• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Panthers looking to move up to 16-20th pick

@bobbyagnese

We already have a lot of young players contributing on our team, I can see Gettlemen not wanting to add 9 more rookies, plus UDFA.

Also a lot of folks are saying that there's a big drop off in talent somewhere in the teens, if Gettlemen buys that I could see him moving up.

I'd give up our 1st, 3rd, and 5th to move up for Cooper, not sure who else though.

As to the topic, yeah I think I recall this being posted previously, but it's kind of interesting to revisit it now in the light of an unnamed personnel guy reportedly commenting that only about 16 to 19 guys actually had a true 'first round' grade in this draft.

This is what I thought about too when I saw this. If there's 16-19 legit first round talents, and we're considering moving into the 16-19 range, I think there's something to the fact that g-man might really want his first round talent. I've said that I think he'll move up in the second, but I think this is a legit possibility as well depending on what talent drops.

Compare our roster two tears ago with what we have now.

Heck, compare prior drafts when we weren't even hitting on second and third round picks.

Biggest factor of all for me, though? 

in the prior eighteen years of this team's history, we've gone to the playoffs four times, and never in back to back seasons.  In only two years as a GM, Gettleman has already reached the playoffs half as many times as our entire history before him, and the first time in consecutive seasons.  If we make the playoffs this year, it'll only take one more appearance to equal that record.

You don't accomplish that without solid choices.

You do accomplish that with a lot of luck in a suck division when you as the GM take the team from top 4 in the NFL in production to #23.

Well if you are satisfied with division championships, you make a valid point.

Now for the people who want to see the NFC Championship game and Super Bowl, that brings up a lot of questions regarding the way the coaches and front office are running this team.

After 4 straight division championships (if that ever occurs and it probably will not) and no NFC Championship game under the teams belt, then we will see what you all say.

The Panthers are going to need to win the NFC South with 7 or 8 wins this season. The home schedule is brutal, and the Panthers do not have the coaching or personnel to match up against most of the teams they will face in 2015.

This team is not being built well enough to compete with the Packers, Cowboys, Eagles, Seahawks, Giants, Colts, and Texans. All of which play the Panthers this season.

You do accomplish that with a lot of luck in a suck division when you as the GM take the team from top 4 in the NFL in production to #23.

Well if you are satisfied with division championships, you make a valid point.

Now for the people who want to see the NFC Championship game and Super Bowl, that brings up a lot of questions regarding the way the coaches and front office are running this team.

After 4 straight division championships (if that ever occurs and it probably will not) and no NFC Championship game under the teams belt, then we will see what you all say.

The Panthers are going to need to win the NFC South with 7 or 8 wins this season. The home schedule is brutal, and the Panthers do not have the coaching or personnel to match up against most of the teams they will face in 2015.

This team is not being built well enough to compete with the Packers, Cowboys, Eagles, Seahawks, Giants, Colts, and Texans. All of which play the Panthers this season.

Explain how 'the team is not being built well enough to compete', particularly in the context of judging, after only two years, a revitalization plan that the GM said from day one will take three years to complete. I won't dispute that the other NFCS teams are seemingly a mess, but there is nothing Carolina can do about that.

It has been shown over and over that the value chart is not accurate.....especially in a draft where most experts say there are only about 16 or so first round talents and that 20 is the same as 50.

Moving from that mid 20 group into the true first round grade group is likely to cost more than a third.

But keep thinking you are right....it is cute

Yeah if you trade up you better know what you're getting.

I think that you can pay the groundwork with a team ahead of the draft. You work out what it would take to make the jump with a team and know the players that you would jump for.

But, I agree that you do not make a trade before the draft in the spots that we are talking about...too many variables.

The only way a trade goes down is if somebody falls further than we expect. OT won't be the target, we can get one that falls to us at 25 as there's not much difference in guys. If Trae Wayne's or Parker fall that's when things get interesting in my opinion. Either of those guys could make us extremely strong at CB or WR and would be worth the move.

In the worst draft in 15 years, old herniay traded a first rounder for the right to draft brown in the second round(41st pick i think). Need that good old "brillant" beer gif.....

Not all teams will have only 16 first round graded players. I believe the value or deepest part of the is around the 4th. Sadly I think the value ends once the panthers 5th rounder starts.

Out of the last 180 mins of football against the seahawks, panthers where giving them all they could take in 172 mins. I don't know if any other team could make that claim. That's with 2014 OL/STs shula, ron having no balls, no hardy/star, missing RB, amazing wilson luck, etc etc.

Archived