• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Serious question: Is it time to move on from Smith?

Rags

He finally starting to show his age so you want to dump the best player we've ever had?  He's no longer a #1, not his fault he's still treated that way.

That's just he way the business works. As long as he's hee, he's gonna be treated as a number 1. 

That's just he way the business works. As long as he's hee, he's gonna be treated as a number 1. 

He's practically been begging for the past couple of years now for someone to take his place.  He would gladly take his spot in the slot.  

We all love Smith, hell he' my favorite player. As I type this I have my Smith jersey on.

But he's 34 now, he's a former shell of himself. But to him, he's still a WR even though that's not the case. He's not seprating as well, as close to as physical and just kinda not AS mentally into this.

LaFell, Ginn and Olsen showed up today, this is what we wanted. Presences to take pressure away from Smith. But he just...didn't show up. Granted Cam was getting blitzed almost every play but still Smith just...couldn't get open. (See Second INT, even though  Daryl Smith was there, Smith wasn't open at all.) He's not the Smitty we know and love. It's not just this game, it's been the entire season for Steve.

Now I don't know if its Shula, or if it's Smth barking in Cam's ear, but we've been forci gthe ball to Smith like years previous, and with little to bad results. You could argue both of those INTs were because we forced the ball to Steve. 

Cam has show great strides ad improvements this year, this game he started off on fire and with Smith only notching one or two grabs. One could say that Steve is playing the worst of our 3 starting WRs, and that forcing the ball to him has been more disastrous than helpful.

Now on the flipside, he's still a physical and emotional leader to this team. And he brings fire and determination and that means a lot to this young team.

But at this point in Steves career, is it worth it?

Also, because I don't feel like making another thread, fug the officiating in this game. That was a sack-strip by Johnson.

He's still a WR just not THE WR. You won't find many WRs in the past or present who could still suit up for an NFL team, much less start, at that age. He's no longer #1 and will probably be on his way out because of his #1 WR contract. He's my fave Panther of all time and his legend status and his statue are a gimmie regardless of what he does this year. 

He's ready to become a radio guy with WFNZ....

In fact there are lots of Panthers in management, on the sidelines and on the field who would probably be better behind a mike.

It was a great run....worthy of jersey retirement....but the thrill is gone.

Move on from him?  No.

Time to reevaluate what he is and what he's worth at this stage in his career?  Yes.  And when I say that, I also mean that it's time for him to reevaluate too. 

He's no longer an elite #1 WR and what he brings to the table at this point is starting to get a little out of whack with his cap hit.

Archived