• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Far Would You Trade Back? 23 Too Far?

Soul Rebel

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/marino-s-2020-nfl-mock-draft-7.0

Joe Marino's latest mock has us dealing with the Patriots in order for them to move up to 7 for their QB of the future. In this scenario, we move back to 23 (also receive NE 2020 3rd rounder - #87 overall) and select Kenneth Murray as our new franchise MLBer

More importantly though, we also land New England's 2021 1st rounder and 2021 3rd rounder in the proposed trade.

He has us selecting:

R1: Kenneth Murray (LB)

R2: Neville Gallimore (DT)

R3: Damon Arnette (CB)

R3: Damien Lewis (OG)

Then in 2021, we still inherit New England's 1st rounder and their 3rd rounder too.... only losing the #7 overall this year. Simmons and Okudah were off the board, leaving only Brown or Kinlaw on defense and all of the OTs still there.

I would 100% be on board for this. We still get a franchise LBer and a mean DT, while still securing a CB2 in Arnette. In 2021, we load up on ammo to move around the draft board as needed. This flexibility for 2021, makes losing Brown or Kinlaw okay because Gallimore is such a talented DT while adding a patrolman like Murray at 23. 

Thoughts??

With the numbers of needs/holes, I see no issue with trading back, once even twice. The 2-4 rounds still have a great mix of starting level players, and they need about 8 of those and 20 over-all.  A.J. Epenesa is mocked to late 20s and theres a couple of CBs that could start. Panthers need bodies AND talent, especially on defense and adding more picks could help that. 

It'd make sense if we were planning a full on tank but unfortunately our moves to this point haven't really been consistent with that. Who knows what New England will look like without Brady, although I wouldn't count on them to flounder. They've won the vast majority of their games with Brady's backups, from Cassell to Garoppolo. I suspect they'll still be middle of the pack. Assume they pick at 16 in 2021. How does 16, 23, and 2 mid-to-late thirds for pick 7 sound? Probably fair value but I think if one of our top guys is there at 7, you call in the pick and don't think twice.

It really depends on who would trade up and what our likely net would be. 

Looking at former trade partners, Vegas (12 &19)  and Indy (13) were possible but those are now both off the table due to the genius of Bill O'Brian and obviously Indy having traded that pick away. Vegas might have jumped AZ to get Jeudy since AZ was in need of a WR with Fitz about to hit retirement. I can't really see them moving except maybe Hebert but I think that's a stretch.

Jax at 9 is possible to get Okudah. 

Cleveland might go to 7 to get their choice of OL. 3 OL could go 7, 8, 9 leaving them with nothing if Gettleman or the Chargers or both go OL. 

Jets could do the same at 11, but I don't think it's likely. 

13 is about as far as I feel comfortable moving, but let's look on further back too. 

Tampa is 14, no trade there unless it's an unbelievable offer. Can't help the division rivals. Same with Atlanta at 16.

13 is San Fran and 15 is Denver. Neither one would target Simmons, Brown or Kinlaw enough to move up. Maybe Denver for Herbert, but they just drafted a QB. 

17, 18, 19 is Dallas, Miami and Vegas again. Dallas is a wildcard. I think Miami uses this pick to go to 2 for Tua so it's probably gone. Vegas might try to move this pick to move up to 7 and keep 12. It's possible but not likely.

By this point, I think the players we would need (OT, DT, CB, LB), top prospects would all be gone and the net for moving back to 20. According to trade value chart, Jax would have to give up 20, 42 and 73, possible if they stay at 9 and could land Okudah and Simmons. Philly I don't see moving, Minnesota would give up 22 and 25 to break even. At that point, towards the end of the first, picks are riskier, top prospects are likely gone, and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, at least to me. 

I see us staying put at 7, taking Okudah, Simmons, or Brown in that order ( I still want an OT), and we head to the second or trade our 2021 1st and some change to jump back into the 1st and cripple our rebuild. 

Just my $0.02. 

This would be really tempting especially if New England rolls with Stidham or a rookie.

We’re going to win 5 games MAX and the Patriots aren’t expected to win many with either of those two QB’s starting with that roster the way it is. So we could potentially have 2 top 10 picks next year. There isn’t a team that’ll trade out of the top spot for Lawrence but a team may be willing to trade the Fields pick. 

Archived