• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper expanding the ring of honor

ncfan

Smith is a different story than Mills. Smith like Mills played much larger than his size would dictate. He was clearly one of the best football players to ever wear the uniform playing here for over a decade. But the same fire that made him a great player hurt him at times as a teammate and nice guy. So as Scot said, you need to decide on the criteria. Did he do enough to get in the ring as a player? Yep. Did he exemplify the attitude we want as a teammate and member of the community? Up for debate.   What matters most? TBA. 

I personally think he deserves a place in the ring. I think guys like Kevin Greene deserve it as well as a player not necessarily as a person.

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Pep and Gross. I would rather wait on Smith or even not at all. Smith was a great WR but not what we should uphold as the best about our organization because of his character flaws, which were and are deep.   

There are character flaws and then there are OJ Simpson’s flaws and Ray Lewis’s flaws 

Lets keep perspective this isn’t about being a Boy Scout it’s about on the field performance.for the HOF and if the would allow the two above in,  Smith’s transgressions are far far less severe and he will be as well

The Panthers have had their share of issues and controversy and when you look at those, Steve is small

It depends if they are going to separate retired numbers and ring of honor. If they aren’t going to retire the numbers of Steve smith and Julius peppers, then the ring of honor needs to stop at those 2. If they are going are going to retire 89 and 90, then the ring of honor should be expanded to smith, peppers, gross, kalil, delhomme, Muhammad, etc.

1 hour ago, Wolfcop said:

If Steve Smith is not in it then you might as well not have one. If he didn't play with that chip on his shoulder he would not have been as great as he was. 

Agreed but you can play with a chip and still not punch a teammate in the face. 

20 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

There are character flaws and then there are OJ Simpson’s flaws and Ray Lewis’s flaws 

Lets keep perspective this isn’t about being a Boy Scout it’s about on the field performance.for the HOV and if the would allow the two above in,  Smith’s transgressions are far far less severe and he will be as well

The Panthers have had their share of issues and controversy and when you look at those, Steve is small

I wasn't comparing him to OJ or Ray Lewis. I just think he was great at talking poo and he was electric to watch, he isn't worth honoring. He could have been but that wasn't who he was and that wasn't what made him great. He was a selfish and petty guy that was awesome at playing WR. His chip on his shoulder was always a double edge sword that cut both ways. He'll make it into the HOF eventually for his play, I just don't think he is worth a spot in the ring of Honor as a Panther at this point and I wouldn't put him in front of Pep or Gross or other guys that had qualities that are worth honoring. 

Archived