the way into training camp the staff knew they were in deep poo after seeing what young could and couldnt do on the field.   I mean they were still trying to install formations and plays like the pistol trying to figure poo out at the 12th hour.  Reich knew he was a dead man walking from the jump

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

29 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am telling yall by what reich was trying, what fitt was saying and how thomas was trying to use young, that by 3/4 of the way into training camp the staff knew they were in deep poo after seeing what young could and couldnt do on the field.   I mean they were still trying to install formations and plays like the pistol trying to figure poo out at the 12th hour.  Reich knew he was a dead man walking from the jump

Sure seemed that way. Like once they got him into camp and found out just how limited he was it was basically full on panic. Like we just traded up to #1 overall to draft UDFA level raw talent.

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

and another thing, did he work with geno and bakers footwork or just install a scheme that benefited their skill set?  He seems to be taking a poo ton of credit for a lot of things

If only one of the above is true, I still think that's commendable. Our coaching staff doesn't appear to have done either for Bryce during the 2023 season.

We're all hoping for the best. But, if Bryce is plays like he did last season, do you guys think Tepper would just face reality and go into 2025 knowing that still need a franchise QB?

Just now, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I look forward to the pitchforks as soon as Canales has a few bad games lol. And he will as long as Bryce is our QB.

Yea, this is a big overlook by us panthers fan high on the hopuim. Tampa Bay was struggling hardcore until like week 10. Also Baker was doing his best Wilson 3rd down magic to carry the team.

Ask or visit the cesspool of Tampa forums, it was a ugly start and fans already wanting heads to roll mid-season. Lucky they found the fire starter before the season ended. Panthers gave him big issues and both games panthers had a decent chance to win. I think one was 9-0,lols...

I will not be one cause I think getting just 3 wins will be miracle-tier. 

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We work on the footwork regardless of who the qb is, every year at the beginning of camp.

Tom Brady, I know you are the greatest of all time, but we are going to start this years camp by working on your footwork.  lol

I do hope he can turn the kid into a good qb.  

well thats the thing that is a bit vague.  He was a wr coach in seattle, but some accredit him for working with russ, he as a qb coach in seattle and he gets credit for fixing geno, he was the oc in tampa and gets credit for fixing baker, and now as head coach he is going to be working solely with young?  he may be a good coach but he is getting a ton of credit for things that we just arent sure of.    And I have said all along if he was solely hired to fix bryce then we are up poo creek.

Canales at least has an intelligent answer and doesn't just give coach speak. We know that footwork is important, but if you watched that entire video, Bryce wasn't even given 3 seconds to plant his feet. Bryce was running for his life in that entire video. Canales talks about getting the ball out fast and that will help the line, but the line also needs to at least give him 3 seconds. Investing in the O-line this off season is to give Bryce time to work on his footwork! 

• Pie 3

Anywho. I like the insight from Canales. I can appreciate that he doesn't just give canned coach speak answers to everything. Certainly the footwork can be addressed but the issue is things like for example the baffling pogo hop that Bryce has apparently done for years isn't related to footwork it's so he can see the field. He's had time to do things like this in college because he played for Alabama. Canales certainly has his work cut out for him.

• Beer 3

It's revisionist history that's say Bryce Young was the "consensus" number one.  He was absolutely not.  People were split between the two.  I do think that there was a lot of media hype for Bryce, but league sources were very guarded.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

This is one of my biggest issues, even MORE than his height/weight.

For a #1 overall pick, young had some of the worse footwork in history. It was like he's never even done drills once. Even old frank seen how bad and thought "no point in working on this, take too long to fix..."

His biggest issue is his lack of athleticism (which includes arm strength)., closely followed by his fundamentals. 

Consensus #1 overall pick, apparently.