• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Scott Fitterer draft any good players?

Horn is the only name that he could fall back on and unfortunately he can't stay healthy. Even looking beyond that Surtain has been the better pick at that position overall homer glasses aside.

Fitterer was a fugazi that had this fanbase sold hook line and sinker on his persona similarly to Gettleman. But at least Gettleman had some level of success at any point. Scott Fitterer is one of the worst general managers in NFL history.

• Pie 2

Not saying I am some sort of NFL GM type talent evaluator but never during any of his drafts was I like “ hell yeah that’s a stud.” 

I was usually like “who?” or “this early?”  Which I usually didn’t do until like Day 3 with Hurney.

I believe the Tepper pulling every string is extremely exaggerated and Fitterer was just that bad. Tepper was certainly wanting to be aggressive in finding a QB but Fitterer and Rhule were just bad. I'm not going to blame Tepper for the specific personal decisions beyond his hires.

I had hope for Fitterer until I didnt.

• Pie 2

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

There's no way at this moment I would consider Ickey "really good". Even in his rookie season he struggled mightily in pass protection. 

"Mightily" is a bit hyperbolic. He was inconsistent which realistically made him average. He has some very good games in his rookie season and a couple of clunkers.

• Pie 2

On 4/5/2024 at 8:01 AM, hepcat said:

Real question that we will obviously have to wait a few more years to answer. But have the Panthers actually “hit” on a player since the Hurney days? Horn I guess is good but very injury prone. Outside of him, Brady Christensen I guess? Otherwise it’s mediocrity to downright sh*t.

Maybe having a former NFL player will work better-we have tried the ex-minor league baseball player, the ex-sports reporter for a second-rate newspaper--we have even tried one of the most successful high school football coaches in the nation.    We shall see, brother.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, csx said:

I believe the Tepper pulling every string is extremely exaggerated and Fitterer was just that bad. Tepper was certainly wanting to be aggressive in finding a QB but Fitterer and Rhule were just bad. I'm not going to blame Tepper for the specific personal decisions beyond his hires.

I had hope for Fitterer until I didnt.

I think Christensen was a good pick but has been misused--I do not see him as a G; I see him as a swing T.  I think Chinn was probably misused.  Now that Ickey has an OL coach, I think he will get better--so part of this has to do with the coaching staff, but if they are not on the same page, then you tend to put round pegs in square holes.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Maybe having a former NFL player will work better-we have tried the ex-minor league baseball player, the ex-sports reporter for a second-rate newspaper--we have even tried one of the most successful high school football coaches in the nation.    We shall see, brother.

Which one was Robert Dinero's fat talentless cousin?

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

"Mightily" is a bit hyperbolic. He was inconsistent which realistically made him average. He has some very good games in his rookie season and a couple of clunkers.

As a successful OT, you have to be able to stave off all kinds of rushers and moves.  Some matchups are better than others.  However, it is up the the system and the weekly game planning to make the adjustments each week.  Does he need help from a TE?  RB?  What kinds of plays can be called to neutralize the rush?  Do limited offensive skill players allow for more stunts and blitzes?  The more thinking he has to do, the slower he plays and the less aggressive he becomes.  If I were game planning against the Panthers, I would blitz, stunt, and (last year) apply more middle pressure than the GCG combo could handle, forcing the 5-10 QB to roll out of the pocket.  Ickey was on an island a lot, and his mechanics never seemed to improve.  I blame the coaching staff until I see what he can do in a new system with a new coach.  Our coaching has been terrible.  With solid Guards and (Hopefully) an improvement at C (Corbett is more mobile than Bozeman, something this system requires), I think the RBs can focus more on helping the LT when needed instead of the guards.  The RBs do have a rule in pass protection--inside out. 

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Which one was Robert Dinero's fat talentless cousin?

I am under the impression that all of our former GMs were either directly or indirectly related to Robert Dinero. Gettlemen sure fits my mental image of that description.  I would say that Hurney was adopted, but look at him.  Nobody would believe me. 

By the way,  I think it is very encouraging that Morgan addressed the OL and G position.  I think it is positive that he saw Bozeman as a liability.  While everyone was screaming about WRs and Edge rushers, he started building the interior of the OL.  What GM have we had that prioritized the OL?  Cam never had a great OL.  The best OL we have had that I remember?  The 2003 Super Bowl team.  For 20 years, the OL has been neglected.

The OL impacts the WRs, the RBs, the QB, the defense, and special teams.  I am actually excited to see what they will do in 2024.

I am worried about the ILB position and CB spots more than I am WR right now because I am confident we will add a WR in the draft and if necessary, can go with the two vets and Mingo if the rookie busts.  I would love to see a marquee TE.  If Bryce improves enough (I have no doubt that he will improve), ya never know.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:13 AM, JawnyBlaze said:

Horn is elite when healthy and was the right pick. He’s better than Surtain and the injuries couldn’t be predicted. Ickey is really good, one down year in a clusterfug of bad coaching and Mr. No Pocket Presence doesn’t change that. I’m confident he’ll get back on track. Christiansen and Chuba are decent. 

Stop being a Homer, Horn can't even stay on the field and Surtain is an all pro. 

Chuba is a jag.

BC is a league average OL. 

Icky sucked at pass pro coming out and he hasn't developed at all. 

Fitts drafts were piss poor at best.