• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Its OK to reach for a QB

AU-panther

2 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

This is a really great point. I think it's the main reason I am loathe to trade up for a qb. Our cupboards are bare enough, we can't afford to lose multiple picks that could help us form a complete team. I'm still for drafting a qb, but we can't rest our laurels that a new QB us going to swoop in and completely change our fortunes, even if they end up being huge upgrades over Bridgewater. 

I agree. Fields, Lawrence available you jump. Everything else might be a massive roll of the dice. Sewell there, you take him. Otherwise, BPA regardless of position. Build solid, we have holes everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

We took Cam right after Clausen. This whole notion of "you can only pick 1 QB every 10 years" is dated as fug and I have no idea why other people here spread it. If Wilson or Fields sucks we just take another QB ASAP. Simple as.

Agree wholeheartedly. If we task Wilson and he sucks, it’s not an albatross contract like it used to be pre-Cam and you’ll likely be drafting early for another replacement. That said, we’ve got some solid pieces and if we hit then we are playoff bound. If we hit on a true stud you’re setup for a decade.

I know @Khyber53 mentioned Rivers and Stafford but we’d love to have had either. Rivers hit some bad luck and honestly some meh head coaching. No one looks at the Detroit and SD GMs and thinks man we should grab those guys. Stafford was just complete ineptitude at coach/GM. Took them how many top 10 picks to get a stud WR? Also, I feel bad for Rivera a bit. Look at his career. 15 starting years (including this year), 7 playoff appearances and 3 more 9-7 seasons missing the playoffs. Only 4 of 15 losing seasons, just never had the playoff success and barely missed a bunch. I think a young Stafford or Rivers would have a real nice career plugged in for Teddy right now.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

People trashed the Packers for taking Love but I think that was a tremendous pick and they extended their window a decade+ with that move. You can never invest too much in the QB position.

It wasnt a reach though.

Im all about investing a top pick into a franchise qb. Just not a qb who is a lukewarm franchise guy.

I don’t think you articulated what reaching is and your examples are poor. Does it occasionally work out? Sure. But there are so many teams who have reached for a QB and busted it’s not even funny. Why base a statement on the exception and not the rule? You think the Panthers are that special? I personally don’t want to chance it with their track record. Also all these ‘reaching’ examples are not only poor they’re not with a top 5 pick. You don’t reach with a top 5 pick, that would hurt the franchise for years.

Also reaching is subjective to what the professionals think, not what we think. Knowing what we know about your examples, did the teams actually reach? According to what? What talking heads and fans think? Or the professionals? Because judging by the outcome it wasn’t a reach in any way to take Rodgers in the late first round.

So with that in mind, of the Panther’s professionals deem a QB worthy of being a franchise QB you take him, if not you do not ‘reach’ and take him anyways just because you need a Qb. That would be a monumentally stupid move for the franchise despite making a few casual madden fans happy and excited for a couple months.

2 hours ago, WarHeel said:

Glad we reached for Clausen, Grier, and co.

Doesn't matter!  Stop thinking that way!

Most college QB's FAIL in the NFL.  It's the cold, hard truth.  Most fail.  But you'll never find one if you don't draft them.  Here, look at this:

image.png.3c0e055b92669b4610efee5afa509792.png

That's the top 15 QB's in the NFL by yards.  Of those, 11 of them are playing for the team that drafted them.  You just don't get many opportunities to pick up a good QB as a free agent.

Of the ones who are not playing for the team who drafted them, you might argue that the drafting team probably wishes they hadn't let them go.  Does NE wish Brady was still there right now?  Does WTF wish they had Cousins?  You bet they do.  I would argue that Miami would probably be better off short term with Tannehill.  Tua has been "ok", but hasn't just lit the world on fire yet.

The only team that would probably not take 'their guy' back is the Chargers, who bought a lottery ticket and looks like they got lucky with Herbert.  And Rivers has actually been better than expected with the Colts.

You have to keep drafting QB's until you find your guy.  Round is irrelevant.  You gotta buy that ticket until you get the guy.  In both the case of Clausen and Grier, we needed a QB.  We took a shot, we missed.  That's what happens with MOST college QB's!

2 hours ago, t96 said:

People trashed the Packers for taking Love but I think that was a tremendous pick and they extended their window a decade+ with that move. You can never invest too much in the QB position.

That’s only if he turns out to be a good QB down the road. There are many questions with that. I don’t fault them for drafting a QB at all. I’m just not sold on Love the same way I’m not sold on Lance. 

2 hours ago, Pimpdaddy said:

Reaching for a QB in the first round has long and everlasting consequences... you better be damn sure the qb skills will fit what you are trying to do..otherwise... a wasted pick..and same situation the following year...thus QB purgatory...

True but if you dont have a great qb you have zero chance to win it all. 

18 minutes ago, Varking said:

That’s only if he turns out to be a good QB down the road. There are many questions with that. I don’t fault them for drafting a QB at all. I’m just not sold on Love the same way I’m not sold on Lance. 

Rodgers has just been good, but well off MVP pace the past three years. All of a sudden, GB drafts a QB in the 1st and he's back to playing at an MVP level. I don't think it's a coincidence. Even if Loves is a bust, if that pick was the kickstart to get Rodgers back to elite play it was still worth it.

For those supporting "reaching" (genuinely curious here, not intended to be a "gotcha!"):

What happens when when you draft Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watson?

Is it made worse if a better pro prospect that wasn't a QB, was available, and fills a need ends up being an All Pro? Was the reach worth it then?

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Rodgers has just been good, but well off MVP pace the past three years. All of a sudden, GB drafts a QB in the 1st and he's back to playing at an MVP level. I don't think it's a coincidence. Even if Loves is a bust, if that pick was the kickstart to get Rodgers back to elite play it was still worth it.

I agree. But I thought the quote I replied to said something about the pick ensuring they are good for another 10 years or so. I don’t see him playing ten more years. 

I think we need more overall talent, O-line and a fantastic defense. If we can't get the top 2 QB's, I even think we trade down, get another 2nd round pick or maybe 2 more picks (a 2nd and 3rd) and build talent. Right now, Rhule has great knowledge of college players. LT, a fast & solid MLB and shut down CB are 3 must hits in the draft. Add in an experienced TE and C/OG in FA and we're getting closer.

I still think 2022 is the year for us to get a QB. Build a team for a young QB to thrive with. How much longer Burrow will struggle until he gets a team around him? The 49ers proved last year they can win with a system and a lot of good players. Grappolo was slightly above average and they came so close. Mahomes doesn't win some games without a great defense and Butker and Andy Reid. 

We need a solid team all around, so I am in the minority to not take a QB this year (unless it was Trevor). But I wouldn't want to give up lots of picks to get him. 

Just now, musicman said:

I think we need more overall talent, O-line and a fantastic defense. If we can't get the top 2 QB's, I even think we trade down, get another 2nd round pick or maybe 2 more picks (a 2nd and 3rd) and build talent. Right now, Rhule has great knowledge of college players. LT, a fast & solid MLB and shut down CB are 3 must hits in the draft. Add in an experienced TE and C/OG in FA and we're getting closer.

I still think 2022 is the year for us to get a QB. Build a team for a young QB to thrive with. How much longer Burrow will struggle until he gets a team around him? The 49ers proved last year they can win with a system and a lot of good players. Grappolo was slightly above average and they came so close. Mahomes doesn't win some games without a great defense and Butker and Andy Reid. 

We need a solid team all around, so I am in the minority to not take a QB this year (unless it was Trevor). But I wouldn't want to give up lots of picks to get him. 

Have you looked at the '22 draft class? Unless some guys come out of nowhere, it's basically Sam Howell and a bunch meh.

Archived