• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm making a movie about Nazis in South America and this one has an A-list actor in it

PhillyB

After three years of busting ass and getting my first feature film signed by Sony and placed in Walmarts nationwide, I've embarked on a second one. It's a feature action/drama set during a search for Nazi war criminals in 1950s South America. I penned the final line of the script atop Machu Picchu in 2018 and immediately jumped into preproduction.

This one was going to require some next-level production value, but without the initial backing of a major studio I'd have to leverage my own sweat equity to get started. I needed big-league visual splash, and the opening scene features a B17 bomber crashed in a farm in eastern France during WWII, so consequently I spent most of 2019 and the early part of 2020 sleeping in a barn in rural North Carolina and building a full-scale crashed B17F and period French farmstead.

Screen_Shot_2020-05-28_at_3_52.22_PM.png

Set photo - 1:1 scale B17F, in progress

Screen_Shot_2020-06-01_at_10_07_07_AM.png

Set photo - French farmhouse circa 1944, in progress

The challenges and personal workload to create these were staggering, but the film's explosive opening scene now features millions of dollars of built-in production value for about $40,000 and a year of my life. Production was slated for summer 2021 and now all we had to do was pull on a star actor to kick this thing into overdrive!

After months of negotiations with actors like Ewan McGregor and Timothy Olyphant, we finally settled on a bankable A-list talent to headline the film. Everything got finalized last week. I can't post who it is as I am under NDA and his attorney (and mine) would nail me to the wall. He's arguably the hottest actor in Hollywood currently and will blow the doors off the thing. We will blow off the roof ourselves with top-grade production crew and value that rivals studio projects for a tiny fraction of the overhead. We're going to make Point Man look like a YouTube video.

Point Man was driven by donations, this one will be driven by private partial equity investors. If you have money and want to turn it into buckets of money, you should invest in this film. Its bankable talent, superior production value, marketable themes, and rock-bottom overhead make it an absolute slam dunk. We project a 29MM gross on a budget less than a tenth of that. I am by far the hardest working person you know or have never met and I will be a millionaire. You can too if you invest in this film.

Post questions here/mock me for turning the carolina huddle into a pitch deck

That's awesome, man. A few years ago I completely inadvertently crashed a scene of a Ewan McGregor movie up in Alaska. They weren't very pleased.

Also, I took a shot at you and your Point Man movie months ago and I never apologized to you for that. Well, I'm sorry. I was having a shitty day and took it out on you. I never want to discourage anyone in any way from pursuing their dream.

15 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Like the concept sounds like a great movie. What is the minimum buy in?

1% of total equity.

Condor's Nest is a heritage film in a lot of ways, bringing iconic elements of America's air war into the fold as well as Israel's MOSSAD spy agency, and packed with cinematic elements audiences have come to expect from these sorts of films - motorcycle chases, planes, shootouts, all the production zip that puts asses in seats. These elements make it a great story, but more importantly they make it widely marketable. The addition of the A-list talent (I can reveal to seriously interested parties but will need to sign an NDA) to an action/adventure of this kind makes the film bankable by every existing metric. Name talent drives sales more than anything else, and we've got that nailed.

The budget is set at 2.3MM USD. We've kept costs extremely low by gutting above-line costs (director and producer fees) and removing logistical bloat. With a lean, mean, motivated crew, and production engineered to maximize the A-lister's screen time and presence while paying him for just a week, we can produce an explosive, highly-marketable, studio-quality picture for a small fraction of the price, driving the film to enormous profit.

We're seeking private equity investors to finance the film. I have no idea where you stand in terms of risk capital, so I'll just break it down in standard pitch terms. Assembling an investment core that will own a controlling share in the project is the first step; we've got about a quarter of the equity now. Executive producers on the board of directors come in at 5% or more and hold executive power over green-lighting the film and releasing the escrow. The investment minimum is 1% of the total equity, or $23,000.

Either way, this is obviously a large sum, and we've gone to great lengths to minimize investor risk and protect the capital. Primary protections include the appointment a board of directors which will control the escrow's release leading up to production, and bonding the film, which insures the project against production liabilities and mishaps. As an industry failsafe bonding guarantees quality, on-time and under-budget completion and distribution.

Based on industry comps we project between 10MM and 35MM in gross return, a figure reflected by recently-precedented robust sums for exclusive streaming rights, and joined by international territorial output as well as a moderately successful box office run. Shares are returned at a pro-rata basis and the investment group is paid back in full before the producers see a dime, after which profit is split 50/50 between the investment group and the production house. Production is scheduled to take place Summer 2021, and we anticipate a fall 2022 release globally.

I have an executive summary with an exhaustive budget disambiguated by line item that should provide a pretty good basis for risk analysis if you're interested in taking a look. It's a slam dunk. Superstar actor, extremely low overhead, genre that pulls massive numbers. We're poised to execute on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit me up if you need someone to write publicity for you along the way or just need a bit of polish on the script/dialogue (working on trying to get my Screen Writers Guild credentials at the moment).

And good luck man, you did the impossible once before! This will be old hat to you before too long!

On 9/25/2020 at 8:40 AM, PhillyB said:

Post questions here/mock me for turning the carolina huddle into a pitch deck

Dude that's absolutely badass, can't believe you went from pretty much nothing (film industry wise) to making 2 feature films and 1 w/ a relatively big budget and a legit star actor in it. Good luck with the project. Film has long been a hobby/passion of mine but I've never had the time/inspiration to actually do something with it -- kudos to you for jumping right in. 

8 hours ago, t96 said:

Dude that's absolutely badass, can't believe you went from pretty much nothing (film industry wise) to making 2 feature films and 1 w/ a relatively big budget and a legit star actor in it. Good luck with the project. Film has long been a hobby/passion of mine but I've never had the time/inspiration to actually do something with it -- kudos to you for jumping right in. 

thanks man. we are only three weeks into financing and haven't reached our second financial close yet but we're still over a million in equity on the strength of having done point man and on the measurables of this one (low overhead and huge actor attached.)

it's a slam dunk from an risk perspective (all our financiers' advisors have all urged them to come in on the strengths of the packaging and strategy) so if you have any risk capital and wanna get in on the production side of film DM me and we'll talk.

Archived