• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All of you were right about Cam

AceBoogie

On 10/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Because it's my opinion? And it has nothing to do with race. Mahomes and Wilson, for example, I consider cerebral. Vick, no. McNabb, McNair, Moon ... cerebral. And to do the other side ... Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel for example? NOT CEREBEAL. See a pattern? Maybe I'm just old, maybe I want the guys on the team I root for to be all business. Saying he's not cerebral has nothing to do with his skill. Cam is talented. But for me, being cerebral means your life is dedicated 100% to the game. Basically Bill Belichick and Luke.

Right so basically you have no proof that Cam isn’t cerebral. That’s what I thought. By your logic Mahomes isn’t cerebral since he didn’t read a defense until last year. 

Cam isn’t dedicated to the game? Are you serious? Multiple injuries suffered while laying it out for the team. Flipped his truck, broke his vertebrae  and still played.

You’re talking out of your ass.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, MHS831 said:

People do not get it.  The more "unathletic" the QB is, it is probable that he had to be more cerebral than others.  Manning and Brady and I think we could put Bridgewater in that category.

People need to think of a developing athlete.  Cam was an athletic prodigy his entire life. He could beat you with his arm, his legs, and mentally intimidate you with his size.  He was gifted with a great arm.  So whenever there was trouble in the pocket--or the team needed a big play from pee-wees through college---what happened in Cam's brain vs. Tom Brady's brain?

Cam's brain: "You know, those WRs are not that open and you can run for the first down--maybe a TD. Run, Cam, Run!" and Cam found success.

Brady's brain:  You have a golden arm and about 3 seconds to find an open WR.  You either pass the ball or throw it away."  and Brady found success.

So when they practice and watch film, they apply what they see to their skill sets.  Tom knows that he must anticipate WRs breaking open sooner and make accurate passes.  Those with his skill set that did not were filtered out.  Brady learned to use his arm and his brain, while Cam was successful using his arm and his legs.  So when Cam is in the pocket, his feet were ready to run at times because his brain was telling them to stand by.  That led to accuracy issues because when his brain said, "Throw it!" his feet were not in position for throwing accurately.  They were like, "Make up your mind, Cam's brain!"

Finally, as a researcher of the brain under stress, the amount of stress is related to the brain's prediction of survival.  Brady must stay more calm and focused to survive and his brain operates more in critical thinking mode than one whose brain is functioning more through the limbic system--more like an animal in survival mode.   His brain is going to tell him to survive, and he will resort to what he has done to survive in the past---in Cam's case--run the ball--drop your shoulder and plow into the linebacker.   Does that mean he is not smart?  No--his brain is in a different place. Brady's brain in survival mode would not equate to success, so he has to remain cerebral to survive.

See my book (image) for more in-depth analysis of the brain and its various modes.  I think it is relatable, and anyone equating on field cerebral functioning needs to consider how the brain--the body's computer--has been wired to meet the needs of that particular athlete.

This is still under an assumption that Cam never understood this and it’s not backed by anything but opinion. The last time Cam was healthy on this team he was on another level passing the ball.

Your logic applies in general but you can’t knock Cam for having assets someone else never did. If Tom Brady could run like Cam did he probably wouldn’t have the same stats. 

It’s also never been Cams job to prove himself to anyone on the internet or play like someone else. The best version of Cam Newton doesn’t play like Peyton Manning because that wouldn’t exploit his gifts. The best version of Cam is something like Brett Favre with legs.

Also when you look at the majority of the Rivera era we frequently play an upgraded version of Fox ball. Running game supplemented with splash plays. Lots of third and longs when the line was weak.

The Panthers ran the ball on first and second down more than the majority of the league before Norv Turner got here. Cams stats don’t look like Ryan’s and Brees because he wasn’t passing on first down most of the time. That’s less attempts for himself and more high pressure throws he had to make when we couldn’t dictate the game. 

Cam never had to be Brady. He only had to be the best version of himself and this franchise and the NFL through its bias against him (SB50) never let it happen.

Cams had his problems with accuracy and footwork. But there’s no evidence to question his understanding of the game. Like I said, if he was so mediocre why wasn’t Luke embarrassing him in practice everyday. The supposed super computer of a MLBs.

Teddy Bridgewater is this alleged genius QB. But we’re still waiting for him to deliver with the game on the line and not throw stupid INTs. He looks no better than Cam ever did. Dink and dunk just inflates the stats.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He is throwing in the dirt mostly. Multiple bounce passes a game. Not sure what a receiver has to do with it.

Sometimes dirting a ball is a better play than watching your WR tip it into the air for an INT. New England is screwed regardless. 

Archived