• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020 Free Agent QB Market

kungfoodude

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am gonna disagree with that.

Dalton is a better version of Allen, obviously, but I can't say that he better enough to warrant the price difference. 

Rivers is infinitely better than Allen but I am not sure how much he has left in the tank. He is on pace for his 7th straight 4000+ yard season, despite all that.

Yea . . . except no.

Dalton:

image.thumb.png.ce71cc4958c039b2e3c5a605c59490cf.png

Rivers:

image.thumb.png.e72630b6daebc9b637704d5743937a9f.png

Allen:

image.thumb.png.bd8dd7f1f0bbe422ea26ff9b043fa899.png

We can debate who is playing behind the worse line, but frankly, all three of those guys are the same guy.  The difference is that Allen still may have untapped potential where the other two guys are sliding into the twilight of their careers.

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Yea . . . except no.

Dalton:

image.thumb.png.ce71cc4958c039b2e3c5a605c59490cf.png

Rivers:

image.thumb.png.e72630b6daebc9b637704d5743937a9f.png

Allen:

image.thumb.png.bd8dd7f1f0bbe422ea26ff9b043fa899.png

We can debate who is playing behind the worse line, but frankly, all three of those guys are the same guy.  The difference is that Allen still may have untapped potential where the other two guys are sliding into the twilight of their careers.

Yeah you are also looking at this year versus career numbers for those guys. And recent trends as well. 

One interesting stat:

Career Average INT/FUM(not lost, just total fumbles) per game

Allen: 1.7

Rivers: 1.3

Dalton: 1.2

You could also say that Kyle is younger and has less games but Dalton's first starting year he averaged 1.1/game and Rivers averaged 1.0.

Kyle takes very poor care of the ball and is not nearly the passer Rivers is. I'd argue that Dalton is a better example of Allen, as well. I don't think anyone outside of a few in the Carolina fan base views Allen as a likely potential NFL starter long term, something that Dalton and Rivers have been.

Now, I AM interested to see if he looks better under the new OC. So, the full story of Kyle Allen 2019 is not written yet, I will give you that. 

3 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

I'd kick the tires on Mariota for cheap. Showed a lot of promise early on and he is young.

The price would have to be a backup price, IMO. But, I don't see the need to evaluate back up QB's. We have a fine and extremely cheap back up in Kyle Allen and a guy that we just drafted in Will Grier. The backup role is filled, as far as I am concerned. What we need is a starter and I don't view Mariota as much of an option as a starter.

I suppose if all else fails, you could attempt to sign him on a one year deal but at that rate, why not shoot higher for a one year rental? Or why not trot Kyle Allen out there again?

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah you are also looking at this year versus career numbers for those guys. And recent trends as well. 

One interesting stat:

Career Average INT/FUM(not lost, just total fumbles) per game

Allen: 1.7

Rivers: 1.3

Dalton: 1.2

You could also say that Kyle is younger and has less games but Dalton's first starting year he averaged 1.1/game and Rivers averaged 1.0.

Kyle takes very poor care of the ball and is not nearly the passer Rivers is. I'd argue that Dalton is a better example of Allen, as well. I don't think anyone outside of a few in the Carolina fan base views Allen as a likely potential NFL starter long term, something that Dalton and Rivers have been.

Now, I AM interested to see if he looks better under the new OC. So, the full story of Kyle Allen 2019 is not written yet, I will give you that. 

Have you watched Rivers play this year? Dude is SHOT.

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, if I'm Bridgewater I try to stay put. Brees can't last much longer and they hardly missed a step with Teddy. If the Saints are smart, they might want to let Brees retire and just roll with Teddy for a lot less. 

Because of a restructuring Brees is set to count like $20M or so against the cap next year without even being on the roster. If they bring him back next year they’ll have to add whatever that contract is and he has never been known to take less than what he’s worth... They’ll be paying a ton to the QB position regardless of who it is, and Teddy will probably be able to easily command $10-15M and a starting spot from somewhere else so they’ll have a really tough decision to make this offseason.

Depends on how serious we are about winning or about rebuilding.

Teppers words lately have me thinking he wants a full teardown and rebuild.  I prefer that as well at this point, especially if you take a hard look at the roster currently.

If that's the case, you trade Cam if possible, and then you have to ask if Tepper wants to tank for a QB in 2021, or if he still wants to try to win some games while rebuilding?  If he wants to win some along the way, then Rivers or Dalton...if he want's to tank to ensure a very high pick, just keep Kyle and Grier, and some 3rd stringer nobody knows about.

Eli could also be in the mix if they want to try to win a few games along the way, but I would prefer Rivers to Eli, even with him showing signs of wearing out.

Archived