• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers grooming future GM?

Jmac

It's only the third season with the fat bastard, hopefully he ain't going anywhere anytime soon

​Dude...have ever seen Gettleman?

Dave could be "going somewhere" tomorrow.

I absolutely love and trust the guy and think he has done something no other GM could have done in the shortest time possible...but Dave is a fat, out of shape, old bastard.

He's our fat, out of shape, old bastard, but an old bastard nonetheless.

I get the feeling it's more like the Giants assistant GM.

The Giants have a guy with that title, but he doesn't have a scouting background. He does some of the 'grunt work' but if the time came to replace Jerry Reese, it'd be Marc Ross taking the job while the 'Assistant GM' stayed where he's at.

Pretty sure Dave Gettleman will have a lot of say in who his successor is. I'd be extremely shocked if it was a guy who didn't have scouting  experience.

​I certainly hope so.

I've heard beane is a numbers wiz, along with having a great understanding of the cap. Like peeps praise dave for re worked contracts, but that's was all beane master plan before dave got. It started once Cam showed the world 2011 week 1. The johnson restructure the lasted two years, pushing left over cap space to next year - all beane. He knew cap hell was coming and knew they where going to need big money for cam, then luke etc. So long dave stays sharp&healthly plus teaches him tape/the science of football, I got no issues with giving the keys to beane. Dealing with contracts/cap is a huge part of being a successful GM, right now beane got that part down.

What is scary is that other teams will look this/him as their next potential candidate. We could be looking at grooming him for us later down the road and another team wind up hiring him. Think about that. 

I don't know if Brandon would do that, seeing that he is a local boy. I went to high school with him in Stanly County. he has stayed with the Panthers this long  why not wait it out for the GM job if that is what is next for him?

Although he may not have exclusive scouting experience, I have no doubt he has learned the ropes in that regard. He was a sports junkie growing up. He has been with the Panthers for years and worked his way up through the ranks. Plus, he has learned some ways not to do things from Hurney and ways to do things from Gettleman. I would be fine with Brandon taking over after Gettleman and would be extremely happy for a former classmate. 

Archived