• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DGB Considered "Best WR to Come Out since Calvin Johnson."

nctarheel0619

Same people arguing for him are probably the same people who were clamoring for Cam Newton and Dez Bryant

Some reals fountains of wisdom there.

wait

I didn't know about this place in 2011, but were there really people thinking we should've taken someone other than Cam #1 overall?

I didn't know about this place in 2011, but were there really people thinking we should've taken someone other than Cam #1 overall?

Well remember that Cam is a scumbag who did very bad things as a 19 year old and Richardson isnt building a roster of no gosh darn thugs especially after that thing that happened like 20 years ago.

what do you mean Cam Newton is on the team

Just like you aren't in love with the idea of the Panthers drafting this guy, neither is Tiger, but there is no reason to reach for weak reasons to knock the guy who has already admitted to his own mistakes, and by all accounts has done the right things for the past few months to leave his past behind. The implication that he is out of shape, and not just adding muscle and bulk, is really unfounded at this point (before he actually competes no less). This does not bespeak "hate" in the literal sense of the word, but does connote a certain amount of disdain, or unfairness at the very least.

Moreover, this is the second time this week that I have "chided" you for using hyperbole to support a largely overblown concept; first that the scope of DGB only relates to business, and the second being that the Huddle is rampant with members that think only in what I will call "hyperbolic extremes". Sure, some may, but I don't believe that it happens as much as you perhaps believe (or would like others think that you believe in order to "clown" someone), and it's certainly not true in my case.

It would be awesome if you could explain my "hatred" of a player who I would LOVE to see teams pass on into the 3rd round so we could select him there and put him on the team.

Or is not agreeing with you that he's worth a 1st or 2nd rounder "hate" now?

And you are accurate in at least one thing... a guy with a long track record of (to be polite) "immature" deeds hasn't yet earned my "trust" (not that my trust is required anyway) after only "turning his life around" for a few months.  So, yeah, you're right about that.

I would bet that statistically there's just as many or more examples of guys with his track record who "turned it around" after a few months NOT having actually "turned it around" and going back to the same old habits than those who have sincerely changed their lives.

ESPECIALLY after getting a few million dollars in the bank so that they can finally do what they REALLY always wanted to do.

Well remember that Cam is a scumbag who did very bad things as a 19 year old and Richardson isnt building a roster of no gosh darn thugs especially after that thing that happened like 20 years ago.

what do you mean Cam Newton is on the team

I always find it comical that Cam is called a thug over a stolen laptop and getting possibly getting paid to play. Laughable at best.

I wanted Marcell Dareus or Patrick Peterson. It was in no way because of Cam's history or some sort of 'Cam-hate'. I wasn't sure Cam's skillset would translate to the NFL.

However as soon as we picked him I ordered a Cam authentic jersey and framed the USA today issue that had him on the cover of the sports section.

I also bought tickets to his first game in AZ to see his first NFL start.

Some of us say I want this guy or that guy and as soon as someone else is picked immediately get on board with it. Once you are on the Panthers, you're my guy.

If you could see the draft chat room transcript for when we picked Luke Kuechly you'd laugh your ass off.

I was raging pretty good in there because we already had an all pro linebacker in Beason.

It would be awesome if you could explain my "hatred" of a player who I would LOVE to see teams pass on into the 3rd round so we could select him there and put him on the team.

Or is not agreeing with you that he's worth a 1st or 2nd rounder "hate" now?

And you are accurate in at least one thing... a guy with a long track record of (to be polite) "immature" deeds hasn't yet earned my "trust" (not that my trust is required anyway) after only "turning his life around" for a few months. So, yeah, you're right about that.

I would bet that statistically there's just as many or more examples of guys with his track record who "turned it around" after a few months NOT having actually "turned it around" and going back to the same old habits than those who have sincerely changed their lives.

ESPECIALLY after getting a few million dollars in the bank so that they can finally do what they REALLY always wanted to do.

I have already explained the "hate" thing. That really shouldn't be a point of contention, but let me apologize for using a figure of speech. You love the thought of drafting DGB in the third round, even though you implied that he isn't doing all that he can to put his best foot forward because he is fat and lazy, and that he must be fooling people purposefully, himself or both about turning the page from his past transgressions.

The thing is (as I attempted to explain to you in another thread, and this one actually) is that it is somewhat incongruous to suggest that a guy that you know has first round talent is not worth drafting in the first because of character concerns, but is worth drafting in the third---or any round. If you think that he has bad character and a lazy work ethic, then I can easily argue that he is not worth drafting at all. Basically that's what you are saying in effect anyway because the likelihood of him lasting until the third (if all goes well with his interviews and workouts) is slim and none. So either he is worth taking a chance on in the first or second, or he will not be on the team. Moreover in light of the "new" CBA and our personnel-guru GM, all of this risk about not drafting him in the first or second is largely overblown, because I am nearly 100 percent sure that the Panthers will not suffer long term effects if the worst case scenario would happen. Sure, it wouldn't be good in the short run because we may miss out on another player (particularly a worthy OT or WR, but the draft is relatively deep at both positions), but I personally don't believe that we are going to turn into the Browns or Raiders. Moreover, I would think that as far as guys with the realistic possibility to play in the NFL, that you actually have more guys with troubled pasts who do "turn it around" than don't, but perhaps I am being optimistic. I do know that not everyone is Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon. Money and reaching a goal makes a lot of guys more settled and secure, and at many times it makes them more introspective and appreciative, particularly if they have good counsel (which I am absolutely sure that this team and locker room will provide).

Archived