• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Moore / Samuel from Slot/Perimeter

Problem with QB ratings comparing players  is context. Unless you know how many times they were targeted in each position  you can't really decide how valid the numbers are. Otherwise a very small number of targets can skew the numbers at one position or another. A large number or at least a similar number give credibility to what looks like marked differences. In any case you see another use for analytics. Then if you further break it down against each team and player, you see how game planning begins looking at results and tendencies.

39 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Problem with QB ratings comparing players  is context. Unless you know how many times they were targeted in each position  you can't really decide how valid the numbers are. Otherwise a very small number of targets can skew the numbers at one position or another. A large number or at least a similar number give credibility to what looks like marked differences. In any case you see another use for analytics. Then if you further break it down against each team and player, you see how game planning begins looking at results and tendencies.

At the same time, these stats are a case where film backs it up. It's no question DJ Moore is still a rookie and has work to do with his press release. Which is a fixable trait and no wonder why he struggled on the outside at times.

Whereas Curtis Samuel already showed he's very good at nuances in route running and against press on the outside.

But yeah, discussing stats in general, many factors can skew such in one way or another.

27 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

At the same time, these stats are a case where film backs it up. It's no question DJ Moore is still a rookie and has work to do with his press release. Which is a fixable trait and no wonder why he struggled on the outside at times.

Whereas Curtis Samuel already showed he's very good at nuances in route running and against press on the outside.

But yeah, discussing stats in general, many factors can skew such in one way or another.

Obviously watching them play gives you more information than just looking at numbers. Which surely provides context. But remember that film shows what happened in the past and isn't predictive of the future. Moore will be a veteran this year and will get many more opportunities in both positions. The same for Samuel as long as he can stay healthy. This will be something to pay attention to in the preseason. Given Cam was limited much of last year I am putting only so much into any stats from last year. I am expected big improvement this year from both players from the slot and outside. I suspect Hogan will get a lot of time in the slot as well.

Ron will absolutely keep DJ on the outside....even though he is pretty bad against any type of press.

As I have heard more than once, "if DJ worked as hard before the ball got to him as he did after, he could be a superstar."

If DJ can learn how to beat press, and run a full route tree, the sky is the limit.

Archived