• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2014 Free Agent Signing

Paintballr

How well has our free agent signings this year performed? Who's left? Who could potentially stay? Well lets take a look....

S Anderson Russell

-Released Injury Settlement

TE Mike McNeil

-Released (I believe injury settlement but can't find it anywhere)

CB James Dockery

-Released, then resigned, 6 games this year with 11 tackles

S Roman Harper

-Signed a 2 year deal, started all 12 games so far this year. Lowest career total for tackles so far (excluding two years when injuried and missed games). Tied career high for 3 INT.

WR Jerricho Cotchery

-Started 11 games, 34 Rec for 436 yards and 0 TD. Tied career low in TDs at 0, 6th lowest in yards.

WR Tiquan Underwood

-Cut during Preseason

CB Antoine Cason

-Started 11 games, appeared in 12. 4th highest in total tackles, 2nd career high with 2 INT, career high 4 FF. Released yesterday.

QB/WR Joe Webb

-Appeared in 4 games so far, 1 Rec for 16 yards, 2 Returns Avg 26 yards.

WR Jason Avant

-11 appearances 0 "starts". 21 rec (2nd lowest in career excluding rookie year). 201 Yards and 1 TD. Released and now signed with KC Chiefs

DT Colin Cole

-12 appearances, 9 starts. 23 comb. Tackles.

TE Ed Dickson

-12 appearances, 8 starts. Both career lows with 6 Rec. 56 yards and 0 TD

DE Alex Hall

-Waived in Preseason

FS Thomas Decoud

-11 starts, career low (so far could improve next 4 games) in Comb. Tackles 48. 1 INT

G Fernando Velasco

-9 appearances with 7 starts.

G Chris Scott

- Waived, then signed to PS. Then signed to active roster. 4 appearances, 0 starts.

RB Chris Ogbonnoya

-Signed, waived, signed, waived. 5 appearances, 14 carriers 54 yards and 1 TD.

I left off the random signings (that lasted just through camp or a week etc) many expect Roman to be cut during the summer as a June 1st Cut. The only ones I can see coming back next year would be Joe Webb, James Dockery, and maybe Colin Cole? Doesn't look good especially when two of those were on our roster the year before.

Looks like a lot of cheap free agents. Several of them are at the league minimum. I guess sometimes you do get what you pay for.

The very fact so much of our sucess and failure is tied to short term cheap players just illustrates the terrible situation that DG walked into.

My friend who knows things told me today that the Harper, Avant, and Cason signings were pushed hard by Rivera for wanting a vet presence in the locker room that would verbally support him and make him look good to the younger players. 

Then Avant and Cason didn't support him and they were soon axed... Makes me wonder...

It kills me that so many people are all over Gettlemen about this.  You refuse to acknowledge the idiocy of the contracts Marty Hurney signed.  Gettlemen had  no reset button, people.  He inherited 4 and 5-year contracts and $16 million over the cap.  He has had to sift through the dumpster for players.  WTF did you expect?   Once again, read this--it sums it up.  Again--no reset button in the real world.

http://grantland.com/features/the-roster-moves-made-panthers-gm-incompetent-best/

It kills me that so many people are all over Gettlemen about this. You refuse to acknowledge the idiocy of the contracts Marty Hurney signed. Gettlemen had no reset button, people. He inherited 4 and 5-year contracts and $16 million over the cap. He has had to sift through the dumpster for players. WTF did you expect? Once again, read this--it sums it up. Again--no reset button in the real world.

http://grantland.com/features/the-roster-moves-made-panthers-gm-incompetent-best/

I agree. Some just don't get it. What screwed Gettleman was 2013. He hit a grand slam in his FA moves. This year was a dud because he tagged Hardy (thinking if we have an awesome front four the back end will survive) and we didn't have enough to get anything else. I cannot fault his moves. It was a gamble for a GM that is trying to keep his team on top. We probably are in for at least one more season of bargain basement shopping. Regardless the only way we get out of Hurney's mess is by biting the bullet for a couple of years.

It kills me that so many people are all over Gettlemen about this.  You refuse to acknowledge the idiocy of the contracts Marty Hurney signed.  Gettlemen had  no reset button, people.  He inherited 4 and 5-year contracts and $16 million over the cap.  He has had to sift through the dumpster for players.  WTF did you expect?   Once again, read this--it sums it up.  Again--no reset button in the real world.

it's easy to point the finger at Gettleman, and people love easy. 

It's also accurate

it's impossible to tell. He knocked it out of the park his first year, and this year he struck out. Logic dictates that he has earned one more year. 

if our years had been flipped you wouldn't find a single person here clamoring for his head. 

My friend who knows things told me today that the Harper, Avant, and Cason signings were pushed hard by Rivera for wanting a vet presence in the locker room that would verbally support him and make him look good to the younger players.

Then Avant and Cason didn't support him and they were soon axed... Makes me wonder...

I can almost guarantee this is true. I think a lot of the moves made in the offseason was pushed hard by Rivera. If anything Gettleman went along with it and it backfired. So you can almost guarantee that someone is going to pay for this and my best guess will be Ron Rivera because I know he pushed for those guys. Gettleman gave Ron the rope and he hunged hiself.

Archived