• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

cbssports.com La Canfora: Panther's highest offseason priority? Sign Cam

tiger7_88

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25070064/nfl-team-needs-top-offseason-priorities-for-all-32-franchises

Carolina Panthers: Get Cam Newton off the fifth-year option. Turn him into a fixed cost over the next five years and determine what money and cap space you have for everything else. He is the franchise. Yes, he needs more weapons around him. But it all starts right here. It's going to cost upward of $20 million a year. Deal with it.

We've seen how well Gettleman drafts. We've seen how he handles veterans with declining skills and marginally talented free agents. We have yet to see how he handles retaining star players. I hope he doesn't screw it up. For all we know, his philosophy might be, "if you get the hogs in the trenches big enough, you can put anybody back there and win and spend more money on defense." I hope that isn't the case. Unless, of course, we win a super bowl that way.

It seems like unwarranted, idiotic, senseless bashing of Cam by the national media might be toning down a bit.

Its really just a fine line between the media's disdain for Cam and the complete and utter loathing of the small market franchise owned by the most uninteresting(news wise) owner in all of the league.

8 years; 145 million

Cam is worth it. Even when his athleticism fades, he'll still have that cannon for an arm and massive body/frame.

I can live with that contract at 18 a year. The people crying to give him 25 a year are outside of their minds. 18 is fair. Who's his agent though?

Archived