• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What record will it take to get a wildcard spot

PleaseCutStewart

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

10-6 teams missing the playoffs is pretty common place. It honestly probably happens in more seasons than not. Meanwhile, only two 11-5 teams have ever missed the playoffs. No 12-4 team has ever missed the playoffs.

So, I'll say our odds are probably less than 50% at 10-6 but damn near guaranteed at 11-5.

This is from December of 2017. No 10-6 teams missed the playoffs in 2018 so this should be still be relevant.

In 2015, the New York Jets went 10-6 and missed the playoffs, losing a tiebreaker to Pittsburgh. In 2014, the Eagles went 10-6 but were behind the 11-5 Lions and 11-5 Cardinals for wild-card berths. In 2013, 10-6 Arizona finished third in the NFC West and missed the playoffs by a game. The 10-6 Bears lost a tiebreaker to Minnesota in 2012. The Giants and Bucs went 10-6 in 2010 and missed the playoffs, losing a tiebreaker with Green Bay. The 11-5 Patriots missed the playoffs in 2008, losing the tiebreaker to Baltimore. That was the season when Tom Brady suffered a season-ending injury in the first game of the season. - Michael Rothstein ESPN Staff Writer (https://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/32637/how-many-10-6-teams-have-missed-playoffs-in-past-decade-and-what-happened-next)

It's going to be tough. Next 4 weeks are against 49ers, Titans, GB, and Falcons. I see us going 2-2. Next 4 games after that are Saints, Redskins, Falcons, Seahawks. I see us going 3-1 here. So that would put us at 9-5 with Colts and then a home game against the Saints left to go. I don't think 10-6 gets us in so we got to beat the Colts in their stadium and then the Saints at home to get us to 11-5 to make the playoffs.

638 has these if you use the predicted records. Tiebreakers could move some around.

NFC

1) New Orleans 13-3

2) SFO 12-4

3) Green Bay 12-4

4) Dallas 10-6

5) Minnesota 11-5

6) Seattle 10-6

AFC

1) New England 13-3

2) Kansas City  10-6

3) Baltimore 10-6

4) Indianapolis 10-6

5) Buffalo 11-5

6) Houston 9-7

I think if we get to 11-5 it's a wrap. 10-6 would more than likely do it, especially if we can beat the Seahawks. I know the Rams have a win over us and hold the tiebreaker. However, their offensive line is trash and Goff is especially bad when he's rushed. I think they win against Cincy next week, but I see them losing to the Seahawks, Niners, Cowboys, splitting with the Cardinals and dropping either to the Bears or Steelers (who both have the kind of defenses to disrupt Goff).

With a fairly large opinion landing on 11-5, which I also agree is the mark, we can only suffer 3 more losses.  IMO we have at least seven tough games left.

San Fran (away), Green Bay (away), New Orleans (home),  Atlanta (away), Seattle (home), Indy (away), New Orleans (away).  Yes, at Atlanta is debatable, I recognize they're a dumpster fire.  I'll just say they've beaten us before when they were a dumpster fire, we shouldn't take a sweep for granted.  We have to win four of these games.  In addition we can't drop any easy wins, Tennessee (home), Atlanta (home) and Washington (home).

With all three of our easy wins within the next 6 games if we're not 7-4 at minimum after Washington then it could be tough.  TBH, we really need to be 8-3 by then, 7-4 is just the floor to still be alive.

Too soon to tell. Of course, all predictions are based upon the idea that everything is static and we all know it won't be. Someone is going to get injured and/or some team is going to start playing worse. It happens every year, hence the reason why 50% of the teams that reach the playoffs each year didn't reach them the year before.

We just have to hope the Panthers stay generally healthy and have the depth this year to weather any other injuries that come along. So far, I believe they are doing quite well in that regard.

Archived