• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Farewell to Jon Beason

Zod

Jon Beason was drafted the same year as Patrick Willis in San Francisco and Willis usually garnered all the praises of the talking heads while Beason consistently racked up comparable, if not better, numbers along the way.

Beason was the latest in what is becoming a Carolina Panther tradition- a middle linebacker who put it all on the field. The indomintable spirit of Sam Mills, the always full speed ahead Dan Morgan, the quick football mind of Jon Beason and now, Luke. Sure there were the odd years when a Michael Barrow or Lester Towns played the middle, Mark Fields even stepped into the middle on occasion. And who can forget Vinny Circiu and Chris Draft and Will Witherspoon... all of whom were called upon the fill the slot when Morgan was recuperating from yet another injury.

The fact is, the position has long been one of pride and excellence for the Panthers, and anyone who steps into the position should know who they have followed.

• Pie 7

happy and sad!!!

I agree I don't know how to feel. I know for a fact it is better for the organization for Beason and for the Giants so I should be happy.

But I feel .........meeeeeehhhh!

Kind of like when you get rid of your favorite recliner for a furniture upgrade.

He will be missed.

Dave Gettleman did Jon Beason a solid in all this, as did the Panthers organization overall.  And Beason has played his heart out here.  But this was a business correction that made the best out of this situation for everyone involved. 

Panthers get something in this deal- which is obviously better than the nothing they were going to get at the end of the year.  The Giants take out a low-risk flyer on the guy.  Beason gets a final shot to prove not only he can be a MLB, but that he can actually play at a professional level.

Beason has had 3 surgeries over the past 17 months.  That is not insignificant by any stretch.  I personally think his career is over.  I don't mean that as disrespect and I know Beason is not ready to admit it, but I don't think this is simply a matter of him "getting healthy."  He has had plenty of time to get healthy.  I just don't think he is the same player he once was.  There is no shame in that, but in the world of the NFL, you have to move on.

We should also remember how Jon handled Luke coming in here and taking his spot.  He could not have handled that situation with more class. 

I look forward to the day Beason has his number retired here.

This x 10000000