• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Better know a prospect - Kevin Dodd

Jeremy Igo

Just now, zacka77ack said:

Just thinking about immediate impact DEs.

Most of us know that DE's don't typically make a massive impact their first year or two.  Guys like Peppers are freaks of nature, and are very rare.  That being said, I wouldn't be terribly upset about getting a DE that Gettleman feels is worthy of a 1st round pick.  May not necessarily be Dodd, just in general.  We do a lot of rotating along the d-line, and I think that bodes well for young guys.  They don't have the weight on their shoulders of being a full time guy, that has to make something happen.  They can still be an impact player, not being full-time, and get valuable playing experience throughout the year.  

Ealy is a good example.  Yeah, we got him in the second, but they had a first round grade on him.  You could see flashes throughout his rookie year.  He made an impact, but due to our rotation, we didn't have to keep him out there all the time.  I think that's what we're looking to achieve, and if they produce above and beyond that, it's only sweeter.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, KB_fan said:

As one who doesn't follow college football closely, I really enjoy this type of thread.  It's helpful to get an idea of some of the prospects who could fit well with the Panthers, and thus at least have the names of several to follow amidst the sea of hundreds of potential draftees.

I love watching college football but rarely do I have a chance to follow particular players.  Occasionally I follow ECU players just because I went to ECU a long time ago, and the Tarheels when they get a player or two but not much after that.

I am like you.  I listen to what those have to say and jump on a bandwagon when I have enough info to make a educated guess.  

Last year I jumped on Jeremy's bandwagon about Shaq and the year before I favored KB.  So two for two in the past 2 years.   Strictly coincidental though.

Hell when we selected Luke Kuechly the only players I knew from BC was Doug Flutie and Matt Ryan.  So I was Who?

Reasons why I like DE in the first:

1) This year is so deep and the position is dominated by blue chip players. Over the last three years, 11/14 All-Pros were first round picks. Cameron Wake, Greg Hardy and Calais Campbell were the three.

2) A promising DE now means we could have the best front seven in the league set for the next five years. I really like Dodd as he fits into our DE mold that rotates inside on passing downs.

3) Defensive end is probably the safest position to choose based on getting them playing time while not inexperienced liabilities to worry about.

Our other needs are much higher risk positions and so I think we'll see the coaches go with vets till the coaches feel they've developed long term replacements. It's so much easier to put DEs in situations to succeed. OT, S, CB can all give up major game changing plays in the blink of an eye. Of course a DE could lose contain but they're not the last line of defense or protecting Cam.

If we are guarding leads as often as this past season, that's exactly when we need a rookie DE to turn loose without too much worry.

• Pie 1

This is probably the least i have kept up with college football in a longtime so i know very little about most of the prospects coming out. But i read up on this guy and watch some highlight because of the thread and like him, one thing i notice is that he is very good at dipping his shoulder when coming around the edge which something that makes guys like Von Miller so nasty. Wouldnt mind the pick, plus we all know this is like the best team in the league for developing defensive linemen anyway.

Need to watch more of him, but I watched his game tape against Alabama earlier.  You can tell how much potential he has, excellent rip move.  However, he needs to use his hands a lot better.  He's strong but ends up dropping his hands far too often and allowing the offensive lineman to get a good grip on him.

Defense didn't lose the super bowl. The offense did. I don't know what G-man is thinking or what his plan is but he needs to have something in place to address the tackle position and the WR position. If he can work his magic at those 2 positions and still draft defense first then I'm fine with it.