• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle was a run heavy team

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

his scrambling ability, especially early in his career, was legendary.  The way he could get himself out of trouble and still make a play was poetic.  I dont see bryce having anything close to that type of skill set.

thin line between poetic and panic.

the difference is the end result.

guys caught wilson's throws thrown on a prayer while falling down. that's what made it looks so good. if he didn't have guys that could adjust to the ball and catch it, it would have looked a lot worse. he owes a lot to those receivers.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, I don't think you can add legit comp.  Not last year or this year.  I mean, Bryce is going to lose that comp in offenses not geared to his skill set.  I think you just let him flame out.  

The Panthers drafted a unicorn and then didn't want to build a unique O for him.  So be it.  Move on after this year. 

Right but if it goes down that path then letting Bryce Young flame out and waste the season is only going to continue this downward skid of the culture within our locker room and create resentment amongst some of the roster.

At this point all I'm left with is that Canales somehow works a miracle with Bryce.

But then the catch22 of that is the FO doubles down because they are deeply invested in Bryce Young and try to build around him and we hover around just mediocre enough to compete for the playoffs but never doing much else.

All of this is a harsh lesson on why you don't trade up to 1 for QB's and if you do every single time you select the one who is the best passer point blank period.

Let's get to camp and get this shitshow rolling!

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, I don't think you can add legit comp.  Not last year or this year.  I mean, Bryce is going to lose that comp in offenses not geared to his skill set.  I think you just let him flame out.  

The Panthers drafted a unicorn and then didn't want to build a unique O for him.  So be it.  Move on after this year. 

Definitely set the wheels in motion if Bryce doesn't show huge improvement this season. But don't draft a subpar prospect just for the sake of drafting a QB. Continue to build the team until a stud is available. Dalton can probably hold down the fort with the o line changes, until the right guy is available in the draft or FA (less likely). 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

most of us watching wilson hated playing against him. he was good, but a lot of what he did was luck. he'd get into trouble, scramble around, and then just toss the ball and hope that there was a guy there who could get to it and that happened a lot. i think there are parallels there for sure. bryce scrambles and will probably just end up tossing up the ball and hoping that someone will be there. i think XL can be one of those guys who make those adjustments to the ball the way Wilson's WRs did. 

Always said Wilson is the best bad QB I've ever watched, kind of crazy its worked so well for him for so long.  As for here, we're all just hoping the OL remake and new weapons can mitigate Bryce's struggles.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Works great when you have prime Russell Wilson and Beast Mode. Tall order for our guys.

And a passing game works great when you have prime Brady or Mahomes.  Unfortunately, getting those types of players is even harder.  

I think the coach will go heavy run this year so we don't have to rely on Bryce much.  And if turns out Bryce can actually play, we work in the passing game more and more over the next few years.  And if he can't, we draft someone else next year.  Sucks, but imo those are the only choices we have at this point.  

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, frankw said:

Right but if it goes down that path then letting Bryce Young flame out and waste the season is only going to continue this downward skid of the culture within our locker room and create resentment amongst some of the roster.

Don’t worry we’ll put Andy in and win 3 of the last 5 games to build culture and drop down to the 5th pick.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Works great when you have prime Russell Wilson and Beast Mode. Tall order for our guys.

Yeah we don't have a beast mode, and Bryce doesn't threaten with the play action/scramble deep shots. That's the majority of the reason that formula worked in Seattle during that stretch. I hope Brooks is a good back, but he's definitely not a beast mode type. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

his scrambling ability, especially early in his career, was legendary.  The way he could get himself out of trouble and still make a play was poetic.  I dont see bryce having anything close to that type of skill set.

Bryce isn’t fast enough.

RW was really quick back then. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Wilson was a good athlete out of college, being pretty good at baseball as well.  Look at pictures of him as a rookie.  He had muscle on him.  He was just short.  But, Wilson also brought back the Fran Tarkenton style of scrambling that I don't think anyone was used to dealing with at the time.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)

Wilson was elusive with his legs and had lower body strength. He could have been a pro in the MLB if he wanted. While not having an outstanding arm he certainly had an uncanny ability to throw on the run with precision. He had the necessary arm strength to throw up those passes that landed perfectly in the hands of his receivers like he always had a horseshoe up his ass. That ability is because he played baseball.

I really don't like that you guys are making me say nice things about that jabroni.

But Bryce Young is none of the above. He is average or below average in pretty much everything relating to physical traits and arm strength is heavily debated at best at this point. The comps to Wilson never held up. And people who went even further with Brees were smoking some high grade poo.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I have never understood the bryce comparison to other small QBs. These guys are just superior athletes for their size and it isn't hard to see.

Say what you want about Kyler and his commitment to his craft ie playing Call of Duty or whatever. But he clearly isn't afraid of putting in time and effort in the weight room as a #1 overall draft pick. That's kind of a necessity if you want to be the guy for a franchise. Well unless you're the Carolina Panthers apparently.