• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what are the positives from the Panthers 2020 season?

Jeremy Igo

New staff had zero time and preseason with a roster comprised of mostly rookies or new faces, and we were in nearly every game but the bucs games. 

Went toe to toe with Mahomes in Arrowhead 

Stymied Rodgers for a half with 7 rookies on defense in a game they jumped all over us early in. 

Shut out the Detroit Lions

Came within a fg (all be it  two were complete long shot chances) of winning road games in New Orleans, Kansas City, and Minnesota. 

competed in nearly every game with inept qb play, a patchwork offensive line, and while missing one of the most talented offensive players in the league. 

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Samuels potential deal just went up due to yesterday.  I am not sure how the team is going to sign him and then moore after next season.

I don’t think you sign Samuel. He’s going to be handsomely paid by some team to be a number two receiver. Let’s not forget that most of the reason Samuel is shining, is due to the fact that he is taking what would be CMC’s touches (not trying to slight him at all, but if CMC isn’t injured this year, his role would have been greatly reduced). 

Jeremy Chinn was a steal. 2020 draft overall looks solid upon early returns.

Mike Davis filled in admirably for McCaffrey

Robbie Anderson was a nice signing

Coaching staff doesn’t seem awful. But neither did George Seifert in his first two seasons so I’m cautious here.

That’s about it.

We're clearing out our dead cap.

The GM who replaces Marty could be much better than Marty.

Our coaches appear to be more talented than Ron and his coaches, so upgrade.

We have a good WR corps, and several good defensive players who are on rookie contracts.

CMC should be ready to next season and he's an amazing weapon.

We'll have a better roster next season, so 8 - 8 is on the horizon which is better than 5 - 11.

1. Defensive improvement--Chinn and Brown and YGM (it takes DEs longer)--but to me, we played tough vs. good teams with undrafted rookies (Hartsfield, Franklin) and rejects/players from other teams (Douglas, Burris, Larkin, Kerr) and we found talent on our own roster (Carter, Haynes, Obada).  In my mind, we are a MLB, DT, CB away.  Once we get the LB, we can move Chinn to play more S in the big nickel etc. Say bye bye to KK.

2. Offensive clarity-We should have some idea of the 3 areas of improvement needed to support the new QB:  LT, TE, LG. We need to re-sign or tag our RT.  But we won 5 games with a makeshift OL with so many injuries that were expected to contribute:  Okung, CMC Daily, for example.  I was impressed with Scott vs. Chase Young, and i think he could be T depth moving forward, and I might take a look at him at LG.

2. Special Teams--We have a punter in Charlton, and we probably need a K (but so does the entire league, it seems).

Unlike under Rivera, Rhule has put players on the field so we know what we have.  Rivera did not develop players--He kept them on his bench or in his doghouse.  All this talk about what a good guy he is---bull crap. You better know how to work with people in their 20s or you will lose them--that is why he liked veterans so much--he did not need teaching/developing skills to play them.

We went from one of the oldest rosters to one of the youngest this year.  We had 25% of the cap in dead money and another 25% of the cap injured.

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

We're clearing out our dead cap.

The GM who replaces Marty could be much better than Marty.

Our coaches appear to be more talented than Ron and his coaches, so upgrade.

We have a good WR corps, and several good defensive players who are on rookie contracts.

CMC should be ready to next season and he's an amazing weapon.

We'll have a better roster next season, so 8 - 8 is on the horizon which is better than 5 - 11.

While we have a lot of dead cap, we screwed the pooch cap wise just this year. Dead cap gets too much discussion since it’s just money paid up front that hits later years. Every player on a multi-year deal has dead cap built in their later years even if they never get cut. Short’s cap hit was $19M even though his salary was $13M. He had $6M in dead cap this year but it’s not called “dead cap” so it’s not scary.

Anyway, if you look at dead cap and IR cap, i.e. cap that didn’t help the team, half of it was due to this year’s deals. Not Luke retiring but new deals signed this year or trading players or guys doing nothing and going on IR (not CMC). Guys like Short, Weatherly, Apple, etc. Doesn’t even include Teddy or Okung and it was still $41 of the $79 dead/IR money.

Archived