• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Broncos get Flacco, probably not drafting a QB

trueblade

11 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I mentioned a few weeks back that this type of thing will happen a lot leading up to the draft and QB needy teams now won’t be such by draft time.  Foles is next.  

There's never enough QBs to go around. There always have been and there always will be QB needy teams.

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wow. What in the hell is Elway thinking? Honestly, at this point Flacco is probably a downgrade from Keenum.

The Ravens have to be laughing their asses off that they were actually able to get something in return for Flacco.

Elway was hailed as a genius early on but he's looked like a dunce since then. it looks especially bad that the position he knows best is the one that's been managed the weakest.

Even a bad GM can potentially put together a team that can win for one season if you spend and manage resources like there's no tomorrow. Building a consistent winner isn't so easy.

Flacco is today’s version of what Manning was in 2012 for the Broncos.  They need a QB now and have nobody on the roster that thrills them.  Both allowed them to kick the can of finding the future franchise QB down the road a couple of years, because neither could/can be that given where they are/were in their careers when they started wearing orange. 

Manning worked out after his neck issues and had a big upside for them. Flacco is not Manning, but he does have the experience to bridge the gap between, well, Manning really and whoever they stumble into next.  He's not a bad option for them as they fumble around. 

I guess it means they are out of the Nick Foles sweepstakes.  Given Elway’s success at finding a young QB, they may be looking for another cast-aside veteran in a couple of years after more floundering or complete foundering at the position.

9 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Theyll still take a QB, Elway is desperate to find a QB.  Theyll draft one to groom under Flacco for 2 years or so.  

He Really liked the strong arm QB Lock at the Senior Bowl.  He was scouting QBs hard

If he drafts a QB, it'll be a tall big armed guy. That's what Elway loves. It's why he drafted both Brock Osweiler (6'7") and Paxton Lynch (6'7") but both flopped big time. It's why I always felt like Keenum (6'1") was a poor fit and that he'd have to play lights out for Elway to not go shopping again. It's why he's trading for Flacco (6'6"). 

It's kinda odd since Elway was a fairly average height QB at a listed 6'3". I've met Elway and I honestly think 6'2" is a generous height for him.

Lock (6'4") would seem to fit the bill for Elway even though even at 6'4" he's a bit shorter than what Elway usually targets.

Archived