• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Room: Why Curtis Samuel is an emerging star

Saca312

12 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Fair enough. If he is gone, that's that.

I think Funchess is still a solid receiver nevertheless. But going forward, would not mind a core of Samuel, Wright, and Moore at all. Very good receivers all around who do a ton of damage.

I think we could see a spike in Funchess’ overall play just because of Samuels(and Moore’s) emergence in the offense. Plus the return of Olsen. We have 4 capable WRs to rotate now, with Funchess providing the size. As he still learns how to use it. He probably won’t be back just because of value. The better he plays, the less chance we can/will pay him. 

Torrey needs to be strait up replaced with Samuel. I dont even want to see Torrey on the field in fact. 

I don't want it to take half a season like it did with KB last year for the staff to realize we are a much more explosive team without a certain WR who can't catch or get open hogging all the snaps. The solution is so obvious but the coaches just refuse to do it or use the "slowly bringing them along" excuse with Samuel and Moore.

Hell even if Samuel/Moore are just running around trying to get open thats still much better than whatever Torrey Smith is doing for us. I was SO wrong about that FA acquisition. 

I think Funchess still has an important role on the team but I think he should be splitting time with DJ to get him some actual snaps on the outside . 

1 hour ago, jtm said:

Funch, Moore and Samuel should be the starters.  Funch has been spotty this year, but he's made some big plays and is a big target for Cam to hit.  

Yeah, but...

Just playing devil's advocate here but what if Funchess' 10 yard catch could have been a 60 yard TD by Moore or Samuel due to their speed and ability to break tackles? Funch is a limited YAC guy, always has been. Wright seems to be a much better hands guy than Funchess so I'd go with him in that possession role. 

41 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Yeah, but...

Just playing devil's advocate here but what if Funchess' 10 yard catch could have been a 60 yard TD by Moore or Samuel due to their speed and ability to break tackles? Funch is a limited YAC guy, always has been. Wright seems to be a much better hands guy than Funchess so I'd go with him in that possession role. 

Ok, so I'll play the angel's advocate here, on Funchess' behalf.  He may not be an Antonio Brown, but he's shown pretty steady improvement, and there's something to say for that.

If we extrapolate his numbers for the first quarter of the season (4 games), his 18 catches, for 238 yds, become 72/952 for the year.  From 2015 to 2018, his receptions have progressed as follows: 31 to 23 to 63 to a projected 72.  His RYds have increased from 473 to 371 to 840 to a projected 952.  Right now, his YPG sits at 59.5, after 29.6, 24.7, and 52.5 last year.  That is 35th best among WRs this year.

I'm certain that as the year goes along, it will evolve into Funchess, Moore, and Samuels, with Wright subbing in.  Funchess cannot be discounted on the basis of production.  He has played hurt, and he has played tough.  Just because YAC is not his talent, he still plays a vital role in the offense.

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

Yeah, but...

This is my feeling I like Funch but either one of our young guns can put a DB if two in their rear view mirror instantly Funch can't it's simple you have to learn to make sure your superior talent gets the majority of the reps it's on coaching to make sure the player is ready. Granted the player bears responsibility but I doubt Moore's slacking if it's hard to grab the playbook out a dam wristband on him have someone help him with his assignment we've got to be more creative with making sure we involve a few key weapons.

6 hours ago, trucpfan said:

doubt Moore's slacking if it's hard to grab the playbook out a dam wristband

Well, imo the issue with Moore isn’t the playbook.

It’s pretty much technique. As I’ve said many times, his ability against press is concerning. If he wants to be a primary receiver or outside in the future, he needs to understand a better “flow and feel” for his early release.

Once he understands how to win at the line with a solid release, the sky’s the limit. He’s got a lot of other things off and well (winning at the catch point, separation at the end of routes, YAC obviously). Just needs to not disappear when pressed.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, rayzor said:

We could very well end up with a group that is better than Smitty, Moose, and Proehl

Very possible.

Both Samuel and Moore have all the traits to be extremely successful in the NFL. If they hit their potential, I’ll go ahead and say they’re hall of fame caliber.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:00 PM, Vegas Heel said:

Thx OP for the great writeup.

Samuel, Funch, Moore, CMC, CJ and of course Cam should be on the field for 90% of the offensive snaps

That’s an interesting lineup you’re advocating...5 o-linemen + the 6 players you listed out would account for all 11 personnel. No TE?

Archived