• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Byron Bell is Gone

Jeremy Igo

The fact that he has lasted in the league for 4 years is an accomplishment in itself considering he was an UDFA.  Even if he spends the next 4 years as a backup RT for some team he has still reached a level that very few football players do.

While I understand fans wanting an upgrade I never really understood some of the hatred directed towards him.  Its not like he was some player who signed a huge contract and then decided to become complacent.

The fact that he has lasted in the league for 4 years is an accomplishment in itself considering he was an UDFA.  Even if he spends the next 4 years as a backup RT for some team he has still reached a level that very few football players do.

While I understand fans wanting an upgrade I never really understood some of the hatred directed towards him.  Its not like he was some player who signed a huge contract and then decided to become complacent.

Fair point. He was given an opportunity and did his best.

I feel just the opposite.  I'll never understand the love for this guy (especially his first 3 years with the team).  Being an undrafted starter was great.  But at the end of the day, he was never any good.  People here at the beginning put blinders on because it was such a good story.  I said from day 1 that he was a disaster.

It's only a good thing if they replace him with someone better. Failing to sign a FA or missing the mark in the draft and coming out just as bad or worse would be really bad.

ANY replacement's bottom line will easily be just as good as Byron Bell.

So the chances of improvement from a replacement are pretty damned high.

It is honestly kind of irrational to hate a football player for not being as good as other players.  And Bell was a guy whom everybody pretty well agrees always gave it his absolute best effort.

I have no animosity for him.

As a fan though, I am glad when a player who wasn't good enough for the job is set to be replaced by (hopefully) someone better.

I am ecstatic. Carolina is welding the turnstile shut finally.  I disagree with he always gave his best effort.  There were many plays where his guy just blew past him and he stood there dumbfounded and gave up on the play.  Atleast run behind the guy.  Stay with the play.  Thats the part I hated, just watching him give up too easily after he was beaten.

I guess Gettleman is figuring he's probably stuck with Rivera so he's doing his paht to assure success by taking away Ron's underachieving pet projects. The players play hod fa Rahn, we just need the best possible player at every position to be able to succeed with subpar coaching.

This is more than a little bit absurd. Gettleman is the one who made the decision to tender Bell last year and not bring in any other tackles. Rivera played the only guy he had. 

Your perception is so far from reality.

Archived