• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spending on Coaches

Paintballr

Something I was thinking today. 

With Our history, we have very rarely gone outside the building to hire our OC and DC for what I can remember. 

Rivera you’ve had Chud, then promoted Shula, and then finally hire Norv from outside. He had Sean as his DC, then promoted Wilks, then promoted Washington. 

Fox you had Del Rio, then promoted Trgo, then Ron Meeks as his DC. He had Henning, then promoted Davidson as his OC. 

Am I incorrect in thinking that there is no limit or cap for coach spending? Do you think it was Jerry preventing bringing in talent and always wanting to promote as it’s cheaper? This is the same guy for 25 years that didn’t have a practice field for rain/snow. Do you think Tepper will spend to bring in talent? 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

This is a JR thing, goes back to being cheap. But continuity in mediocrity is there. 

At the end of the Fox era, his was the highest paid coaching staff in the league. 

Rivera and Fox are very similar in that they were promoting people they'd taught to run their defense, and they saw offense as a means of basically resting the defensive starters. Why would any up and coming offensive coordinator want to come to Carolina where they're going to be asked to snap the ball at one second, control the clock, run it 30 times a game, etc. 

Add on to Rivera that he is incredibly paranoid and doesn't want to risk getting knifed in the back by a coordinator and you have Shula hanging on for years. 

6 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Davidson  and Meeks weren't internal promotions.

I expect this to change if Tepper wants to spend more on the staff.

You’re right, I forgot Davidson was hired from the Browns. I thought he was already on staff before getting the OC job. 

Same for Meeks, thought he was the secondary coach after the colts and then got promoted. I was wrong with both. 

Lol at the post earlier that said Fox had one of the most expensive coaching staff with Ron Meeks and Jeff Davidson as his cordinators. 1 hasn’t coached since 2012 the other hasn’t been an OC since

Archived