• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike McCoy (OC, Denver) fired

SgtJoo

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Not happening.  He is avaliable at the wrong time. 

Cam and Carolina too strong at the end of seasons.  Shula will be safe 

And then if the Panthers take a dump all over themselves against the Jets, everyone changes their minds again. The bi-polar world of being a Panthers fan!

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

And then if the Panthers take a dump all over themselves against the Jets, everyone changes their minds again. The bi-polar world of being a Panthers fan!

well, those are the fans.  If we don't blow someone out by 30 then Shula needs to be fired. 

The record with Shula in Carolina secures his job much more so than fans would like.   It is good. 

5 minutes ago, Delhommey said:

Could get Sean McDermott back pretty quickly at this rate too. 

Why would you want him? I'm perfectly happy with Wilks. Zero reason to being in help when he is doing fantastic on his own. Only way I think about bringing McD back is if Wilks takes a HC job somewhere else.

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, those are the fans.  If we don't blow someone out by 30 then Shula needs to be fired. 

The record with Shula in Carolina secures his job much more so than fans would like.   It is good. 

I don't care if we win every game by a single point. I'm sick of the boneheaded play calls, wasted timeouts, and inability to adjust to anything that the defense is doing. If you believe Hurney, we traded away KB so we could get more speed on the field. An OC that constantly calls deep routes with the 2 slowest guys on the team has issues. As well as running into a stacked box over and over again when we're getting 0-2 yards per attempt. Cam should audible out of some of the stuff, but if he's going to have to call all the plays via audible, just let him call the whole damn game. 

One of my favorite Far Side comics seems so appropriate here with regards to Shula.

images-3.jpeg

i always thought he was a bit overrated. never understood the hype around that guy.

only reason anyone paid attention to him at all was because of when he was OC for mcdaniels, which basically meant he didn't have to do anything.

when he was here his work with the QBs was limited to "hey...throw the ball in this bucket."

wouldn't be an upgrade over shula.

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i always thought he was a bit overrated. never understood the hype around that guy.

only reason anyone paid attention to him at all was because of when he was OC for mcdaniels, which basically meant he didn't have to do anything.

when he was here his work with the QBs was limited to "hey...throw the ball in this bucket."

wouldn't be an upgrade over shula.

Yep.  When he was here, no one seemed to want him. Hmmm...wonder if there is a pattern.....

14 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Yep.  When he was here, no one seemed to want him. Hmmm...wonder if there is a pattern.....

nah...i don't think anyone much noticed him. when he got fired i was surprised that he got a job as an OC, but then i realized it was for mcD. what was noticed was just how much more the next QB coach did with the QBs in drills.

when he had jake, he benefited from having a QB who wasn't a technician...just a natural gunslinger  who relied on instinct more than anything. turns out that was what was needed for jake because the next one tried doing too much with him and got in his head and made him think too much about what he was doing.

while mccoy was in denver he had mcD and then benefited from having peyton as QB....which, again, means he didn't have to do much. i mean peyton was the only QB that there's been in years who essentially was his own OC and was capable of taking pretty much any offense and making it work before he started really breaking down.

mccoy is a likeable guy by execs in the league which is why he had interest in the league for head coaching gigs. he's kind of like a game managing QB...nothing dynamic just kind of holding the line, which is the perfect type of guy for defensive minded HCs. he'll probably find a job before too long, but i wouldn't expect it to be one involving a progressive offense at all. put him in a situation where he's got a great established QB or a stellar defense that can carry the team and you'll get wins. beyond that...pretty meh.

i'm not fond of shula, but i'd rather have shula than mccoy...unless you were going to bring him in as a QB coach again, because here he has a QB that is kind of like jake in that he's not a technician or someone that you would consider fundamentally sound but is more of a natural talent and can just make things happen when he's in the groove.

Archived