• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

#1 Priority for Next Year

rayzor

What is the priority for next year?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What should the top focus be on in year 2 of the rebuild?

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I don't see him  as the long term solution, but for the next year or two while we rebuild the OL and get it on firm ground I think he's good enough to get us in the playoffs. I want us to create an ideal situation for a franchise QB to walk into. I don't want a new guys brain to turn to mush while we dick around with the OL.

The comparison I keep using is Alex Smith on the Chiefs. Right now our roster needs talent everywhere, so collect as much talent as possible. While the team gets better Teddy can get you into the playoffs, then when it's time to make a move for your next QB go all in.

37 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

OL had actually been okay until Thursday. 

That was kind of an illusion.

Stat wise, they were doing okay largely because Bridgewater was getting rid of the ball, but if you actually watched their performance closely it wasn't so hot.

A franchise QB or LB should be the priority if there's a guy in Round 1.  Teddy could settle into a very solid backup role on a second contract with us after bridging the new gunslinger.

Long-term-build wise, yes, I without a doubt hold onto the lines out preference, but when I see the "wait another year" strategy for following year's top QB, that's assuming we'll be what? Even worse season after we spend an offseason upgrading both lines?  If Rhule is legit, we're only getting better from here on out.  You need to get the franchise QB to pair with him under the new GM.  IT IS WITHOUT QUESTION that we need a good OL.  This doesn't mean you can't ID a  new starting center in rounds 2, 3, or FA.  Same with a guard. 

100%, we need to prioritize re-signing Moton, in addition, acquiring a guard and center, finding at least an average LT, but neither require a 1st round pick.  The thing is, we may not be in better draft position than this coming offseason to get a QB and there's 5 legit ones in my view worthy of 1st round picks (Trevor, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Trask). I think Trask is really showing he's got it.  It's not just a few game run he's got going on.

Roll the dice, take a chance at our new team leader, still build lines out.  Maintain that strategy while getting your QB high in the draft.  We could be sitting at pick 5-6 right there for Wilson or maybe Fields.  You pull that trigger.

If you don’t have a franchise QB, it’s always priority #1. Period. Guys not having success on their back is cute, but you can make a concerted effort to fix an OL almost at any point in any year. You can’t just go to Harris Teeter and pick up a franchise QB. Having Teddy just allows us to drag this out an additional year.

Either we’re bad enough to get the guy without giving anything else up or we fork up a load to get him. Bottom line, the immediate need after securing him is to get him all the line help we can. Dedicate a draft to it if necessary, just like we did defense. Trade back RD1 pick next year and get two 2nd rounders and some thirds. Let as many young guys compete to together that can potentially form a new core.

But if you donmt have the franchise guy, you’re wasting rookie contracts of OLs to be mediocre until you do get him.

FYI panthers will have around 35-40 million in cap space(once Paradis+Short are cut) if the limit is 175. Need about 10 milion for rookies and 15 for Moton tag.....that leaves next to nothing for filling around 15 more spots.

Its OL, but its really adding young talent. Need to have another 2020 like draft and find a few more UDFAs. Thennnn do it again in 2022...

It depends on where we fall in the draft. We continue this free fall and finish with 3 wins and we will be in the top 5. If that’s the case we absolutely pull the trigger on Fields or move up a little to grab him. Sometimes when you have an Alex Smith and you are winning you don’t let a Mahomes pass you by. Just because Tyrod Taylor can get you wins doesn’t mean you miss out on Herbert. The Chargers are not a much more talented team than than they were last year but they are clearly on the up because a young rookie QB is inspiring the entire team to play better. 

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You don't have the luxury of waiting on QB. You gotta jump when the opportunity presents itself. Having Teddy on the roster also gives you the opportunity to have best of the both worlds. You can jump on that opportunity to add that franchise QB to the roster, but sit him behind Teddy and let him wait to actually play.

But the fact is if you don't have guys to protect him it's basically moot. We have to at some point in our existence have a LT and C who can actually protect the QB. 

20 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Until the OL gets a significant upgrade the offense will continue to struggle and the defense, no matter how good, will continue to be gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Success is predicated on dominating at the point of attack, the offensive and defensive lines.

Defensive line looks promising, the offensive line needs to be next.

defense is gassed cause they cant get off the field on 3rd down. i wouldnt be mad if they drafted all defense again

Archived