• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rough times ahead

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Thorrez said:

First of all, stay safe everyone! 

Here in Sweden things are relatively fine. Health care is holding up with only about 100 deaths, schools up through middle school still open and restaurants are open with some restrictions like table service only.

I have a job I can do from home and it is not threatened in the short term. 

My father is a retired doctor and has started to talk about "volunteering for service". He had open heart surgery last year and would very likely not survive if infection, so I worried about him even before this talk. So far he is still in self quarantine. 

Maybe he could do Tele med and ease that burden on other doctors.  That way he comes into no actual contact.

contact.

I am fortunate to be an essential employee, as I work in a hospital. However, I am just administrative. I have offered my services due to my medical background, and state certifications/license. However, I am not needed at this time, which IMO is a good thing for my hospital. I have family and wife who are freaking out every day, which, I am just the type to just let it roll. I am pretty much the only one who leaves the house. We make sure our gas tanks are full, extra gas jugs full, and enough food to last us a month. I wish everyone out there luck, lets hope the wave is at it crest. 

To all of the first responders- fire, police, and medical- stay safe and healthy. You will be the ones we remember when this is all over. Thank you for your service and courage.

I'm considered essential and I've scheduled my staff so they're only working once every 3 days. We're still doing housing code inspections, but only on a complaint basis and only in the case of a life/safety issue. I have a short supply of N95 and latex gloves and I've directed that no inspector enter an occupied property without these and to limit exposure as much as possible. When I run through those, I may have to curtail all housing inspections. 

My wife and I both work from home.  I work at a medical center but as a basic biomedical scientist.  This will have a major impact on the biomedical science in general.  Many of us will have to discontinue research projects aimed at finding cures for diseases. Animal models will be lost, clinical trials will be interrupted etc. There is only so much you can do from home (apart from reading stuff on the Huddle).  I have two sons in their 20's.  One is now furloughed, the other basically lost his job.  Fortunately we can help them financially (we also still have 3 more or elss empty bedrooms!!).  Right now, the most important thing is to stay safe and to get through this.  I have seen many medical students coming and going at our university and I know many of them are now at the front line in the fight against the corona virus.  Several of my colleagues have children that have just finished medical school and are first/second year residents.  I remember them like little kids and find it hard to believe that the lives of so many may now rest in their hands.  I am not religious, but if I were, I would pray for them.......

Archived