• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil

Toker Smurf

6 minutes ago, Yaboychris28 said:

We knew signing Matt Kalil was a risk. He was ran out of Minnesota after being a top 5 pick for them.. You don't get rid of franchise young LT's..With that being said, I thought it was a questionable signing and never had huge expectations for Kalil. He has actually performed better than I thought though, so I'm not going to be a Kalil hater.  Those who expected him to be a Pro Bowl LT, well that's you're own fault 

Wowl, you had really low expectations. I didn't expect him to be Pro Bowl level just better than he has been, based on his contract. Don't dis on people who whose current evaluations are on par with the garbage expectations, you obviously had, initially. 

27 minutes ago, Cam El said:

Wowl, you had really low expectations. I didn't expect him to be Pro Bowl level just better than he has been, based on his contract. Don't dis on people who whose current evaluations are on par with the garbage expectations, you obviously had, initially. 

So you wanted him to play up to his contract? Well the contract we gave him was atrocious . The chances of him playing up to his contract was nearly impossible. 

7 hours ago, Yaboychris28 said:

We knew signing Matt Kalil was a risk. He was ran out of Minnesota after being a top 5 pick for them.. You don't get rid of franchise young LT's..With that being said, I thought it was a questionable signing and never had huge expectations for Kalil. He has actually performed better than I thought though, so I'm not going to be a Kalil hater.  Those who expected him to be a Pro Bowl LT, well that's you're own fault 

Well, to be fair. We did have to out bid them for him. So he wasn't actually, run out of town. And no, I guess I couldn't just let it go.

15 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Matt Kalil's been pretty good lately. Against the Eagles, he made one or two boneheaded plays, but I'm surprised tbh. Upgrade over Oher imo.

But we need to cut off with Daryl Williams. Put Moton in.

You're still riding that Daryl Williams sucks train, until it crashes horribly, huh?  He's been solid so far, Matt Kalil?  No, no, h'es not.    

15 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Matt Kalil's been pretty good lately. Against the Eagles, he made one or two boneheaded plays, but I'm surprised tbh. Upgrade over Oher imo.

But we need to cut off with Daryl Williams. Put Moton in.

Thank you! I was saying this the other day and was told Williams is one of the top RTs in the NFL. Moton should help our run blocking. Williams can be a decent backup at best...

17 hours ago, Cam El said:

Am I remembering correctly, do we have an out from his contract after one season? If so, do we cut bait (assuming no drastic improvement)? I'm thinking, yes. We can pay someone, much less, to suck. 

To answer the question, yes we can cut him after this season.  Would cost us about 4.8M against the cap this year and next if we designate him as a June 1.  However, he is only counting 6.8M against the cap next season, which is really good for a "starting left tackle".

The easiest cut is after the 18 season when he would have only cost us 6.8 that season, and we could eat 3.6M dead space for both the 19 and 20 seasons....he would count 12.8M against the cap for the 19 season....so a restructure or a cut is likely at that point, unless he is playing well.

Pssssst....the contract, while not great, isn't nearly as bad as many of you think.

Also, I have typed that last statement too many times on this board.

P.S. DG/Beane knew how to structure contracts to help this team over the long haul....Hurney structures his the exact opposite.

20 hours ago, Yaboychris28 said:

People keep saying he was ran out of Minnesota but they offered him 10 million a season to come back. We just outbid them

Archived