• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analytics to pick QB?

Jmac

We all know that Tepper loves the analytics concept and picked the coach he wanted partly due to this fact. He wanted M.R. because he agreed with the concept.

I don't know much about it, but what if they are looking at a guy using this method to make a final decision. Could it be someone that they like who may be under the radar who rates very high for them. 

Maybe all the hand wringing about a top ten pick isn't that guy? Has anyone done any research on a QB after the top 4 or 5 that may be in their sights?

What u got???

Putting the pieces together because that I what we do:

• Brady earned his stripes with Burrow. 
  • Ohio State CHOSE Haskins over Burrow because he fit their system better.  Brady won a championship with OSU's reject.  Scratch Fields off the list--if you believe in stereotypes (OSU QBs).
  • If you recall, LSU is one of the last, "power I" schools, and Brady won the national title there--after a stint in New Orleans, another NFL team that featured a FB that did not have an overly-mobile QB (Brees).  Although they are having fun with Hill, he does not really fit that system--
  • Bridgewater was Brady's choice and he is not overly mobile. So here you have a situation where Brady took the "left over" QB for his system.
  • This system requires certain skill sets:  FB, TE, and OL have to possess the skill sets to increase the likelihood for the QB's success. 
  • The Panthers fired Marty Hurney, who does not communicate with the scouting department effectively in the identification of these skill sets.  Frankly, Marty probably does not get the "analytics" of player evaluation in relation to the system requirements.
  • Rhule and Brady and Snow know what kinds of players they need, so they run the draft while sending Marty out to Seattle (at the beginning of the pandemic restrictions) to scout HERBERT--no other qbs. If Herbert had been there, Brown would not have been the choice.  He would have been here a year too early, but still.
  • The Panthers could have traded up for the QB Herbert, but they wanted to see what they had in Bridgewater and they wanted to put the pieces in place before bringing in a QB. They had so many needs. They decided to build the defense in 2020 and see what Bridgewater could do.
  • So now they are ready to build the offense, and the QB is the main piece. It makes sense that the panthers will go after a Herbert/Burrow/Bridgewater style QB and build the protection around him. LSU had a good D, remember?
  • Who are the QBs who fit the Brady mold?  Trevor (already gone), Trask, and Mac Jones. 
  • If the Panthers knew they had to have a Fields or a Wilson, maybe they would have played more conservatively Sunday. However, Trask and / or Mac Jones is going to be there when the Panthers pick.

I think this is 70% speculative BS, but there could be something there.  I think we could go with Trask or Jones because either is a better fit in Brady system.

28 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I like your idea of breaking down past moves to get a broad fix on what we would look for in a QB. Small sample size but I appreciate the effort.

I really think running is a positive in a QB so I care about that last as far as skills. I hope Lance fits thr mold, not in love with those other options. 

I also wonder if they learned anything this year with Teddy? It's weird to ask after so many years of known 'No's but with this crew I hope they are adapting.

21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I like your idea of breaking down past moves to get a broad fix on what we would look for in a QB. Small sample size but I appreciate the effort.

I really think running is a positive in a QB so I care about that last as far as skills. I hope Lance fits thr mold, not in love with those other options. 

I also wonder if they learned anything this year with Teddy? It's weird to ask after so many years of known 'No's but with this crew I hope they are adapting.

It is a good year to be going after a QB....I like Lance.  I like Wilson.  I am scared to death of Fields.  I like the Trask and Jones ball placement---they are crazy good.  I even see some raw material in Newman--a team like Atlanta might be better served developing Newman for a year or two....

Archived