• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera just named front runner for LG

Reebis21

Regardless of whether there is validity to this statement or not, Rivera needs to shut up and let his position coach and coordinator evaluate the talent.  Silatolu was cut, not picked up by 31 teams, sucked major balls last year, and is now the front runner before the first practice.  

I watched Rivera break down film on Torrey Smith to Bill Voth (I think) and it was remarkably shallow.  You can tell he knew nothing of WR, but he sure wanted us to think otherwise.  Maybe LB--

Rivera's career was saved by Cam Newton.  Period.  Let's hope Norv has enough pull to shut him up and get him out of the offensive huddle.

58 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Did you really  expect anything less?

This is Rivera we are talking about.

He played Stewart all year last year....I don’t think there needs to be any additional evidence that the veteran gets the nod no matter how bad he is playing. If Moton is the starter at the beginning of the year then to me that means he’s gonna be pretty good. Otherwise RR would stick with the vet.

On one side I’m ready to freak out. However, thinking clearly about this, half of the competition for the spot has never played a snap for the panthers. With that said, I hope this is the default answer and Rivera expects one of the new comers to come in and beat Silatolu out for the spot. 

5 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

He played Stewart all year last year....I don’t think there needs to be any additional evidence that the veteran gets the nod no matter how bad he is playing. If Moton is the starter at the beginning of the year then to me that means he’s gonna be pretty good. Otherwise RR would stick with the vet.

I get your point, but I don't follow your argument about Rivera playing J-Stew all last year. I didn't realize there were other options behind Stewie on the depth chart (please don't say Rivera should've been playing CAP more)...

It's obvious he is just creating competition for the role. Seriously, who else is he going to say is the starter before the season starts?  Moton who has never played the role? One of the 2934748572 no name signings we had this off season for the guard spot?

One of the UDFA?????

If anything, he is fostering the mentality that if you want this job - show me. This is coach speak. This is how you get players like Moton prove they can play that role better than Amini.

I encourage everyone to not think so surface level, and understand that only 30% of what the coaches tell the media is accurate. I hate the NFL makes coaches talk to media.

I'm hoping that the quick development of Norwell from UDFA to All-Pro has opened Rivera's eyes to the fact draft position means nothing once they are on the field.  It's perfectly natural to say the longest tenured vet is a front-runner in May.  But he will always have Norwell in the back of his mind as he watches these unknown guys compete throughout camp.

It is apparent many of you have never coached.  

This is something coaches do, I've done it.  I played a guy with the ones for a week, and let him get his ass kicked to prove to him that he was not that good.  You have to give the guy who has actually played and started in the league first shot at it, first.  Do I think Amini is good or average? No, he is awful.  

But this is probably more about motivating the other LG canidates.  You do not want Moton thinking he has "earned" that spot yet.  Cause he hasn't, no one has.  It is going to be an all out battle for that spot in training camp.  

I could be severely wrong, and I am aware of Rivera's loyalty to players, but we know he isn't stupid.  Still, I  get it, Amini is trash.  Should be 3rd string emergency back up. 

I think Rivera may be worried that if we shift Moton to guard and either Kalil or Williams goes down, he wouldn't have had enough practice at tackle to step in and start as effectively. I mean, in all seriousness, Moton IS our depth at tackle.

Archived