• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At what point do you blame players for their own mistakes?

pantherclaw

Seriously. The only time I see it here on the huddle, is when it a player the huddle has chosen to hate for some reason. 

We've been in most of the games on this losing streak. 

In most of those, it's very obvious that mistakes, failed execution, and turnovers cost us those games. 

So at what point do you blame the players? 

Let's leave the coaching aspect out of this thread. 

The players are partly to blame for this collapse.  But it's Ron's players he chose to keep and start so it still falls back on Ron and Hurney.  They chose to go with the older vets this season and we see how that played out.  Ron signed off on all these roster moves so he can blame the players all he wants but he had a big hand in assembling this group.

So yes, the players poo the bed but Ron and Hurney set it all up.

It's time to clean house but it appears that the new boss may not have realized it yet.

I still blame Ron. He's kept Gano despite him costing him the 2016 season and several games this year. That's one huge difference right there. IF we had a competent kicker we would be in the playoffs this year despite all our problems and Cam's arm.

He's kept Barner as our KR/PR despite him fumbling multiple times. He doesn't play Moton at LT, he let Washington call the plays far too long, etc, etc. 

There is some blame on the players but it's still majorly on Ron. 

Only player who played well all season on the roster is CMC.

Cam fell apart. (injury)

Luke wasn't nearly himself until later in the year.

KK is still good, but we see how much Star was needed for him to really shine.

TD has lost a few steps, but playing as well as he could...but got suspended for 4 games.

CJ didn't see the field and when he did cost us a game, Funch gave up, Poe was a waste, Reid was OK, but he and Jackson missed many assignments, Clark was beat like a drum, Kalil never saw the field, Ryan played as well as his body would allow.

Etc, etc, etc....

There is tons of blame for the players, but you can't fire them all....you can however get rid of the coach and GM pretty damn easily.

Plenty of blame in too many places. The players get some but a good amount of these guys have gotten the 'play to your ready' pitch so I don't know what other outcome you would expect from the players. They are thoroughbreds, wanting to win is part of why they made it this far and became so good. The coach and front office take most of the blame in my opinion. What Tepper does or does not do will determine how much blame he takes next year. I could take the growing pains of a new regime, I'm not looking forward to watching the Tweedle twins again. 

The aspect you want to leave out is overshadowing any of the in-game mistakes.  Sure, DJ had a few critical fumbles this year (but he also kept us in games), Cam has made some bad decisions (even considering his shoulder soreness), it took Ian Thomas a while to settle into the league.  So yes, there were times when the offense could've done more with what they were given.  

The issue is the makeup of the OL and the entire defense.  The players chosen to be out there along with the playcalling and decision making overshadows any singular in-game mistakes.  The defense we assembled this year may be one of the worst in franchise history.  

There is one guy however who has made enough mistakes that have compiled and rise above defensive scheming.  You can blame him for a lot of miscommunication and busted coverage and many TDs given up: CAPTAIN MUNNERLYN. 

Problem is if you're not trotting the right guys out there to generate pressure, you're not stopping anyone and this DL just sucks.  Poe, Horton, Elderpeppers, Got-Paid Short, Butler, yuck.

I blame players when they have shown they aren’t capable of playing in the NFL or when their effort is minimal. I blame coaches for making obvious mistakes in regards to personnel and gameplan decisions. I blame the FO when they sign someone who has questionable playing characteristics or repeatedly don’t address the needs of the franchise.

I blame Colin Jones for not being an NFL player, but I blame Rivera for trotting him out there to begin with.

I blame Poe for being a lazy player when there’s tape of him being better than he was this year, but I blame Hurney for signing a player that is known to be super inconsistent in the first place.

I blame Kuechly for looking lost at times this year, but both Hurney and Rivera deserve equal blame for not providing a capable defensive tackle to keep the guards of Kuechly.

In all reality, blame is distributed around at percentages for each issue, some individuals receive (and deserve) more blame than others.

However, coaches are hired to be fired, so when you have a poor season the coach is going to get blamed regardless of the talent around him.

I don't have problems with holding players accountable, but when 80% of the roster regresses you've got to take a step back and wonder what's the common denominator?  You could argue that not a single player on our defense is playing at the level they did a year ago.  To me, that's a reflection of coaching. 

I’ve seen Funch, the secondary, Shaq, the entire DL and Gano get a lot of blame. It isn’t all on RR, but he plays a HUGE part. After the Lions game, I recall a lot of ppl bashing Funch and Gano for losing the game and so much on the coaches. So it’s not all the time where it is all coaches. 

2 hours ago, davos said:

The aspect you want to leave out is overshadowing any of the in-game mistakes.  Sure, DJ had a few critical fumbles this year (but he also kept us in games), Cam has made some bad decisions (even considering his shoulder soreness), it took Ian Thomas a while to settle into the league.  So yes, there were times when the offense could've done more with what they were given.  

The issue is the makeup of the OL and the entire defense.  The players chosen to be out there along with the playcalling and decision making overshadows any singular in-game mistakes.  The defense we assembled this year may be one of the worst in franchise history.  

There is one guy however who has made enough mistakes that have compiled and rise above defensive scheming.  You can blame him for a lot of miscommunication and busted coverage and many TDs given up: CAPTAIN MUNNERLYN. 

Problem is if you're not trotting the right guys out there to generate pressure, you're not stopping anyone and this DL just sucks.  Poe, Horton, Elderpeppers, Got-Paid Short, Butler, yuck.

I think both Rivera and Hurney knew we were going to be thin at some positions and our depth was not great at some other positions. We had to go with Munnerlyn at nickel because we had to play Jackson outside instead of in the nickel where he belongs. Because we had injuries to all the other corners we paid good money to play here like Cockrell and the Breeland dodge we discovered Williams goes to IR, Kalil never plays, Cam goes from 110 rating to 60 and we immediately lose. He started games fine and got progressively worse as the game went on. He had nothing left for the comeback in the fourth. And his supportive cast we're not all that good either. The defense was awful. There have been tons of mistakes and promoting Washington was one of them but injury derailed this season. Last year we were the least penalized team and this year one of the most.. Coaching or execution? We know one thing, the 2019 Panther team will have many new faces. Sunday we will be seeing the last games for many of our players as a Panther.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Only player who played well all season on the roster is CMC.

Cam fell apart. (injury)

Luke wasn't nearly himself until later in the year.

KK is still good, but we see how much Star was needed for him to really shine.

TD has lost a few steps, but playing as well as he could...but got suspended for 4 games.

CJ didn't see the field and when he did cost us a game, Funch gave up, Poe was a waste, Reid was OK, but he and Jackson missed many assignments, Clark was beat like a drum, Kalil never saw the field, Ryan played as well as his body would allow.

Etc, etc, etc....

There is tons of blame for the players, but you can't fire them all....you can however get rid of the coach and GM pretty damn easily.

I always love when people try shifting blame to the players yet somehow believe that this absolves 1) the people coaching the players and 2) the personnel guy who drafted or signed them.

If your argument is ultimately that it's players and not coaching, then you're basically blaming the GM, no even dad ignores that the coaches have a say in the roster and in who gets playing time.

The whole all or nothing thinking which blames the players or the coaches forgets that there is plenty of blame to go around and in the end everyone suffers both players and coaches.  No one is blameless and too often mistakes  and penalties at critical times doomed us all year. We need to upgrade our players and find a DC and a secondary coach. Figure out what is going on with Cam and Olsen and the old guard and who is coming back and who isnt. Lots of questions. That will determine our success more than Rivera staying or leaving. 

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The players are partly to blame for this collapse.  But it's Ron's players he chose to keep and start so it still falls back on Ron and Hurney.  They chose to go with the older vets this season and we see how that played out.  Ron signed off on all these roster moves so he can blame the players all he wants but he had a big hand in assembling this group.

So yes, the players poo the bed but Ron and Hurney set it all up.

It's time to clean house but it appears that the new boss may not have realized it yet.

The problems on the O-line couldn't really be avoided with so little money. Turnovers here and there, especially the ones in the red zone and in the end zone itself, is solely a player problem. Cam, Moore, Samuel, Heinike and Wright have to protect the ball better. Save maybe Heinike, these are players that should have enough presence to put a premium on ball security.

Archived