• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

F*** David Newton

Jimmy

39 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Saying that his comments might overshadow his play in the field is not an insult to Reid. 

Overshadow simply means that many might pay more attention to his comments than to how he performs on the field.  And D. Newton or whomever said it is not necessarily wrong.  Even on this board, where almost all of us want him to succeed, the only thread about him after the game was about what the media ask him and his comments regarding Jay Z.  I haven't seen one single comment about how he played.  Maybe there are some in the game thread, but I didn't read thru them. Regardless, that is the definition of overshadow.  

The headline itself said "excellent play" and he's just been solid. If you think ESPN would dedicate segments to his play thus far on the field if not for his activism you're kidding yourself. Richard Sherman was controversial and his highlights still got highlighted. If he plays well it'll be talked about like anything else. He's a freaking safety, they aren't exactly the talk of the town.

The idea that Eric could have a pro bowl season go ignored because of his views is completely unsubstantiated BS along the same dumb mindset that thinks that Cam's fashion and dancing has any sort of impact on football. That headline like most of D.Newton's work is just yellow journalism that holds no value or insight.

I mean, I dont disagree that newton had the worst in mind because hes proven himself terrible time and time again, but isnt that the point of being an activist for a cause? I mean, dont you think that greg Olsen would rather "the heartest yard" overshadow his play?  I don't even agree with eric reid, but I always say if you have good intentions and are peaceful, stand for what you believe in and he is.

51 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

The headline itself said "excellent play" and he's just been solid. If you think ESPN would dedicate segments to his play thus far on the field if not for his activism you're kidding yourself. Richard Sherman was controversial and his highlights still got highlighted. If he plays well it'll be talked about like anything else. He's a freaking safety, they aren't exactly the talk of the town.

The idea that Eric could have a pro bowl season go ignored because of his views is completely unsubstantiated BS along the same dumb mindset that thinks that Cam's fashion and dancing has any sort of impact on football. That headline like most of D.Newton's work is just yellow journalism that holds no value or insight.

The author said nothing about a pro bowl season being ignored.  He said Eric's excellent play on the field could be overshadowed by his comments.  And he is referring to the future or potential future not anything in the past.  And I said that was possible UNLESS Eric has a great season, or if you will, a pro bowl season.  

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Your reaction to the post says more about you than it does him. Didn't read the article, but "Eric Reid's activism might overshadow excellent play for Panthers" is as objective a statement as you will find in journalism. The NFL has many fans who find the method of activism troubling and an affront to values they hold dear. Others love his activism for the values that they hold dear. However, by and large, the veracity with which Eric speaks can be off putting for many, as evidenced by his Eagles Pre-Game dust-up in 2018. 

Thus, its plausible to assume his methods could put off others who otherwise support him. There are far more supporters of Jay-Z than there are of Reid. Jay-Z taking a different route, by investing and obtaining a seat at the table through that investment seems logical. Real football fans also know that Kaep as a back-up QB won't work for multiple reasons including offensive schemes and pay (Kaep turned down a contract offer from the Seahawks for quite a bit of money). 

In conclusion you seem to be overreacting to a completely innocuous, object caption for a tweet. 

This x 100.  The title is fine and actually fairly better than I expected.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

This is not news here nor is it shocking that someone would have a negative opinion about our "favorite" ESPN beat writer but this asshat has to go. 

His latest Twitter headline link to his new ESPN article reads:

image.png.017b8ddf6bd20cf38915800785645497.png

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on this is just trash journalism. I say it is trash because I have not heard from ONE, not ONE, Panthers fan who has had an opinion either way about what Reid said after the second preseason game against Buffalo. I follow a ton of you guys on Twitter, I'm here on the Huddle, and a 5 year member of the Roaring Riot. Haven't heard a fuging peep about this from fans. *So what is the overshadow exactly*?

David Newton in this article has CLEARLY written it for one reason and one reason only...FOR THE CLICKS!  He is a fuging hack. Just tired of his trolling bullshit. 

I mean...there is an 8 page thread here on the front page of the Huddle:

He is doing what every other journalist in the history of the world is doing... putting buzzwords out there for the sake of getting clicks. He did such a good job of it that a third-party blog has a whole discussion on it, which you are reading right now! And I'm sure some of you even clicked the article and read it, thus doing exactly what he wanted you to! 

I'm no Newton defender but the fact we are talking about it gives him vindication of the baiting title. 

4 hours ago, RenoCarolina said:

From everything I see and hear the whole Reid thing has lost a lot of juice.  I hear plenty about Jay-z and Kap but Reid seems to be an afterthought off the national news media.  Honestly I don't even follow David Newton or check espn anymore.

its because he got signed and he doesn't fit the narrative anymore

Archived