• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper is very serious about an MLS Team

Paintballr

10 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

You guys need to start paying attention to stuff outside Charlotte:

Like this article from the Raleigh News & Observer?:

As for MLS, it continues to make googly eyes at Charlotte and billionaire Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper while Raleigh fades from the radar.

Soccer stadium proposal hinges on tax money it was already denied

3 minutes ago, djp14 said:

Like this article from the Raleigh News & Observer?:

So you do acknowledge that it's not just Charlotte. Good on ya for understanding the world does not end at the CharMeck county line. Unlike a lot said in this thread, not a single person even mentioned the Raleigh project.

So, the Panthers will end up in SC and Charlotte will have an MLS team.... maybe.

I mean, I don't have a dog in this fight and I really don't care if there's soccer in Charlotte, Raleigh or Whiteville, but at least pay attention.

10 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

So you do acknowledge that it's not just Charlotte. Good on ya for understanding the world does not end at the CharMeck county line. Unlike a lot said in this thread, not a single person even mentioned the Raleigh project.

This time last year, Raleigh was well ahead of Charlotte in the expansion race. Hell, every city was well ahead of Charlotte.

But when a multi-billionaire says he wants in, MLS is gonna listen.

My guess is that Tepper uses the MLS as a carrot to get govt. money for stadium upgrades.

20 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

So, the Panthers will end up in SC and Charlotte will have an MLS team.... maybe.

I mean, I don't have a dog in this fight and I really don't care if there's soccer in Charlotte, Raleigh or Whiteville, but at least pay attention.

I do pay attention to outside of Charlotte, but that was already denied. You have two USL teams in the North Carolina. One up with you and the other down towards me. Which one am I going to be more excited for? The two and a half hour one or the one that’s 15 minutes away? 

Also, like it or not, with Tepper it’s much more likely to happen due to his finances. He can fund this completely himself without tax payer help (which both the Independence and Carolina FC need/want). Honestly my dream would be for Tepper to get the team, and use the FC and Independence as level 1/2 in the USL to develop talent and teams. Then get a developmental club team setup for long term success between the club teams in the state. 

9 hours ago, LegioX said:

Developers right now in Raleigh are trying to build a 20,000 soccer complex. 

"Trying". 

Tepper can write a check for $250 million for a start of the art stadium with the interest he made last year (plus a hundred+ million left over)!

Think about it for a minute.   On a lousy 3% interest/dividend on 12biln is $365mil/yr

Archived