• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Steeler Fans are saying...

Saca312

Noticed that @Jeremy Igo didn't put one of these up this week. Because of such, I decided to temporarily force myself into this position and make one of these myself.

Anyhow, found they have a specific thread on specifically talking about the Panthers. Lots of varied opinions from respecting our team is good to other clearly-never-seen-the-Panthers takes. Have a look:

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/lets-talk-panthers.20812/

On Confidence Levels Going Into The Game

After seeing Titans go into Dallas and win by 14 (what the hell happened to that 13-3 Cowboy team a couple years ago?) it shook any confidence I had.

If they are going to lose I hope it is like 40-0 at the half so I can go to bed but with 10 minutes left in the 4th I'm pretty sure I'll be up sweating balls.

They suck!
We'll crush 'em!

Seems it's a mixed bag. Some have very high confidence in the Steelers team lately. Lots are very complimentary of how well their offensive line is playing. And, well, it obviously shows. The Steelers allow the least pressure in the NFL

Adding on, another poster mentioned that the Steelers plan on using the No-Huddle to negate whatever pass rush we may attempt. Given Big Ben has been said on there to be a master at that, I wouldn't be surprised to see that as something they start off with against us. And I would not be surprised to see us carved up by their TEs on that.

However, there are others who are really nervous about the match-up. They believe that Carolina's defense may indeed hamper their offense a bit more than they'd like. They also think that we have the better team overall. As seen by one poster's comments, they're pretty much nervous as hell at what some believe will become an eventual shootout.

Overall, mixed bag of feelings.

On The Panthers Team

I wouldn't say Carolina is the better team. In a way you could say both teams are similar. They have 4 common opponents. (Bucs, Bengals, Ravens, Falcons) The Panthers won 3 of those games by similar scores and they lost to the Falcons. The Panthers defense is susceptible. Looking at their schedule, I think their defensive numbers are a bit inflated by the fact that they haven't played a very strong schedule thus far. If Olsen is healthy he can create matchup problems for the Steelers. Other than that, the Panthers are lackluster at the wide reciever position. Steelers are doing a good job stopping the run. I'm not really worried about McCaffrey killing us. But I do worry a little about Cam Newton in the run game. All in all, I think the Steelers win this one easier than people think. Steelers 34 Panthers 24.

We haven't had a strong schedule thus far? Well, I'll be damned if playing the Falcons, Bengals, Redskins, Eagles, Ravens, and Buccaneers were anything but non-gimmes. The Falcons - aside their defense - still have a top tier offense. The Bengals also had a fast start with a good offense. The Redskins a top defense. The Eagles were former Superbowl champions. The Ravens had the #1 defense coming in before we found the key to dismantling them. The Buccaneers had the NFL's #1 offense. 

Adding on, really? Greg Olsen our only weapon? 2014-2016 I would agree with you. 2018 he's definitely not. Curtis Samuel, DJ Moore, CMC, Devin Funchess, and 3rd-down clutch guy Jairus Wright have all proven to be massive upgrades over anything Cam has ever had in his career. If you really think it's lackluster, you haven't seen Panther football lately. Plus, we have young-and-hip Norv Turner coming in maximizing everyone's talents like he's Sean McVay or something and truly dicing up teams based on match-ups he likes. 

Carolina's D is better than the Steelers D. Steelers offense needs to bring their A game. I have a feeling Cam/Panther O will score at least 24 points.

Im not so sure about that. If you haven't noticed, the Steelers defense is playing pretty darn well right now. Carolina just got lit up by the Bucs

Just got lit up by the Bucs? Who had the NFL's #1 offense? Well, I'll be damned.

Even then, lit up? Reminder this team was 35-7 at one point before halftime. Can hardly say the Bucs 'lit us up' as much as they perceive. We shut them down efficiently for the most part.

Also, if anything's an indication, we should be able to score quite a bit. I expect 30+ points minimum from us based on the momentum we have and the way we have been playing.

On How To Beat Carolina

I have no doubt the Panthers defense is quite a bit better than ours. As a Carolina native who watches the Panthers most weeks (When the boys in Black and Yellow aren't on), they're pretty strong. The Panthers have a tendency of starting slow, even slower than we do, but coming on strong late. We need to strike fast and often against these guys. Cam is having an MVP-type season.

One thing this defense is susceptible against is quick strikes and rub routes. Get Vance McDonald the ball and you'll likely have success. With Tomlin's comments I wouldn't be surprised to see the game turn out to be something of a shootout

I feel the way you beat Carolina is the same way you beat NE, NO and currently KC. Long methodical drives that end in points. Preferably TD's to FG's. You have to keep their Offense on the bench. Do not get into a shootout with them.

This honestly wouldn't be bad either. Redskins used the Rivera Time Of Possession strategy to a tea and manhandled us by the 4th quarter. We started to comeback and nearly made it had the DB on Jairus Wright been called for holding. Otherwise,  it's still a very effective way to negate any impact our offense may make.

Cover their TE, Keep Cam in the pocket.

Keep Greg Olsen in check and keep cam in the pocket and a helmet in his face and we should be ok

Ah yes contain Cam double Olsen I assume? Man, this year's feeling more and more like 2015 all over again.

Didn't the Steelers scrubs beat the Panthers scrubs already this year and beat them badly? Pretty sure Ola could get a strip sack this week if he dresses.

lmao @ anyone taking preseason seriously.

And One Last Thing...

One interesting thing about this game is that it may be the only game this season that either the Steelers or Panthers play this season where roughing the passer rules are applied consistently.

Well, that is if Cam's finally old enough for those kind of calls.

9 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

If they come over here to do one of these about us, all they'll see is a bunch of threads talking about the saints

That's because, as fans, we're not as worried about the Steelers as we are the Saints. And we shouldn't be. One note: Tomlin can be as puzzling as Rivera with time management. Think we're about even in that regard. Play efficiently, limit penalties, execute .... all will augment our energy which is what I worry about. If it makes a difference, Walt Coleman's crew will be officiating. We got this.

For offense, make the Edge Rushers fly up field and run underneath them with CMC. Their ILBs are slow. They should be a liability in coverage against anyone in our offense. Run some no-Huddle or whatever it takes to exploit their back 7 in coverage. Should see a lot of zone because of this. Haden can still play, but the rest will struggle. Keep it to 1 TO and we should be fine. Handling Tuitt and Heyward is job #1 on every play. 

On Defense, DJ or JB is going to have to play JuJu in the slot. He ran 80% from there last week. Cap can not cover him there. But he should be able to handle their 3WR.  Conner is solid but the OL is playing great. DL needs to get their hands up. Ben throwing slants will give you a shot at a couple tips and you’re not getting to him on those anyhow. Keep it in front of you and make them drive the ball. Ben will make mistakes. Just take advantage. 

I just don’t see them covering us in the middle of the field. Samuel post from the slot will be there. Contain AB and tackle well on Conner and I see a tight Panther victory. 33-30.

I hope all the league still sees us as a “double Olsen, spy Cam” problem to solve. Olsen should be the least of any teams worries with our offense clicking now.  That’s actually a pretty exciting thought now that I think about it.

Archived