• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Its OK to reach for a QB

AU-panther

18 minutes ago, musicman said:

I hear you. But even Teddy with a solid O-line and CMC not hurt, and a solid defense, with those WR's should win us 11-12 games. Who knows, when the cap goes back up and we have enough young guys, we should have plenty of cap space to sign a great vet that some teams can't afford. QB's are getting expensive. 

Teddy cant wint games. He's regressed to something worse than David Carr. I have no problem taking a QB at 4. I have a problem taking a QB graded in the 3rd round at 4. Like Grier was ranked in the 3rd only by us. Dont make desperate decisions because you're desperate. If you think Wilson and QB X are only a negligible difference, and QB X is a 3rd or 4th round prospect, you take a Sewell/Slater at 4 and grab your QB in the 2nd/3rd and have 2 good players and be done. 

Yep, the risk vs reward for drafting the QB position has the highest reward of any other position and it’s not even close. It’s always a bit of a gamble drafting a player, even an offensive lineman. So the worst case of any player drafted is complete bust and gets cut without ever becoming a stater. The best case for a QB is 10x better than any other position.

I have no problem with a QB with our 1st if its the right QB. There is no other player or position that carries the value of QB. 

Watching Teddy get a chance to be that difference maker and watching him not be able to do it has proven that point multiple times this year. Missing out on our future QB, rolling with Ted and improving the team might be good longterm but it's another grim year to suffer through. 

With some of the reports and speculation of Teddy and Rhule having some turbulence, I'm not even sure it's a lock Teddy will be here next year. Yeah yeah, cap implications and plenty of reasons to have Teddy as a mentor/backup but it is not unthinkable that really anything is possible at this point if Rhule and co want it.

10 hours ago, Icege said:

For those supporting "reaching" (genuinely curious here, not intended to be a "gotcha!"):

What happens when when you draft Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watson?

Is it made worse if a better pro prospect that wasn't a QB, was available, and fills a need ends up being an All Pro? Was the reach worth it then?

What happens if we get a Mahomes or a Watson instead of a Trubisky?

What happens if we don’t take a QB and Parsons ends up to just be an OK LB and the Falcons have their replacement for Ryan?

There’s too many what ifs you can conjecture about. Once we get our draft slot and there’s pre-draft events we get a better picture. Heck, Sewell, Parsons and Chase look to be top 6 type picks and not one of them has played a down this season and Lance played one game. What if they skip the combine?

31 minutes ago, stbugs said:

What happens if we get a Mahomes or a Watson instead of a Trubisky?

What happens if we don’t take a QB and Parsons ends up to just be an OK LB and the Falcons have their replacement for Ryan?

There’s too many what ifs you can conjecture about. Once we get our draft slot and there’s pre-draft events we get a better picture. Heck, Sewell, Parsons and Chase look to be top 6 type picks and not one of them has played a down this season and Lance played one game. What if they skip the combine?

If we get a Mahomes or Watson, then we have a franchise QB for the next 10yrs, that's fairly obvious.

If we don't take a QB and the Falcons replace Ryan, we still have the 2021 & 2022 offseasons to find life after Teddy.

Skipping the combine hasn't always been a killer for other prospects in the past, because pro days.

I answered. Your turn. :)

1 hour ago, Tinamedina said:

Yall do know Rhule is not getting a QB this draft right?

I think there's a very good chance that he trades down. I'm guessing he wants to draft at least 3 OL, a couple of LBs, a couple of DBs, and a TE. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of tradedowns. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this place explode when that happens.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me to see him draft Wilson or Fields either. About the only think that could surprise me at this point would be trading up to get Lawrence.

19 hours ago, stbugs said:

Agree wholeheartedly. If we task Wilson and he sucks, it’s not an albatross contract like it used to be pre-Cam and you’ll likely be drafting early for another replacement. That said, we’ve got some solid pieces and if we hit then we are playoff bound. If we hit on a true stud you’re setup for a decade.

I know @Khyber53 mentioned Rivers and Stafford but we’d love to have had either. Rivers hit some bad luck and honestly some meh head coaching. No one looks at the Detroit and SD GMs and thinks man we should grab those guys. Stafford was just complete ineptitude at coach/GM. Took them how many top 10 picks to get a stud WR? Also, I feel bad for Rivera a bit. Look at his career. 15 starting years (including this year), 7 playoff appearances and 3 more 9-7 seasons missing the playoffs. Only 4 of 15 losing seasons, just never had the playoff success and barely missed a bunch. I think a young Stafford or Rivers would have a real nice career plugged in for Teddy right now.

You make a lot of sense here.

And as to picking another QB, I hadn't thought about it but considering what a huge chunk most starting QBs take out of the salary cap once they get past their rookie deal, you could create an entire strategy of disposable QBs... even the very, very good ones. Drop a high first round pick on a QB... if they turn out bad then you are going to get another high first rounder soon and you aren't on the hook for a lot of money. Hit a good one and play it out to the option year and put him out there on the trade market -- some team will definitely bite and offer their first rounder or a bunch of other picks. Boom, let him go, never having to drop $25 million plus on him for a season, then go out and pick another first rounder. Become a QB factory, only paying for the raw materials and passing the big cost on to others while reaping a reward.

Every five years you could end up with a fan revolt like when Cam was shown the door, but you could build a pay for a solid O-line, receivers and defense just off of the savings you'd make.

53 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Agreed. I was just implying that regarding the qb's you cited, the problem was less that we reached, but that we didn't evaluate them properly as not being worth it.

I should have clarified my previous statement. I wasn’t saying not to take a QB simply because they aren’t the #1 prospect, but if you have a Kuechly or Burns type player available and you draft a QB with huge question marks it’s a dumb move.

19 hours ago, Icege said:

For those supporting "reaching" (genuinely curious here, not intended to be a "gotcha!"):

What happens when when you draft Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watson?

Is it made worse if a better pro prospect that wasn't a QB, was available, and fills a need ends up being an All Pro? Was the reach worth it then?

The same thing that happens when you sign a backup qb to starter money.... it sets you back and your team sucks.  

Archived