• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Not Set At Wide Receiver

Jeremy Igo

Now that Ted Ginn has been signed and Brenton Bersin re-signed I thought it would be helpful to take a look at the Carolina Panthers roster as far as wide receivers are concerned. 

Kelvin Benjamin - 6'5 240lbs 

Second year player. Huge target. Had a solid year as a rookie aside from more drops than the Panthers wish he had. Has solid #1 receiver potential. 

Ted Ginn Jr - 5'11 185lbs

Speedy nine season veteran return man and receiver. A nice deep threat and end around runner. Capable of stretching the defense. a 3rd or 4th receiver option

Brenton Bersin 6'3 210

Local dark horse receiver that beat the odds and made it to the pros. Had key first down receptions in 2014 that Panthers fans seem to have forgotten about. 3rd receiver at best. 

Jerricho Cotchery 6'1 205lbs

Twelve year veteran. Great leadership and locker room presence. Questions linger on how much he has left in the tank. A solid second receiver earlier in his career. No better than a third now. 

De'Andre Presley 5'10 190lbs

App State QB that has seen time at corner and receiver. A long shot to make the Panthers squad this season. 

Corey Brown 5'11 180

A lot like Ted Ginn, but less punt returner and more receiver. Proved himself late in the season as a deep threat. A long term 3rd or 4th. 

Looking over this roster it becomes clear that the Carolina Panthers are missing a true number two receiver. A guy that can take the pressure off of Kelvin Benjamin and force more single coverage. 

Last year, the Panthers learned a lesson at the receiver position. They had too many 3rd and 4th receivers, and not a legitimate 2nd. Jason Avant, Jerricho Cotchery, Brenton Bersin.... all three basically the same. The result? No one getting open, Cam Newton being sacked. Looking at this year's roster.... don't they have the same problem? At least for now, it appears they do. 

However, look for the Panthers this season remedy the situation before the season begins. This current roster is not complete. Two, or possibly even three of names on it now will not be on it come September. The Panthers will try to fill the number 2 receiver void through the draft (probably) or free agency (less likely). 

This post has been promoted to an article

I agree.  We should hopefuly add a young gun in the draft.

It's a ways down the road but I'm hoping the active WR group looks something like this by the time Sept. gets here:

Benjamin

*Draftee

Cotchery

Brown

Ginn

Bersin and Presley go to the PS.  I'd be cool with a lot of the receivers in this draft in the first 3/4 rounds. 

Why won't we even go after guys like Eddie Royal and Harry Douglas? I understand not breaking the bank on one WR, the problem is in Gettleman's mind, anything more than a 1-2 year contract for virtually vet minimum is considered breaking the bank in his mind and your just not going to land a legit no 2 WR with that mentality.

Torrey Smith yes would be pricey but isn't it worth paying a legit no 2 WR 7-8 mill a year who is only 26 years old and could be our no 2 for years to come? I'm starting to think Gman has commitment issues, has he even signed a single player to a legit long term contract?!

I'm starting to think thats why Cam isn't signed long term yet, I truly believe Gman has a legit fear of long term commitment.

Why won't we even go after guys like Eddie Royal and Harry Douglas? I understand not breaking the bank on one WR, the problem is in Gettleman's mind, anything more than a 1-2 year contract for virtually get minimum is considered breaking the bank in his mind and your just not going to land a legit no 2 WR with that mentality.

Torrey Smith yes would be pricey but isn't it worth paying a legit no 2 WR 7-8 mill a year who is only 26 years old and could be our no 2 for years to come?

If we had a 100% healthy cap, yes that would make sense. You fail to understand that.

Archived