• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darin Gantt: Trade down from #33

Depends entirely on the situation.

Who's on the board? How far are we trading down? What are we getting in return?

I don't have any issues with trading down, but it needs to make sense. I do think often times staying where you are and taking the better player provides more value than trading down and getting 2 or more lesser players.

• Pie 1

Nobody said the trade had to be franchise changing--and this draft is loaded--where the level of talent drops around 7, then again around 15 but the shelf for the next tier stays pretty flat until about 40. 

Take the last example--a fourth to move up 5 spaces.  If I did not have a player I liked, or if there were three or four on my board there, I might take that deal.

The reason there is not a lot of action is not because there is no interest.  When Marty drafted Jimmy Clausen, he actually tried to trade up to 33 with the Rams, but they turned him away.  Chances are a player with first round talent drops to #33, making it the equivalent of trading a first for a second and fourth.  That is not equal value.

The Panthers really need to replace that missing second rounder in the 2025 draft to give them capital they might need to move up in round 1 for a QB if they need to do that.

Keeping that in mind, I might consider a future second to swap 2024 second rounders. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Jay Roosevelt said:

Depends entirely on the situation.

Who's on the board? How far are we trading down? What are we getting in return?

I don't have any issues with trading down, but it needs to make sense. I do think often times staying where you are and taking the better player provides more value than trading down and getting 2 or more lesser players.

And the bottom line is the talent available.  This draft should have some studs at 33 when in the past, there was a drop off.  Markets are about supply and demand, not history.

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

And the bottom line is the talent available.  This draft should have some studs at 33 when in the past, there was a drop off.  Markets are about supply and demand, not history.

I doubt we trade back from 33 unless a qb or 2 have dropped.   I would simply go BPA at 33 if we stayed there and use 39 as a play chip after we see how the draft is going

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, SurvivalSloth said:

I'm not a fan of the two dimes > one quarter mindset. Take the BPA. 

When I have mocked, I do not like the trade down scenarios, but I am trying to fill that second round pick in 2025.  I think you trade to keep from reaching.

Just now, MHS831 said:

When I have mocked, I do not like the trade down scenarios, but I am trying to fill that second round pick in 2025.  I think you trade to keep from reaching.

Like you said, the second round is loaded, so moving back a few spots isn't going to hurt.  If we aren't in love with the pick at #33 or #39, move back.  I would really like another 3rd or 4th rounder this draft.