• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Curtis Samuel produce in 2020?

Jeremy Igo

Joe Brady's philosophy that it's not about the scheme itself, it's about getting the 1 on 1 matchup you want. It's evident that's how New Orleans offense runs. For example, you'll see Kamara motion out wide which allows two things: it shows it's zone for the QB; and allows Michael Thomas to key up against a safety or maybe even an inside linebacker. Not only does Sean Payton do this in the pass game but also the run game (wide zone, duo, zone read with he-who-shall-not-be-named, etc). 

Anyways, I've charted about half of LSU's offense during this quarantine. This means formation/shift/motion/play/tag/etc. Joe Burrow spread the ball out a lot using simple passing concepts, pre-snap and post-snap RPO's. They had 5 receivers with over 44 catches--pretty balanced if you ask me. Of those top 5 receivers, Clyde Edwards-Helaire was the only one who had less than 7 Yards/Catch. 

These two pieces of information really tell me that even if Curtis Samuel's production doesn't rise, it doesn't mean he won't be a major contributor--he and all of our receivers are going to be much more efficient. This means that receivers should have a higher yards/catch, 1st down efficiency, and TD/catch ratio.

I'm not relying on anything going according to plans this year. Once I see the staff producing and not making rookie mistakes, and there should be plenty, then I can start relying on them.

If the coaches can get up to speed quickly then Samuel has a hell of a chance to increase his production. If not, he might miss his window with us. Samuels is electric and his deep game was almost completely wasted last year. I'm hoping we can put him in a position to do more this year.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I pose a question unto you:

Will Joe Brady find a way to maximize the talents if one Curtis Samuel and will Samuel be able to capitalize on the opportunity?

Support your answer in paragraph form.

Paragraph one:

Maybe.

Paragraph two:

Definately maybe. Reasons: I know things about football.

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Joe Brady's philosophy that it's not about the scheme itself, it's about getting the 1 on 1 matchup you want. It's evident that's how New Orleans offense runs. For example, you'll see Kamara motion out wide which allows two things: it shows it's zone for the QB; and allows Michael Thomas to key up against a safety or maybe even an inside linebacker. Not only does Sean Payton do this in the pass game but also the run game (wide zone, duo, zone read with he-who-shall-not-be-named, etc). 

Anyways, I've charted about half of LSU's offense during this quarantine. This means formation/shift/motion/play/tag/etc. Joe Burrow spread the ball out a lot using simple passing concepts, pre-snap and post-snap RPO's. They had 5 receivers with over 44 catches--pretty balanced if you ask me. Of those top 5 receivers, Clyde Edwards-Helaire was the only one who had less than 7 Yards/Catch. 

These two pieces of information really tell me that even if Curtis Samuel's production doesn't rise, it doesn't mean he won't be a major contributor--he and all of our receivers are going to be much more efficient. This means that receivers should have a higher yards/catch, 1st down efficiency, and TD/catch ratio.

Great post, I  haven't done the research that you have, but I watch some NO games last year and Teddy was good at spreading the ball around. With DJ, Anderson, and CMC on the field, DC's aren't going to be as worried about Samuel, so he will certainly have the opportunity to go off. I think he's got the skills to take advantage of the opportunity.  

This is going to rely on Bridgewater remaining healthy.  Samuel has shown big play capabilities and is a dynamic option but he has had a difficult progression due to lack of strong QB and the QB carousel.  Looking at his stats last season, they are lackluster to put it lightly.  My prediction will be 800 yards with an improved catch rate(51% last season is brutal). 

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I pose a question unto you:

Will Joe Brady find a way to maximize the talents if one Curtis Samuel and will Samuel be able to capitalize on the opportunity?

Support your answer in paragraph form.

I'm thinking right at a 1k season and 10 tds. He will start being game planned for after he catches a few behind the defense and they start playing two high safetys all game. 

They asked him about our top 3 receivers on a video conference on Panthers.com. 

To my memory he said Curt was exactly the type of player that they look to have on his offense. Ability to line up anywhere and he has seen that good things happen when you get him the ball. 

He said he grew up in Florida so is very familiar with Robby Anderson. Said he will beat you deep but does a good job with attacking the ball and has great body control. Says he does a lot well that he doesn’t necessarily get credit for. 

Huge smile on his face when asked about DJ. Said he can’t wait to help elevate his game. Said it isn’t a matter of helping him arrive in the NFL he feels like he has already made a mark. He said that he knows exactly what they are going to do with DJ and reiterated how excited he was to watch him take it to the next level. 

At the end of the conference call he said a successful season for Joe Brady is being able to hear from each one of his players that they played their best football this year. 

He is a bit of a gimmicky player - very situational. I feel like he will have a good but great season, a 6TD 800 yards type season. I also just think that is the type of player he is.

Given that, he might see himself as more than that and leave for free agency at the end of the year. 

Archived