• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the fumble out of the end zone rule wrong?

Mr. Scot

On the CBS halftime show, Bill Cowher was talking about the Browns fumble that resulted in a touchback.

Cowher argued that the offense shouldn't lose possession in those circumstances. His alternate suggestion was that the offense keep the ball but it be moved back to the 25 yard line (essentially still a touchback, but no change of possession).

Agree with Cowher or think the rule is better left alone?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

On the CBS halftime show, Bill Cowher was talking about the Browns fumble that resulted in a touchback.

Cowher argued that the offense shouldn't lose possession in those circumstances. His alternate suggestion was that the offense keep the ball but it be moved back to the 25 yard line (essentially still a touchback, but no change of possession).

I’d say that is fair, but no first down, you start off where ever you left off. If it’s 4th down defense takes over on the 25.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This would get exploited real fast. Especially if a team is up and on the 1 yard line and the intentional forward fumble out the end zone so that they can get the ball back on the 25 yard line and cook the clock even more. 

I don’t have a fix for the rule, and I’m not 100% sure it should change. 

I don't really want the NFL competition committee trying to fix anything.  After they about drove me away from the game permanently with the definition of a catch a few years back, I'd just as soon they be disbanded for about five years to provide some consistency and sanity in the game.

I'm fine with it. It's one of the few rules remaining that actually favors defense. Offense players shouldn't have free reign to be careless with the ball near the endzone out of bounds if they know that there's no risk to fumbling it there, which there wouldn't be if they change the rule. At the end of the day, good coaches coach their players to not try to carelessly reach the ball over the goal line. Belichick is a notable one, and Rhule believes this as well (according to his words, though Teddy's actions went against that).

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't really want the NFL competition committee trying to fix anything.  After they about drove me away from the game permanently with the definition of a catch a few years back, I'd just as soon they be disbanded for about five years to provide some consistency and sanity in the game.

By NFL standards this was a good post.

Edit: By NFL stands this was a bad post. 

Don't fumble the ball near the endzone if you don't want the other team to have it. I got no sympathy for offensive players reaching out to the endzone, not protecting the ball. If the Browns receiver just goes down with the ball, they have 1st and goal at the 1. It's up to the coaches to teach that. 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

I'm fine with it. It's one of the few rules remaining that actually favors defense. Offense players shouldn't have free reign to be careless with the ball near the endzone out of bounds if they know that there's no risk to fumbling it there, which there wouldn't be if they change the rule. At the end of the day, good coaches coach their players to not try to carelessly reach the ball over the goal line. Belichick is a notable one, and Rhule believes this as well (according to his words, though Teddy's actions went against that).

Yep. Last thing we need is more offensive fuging rules allowing them to be careless with the ball in the end zone. Jesus why even have a defense just see who can score the fastest.

The rule is fine, if you want the points, be smart.

Archived