• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Market: The Sputtering QBs

davos

Okay so there's chatter about Watson up the wazoo.  Draft wise, we've had a lot of fun talk about Wilson, Fields, & Lance.  Some promising dudes. 

Now there's a bit of speculation about Stafford per reports that we're sniffing around.

Now my question is that if we're being aggressive and asking who's potentially on the market, I'm a bit curious to the younger QBs that have looked good to even great in the past few years that sputtered in less than ideal fashions:

Jimmy Garrapolo

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Sam Darnold

Furthermore, another guy that's gotten a bit lost in the weeds is the anticipated backup to Trevor Lawrence.  The stash. Gardner Minshew.  If we performed like he did with a Jags team, I'm actually quite interested to know how he'd perform around a better squad. 

Are any of these guys salvageable?  Could any still have pretty good careers? I mean, more than just one did start in conference title games and are all on the younger side.

Just curious, not backing any of them up.  I'm not a huge fan but maybe there's someone here to test out.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Every guy on that board is going to command a big price. IMO, if you make a move to get a "damaged goods" candidate, it needs to be on a Jameis Winston/Cam Newton kind of one year deal. 

So, guys that might be worth a look under that cheap scenario:

Jacoby Brissett - Honestly, not an upgrade over Teddy. I'd pass.

Mitch Trubisky - Not a great scenario up in Chicago for QB's. Talented gunslinger with the classic boneheaded play syndrome. I'd be down to take a flier on him for a cheap deal. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Not really given a fair shake in Miami once the decision was made to start Tua. The classic boom-or-bust journeyman. The issue is that he might not come at a cheap price given he is 39 years old.

Jameis Winston - Yet another maligned gunslinger. Very talented but can he run this kind of offense? I'd be willing to give him a 1 year deal....for the right price.

Those are the mildly interesting options that I saw. 

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Mitch Trubisky - Not a great scenario up in Chicago for QB's. Talented gunslinger with the classic boneheaded play syndrome. I'd be down to take a flier on him for a cheap deal. 

This guy here . . . he might not be as bad as we're led to believe.  He does kinda have a reputation as a gunslinger, but I'm not sure it's deserved.  His INT% rate is 2.3 for his career . . . while career "game manager" Alex Smith is at 2.1 and Checkdown Teddy is at . . . 2.3.  Completion % is at 64% . . . vs 63 and 66.

I would be very curious to see someone like that play in our system.  Just not sure how we make that work, nor would I want to lose our #1 to find out.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This guy here . . . he might not be as bad as we're led to believe.  He does kinda have a reputation as a gunslinger, but I'm not sure it's deserved.  His INT% rate is 2.3 for his career . . . while career "game manager" Alex Smith is at 2.1 and Checkdown Teddy is at . . . 2.3.  Completion % is at 64% . . . vs 63 and 66.

I would be very curious to see someone like that play in our system.  Just not sure how we make that work, nor would I want to lose our #1 to find out.

Well, I mean Brett Favre's was only 3.3%. He's a gunslinger. Philip Rivers is only 2.6%. He's a gunslinger. Jamies Winston's is only 3.4%. He's a gunslinger. Baker Mayfield's is only 2.9%. He's a gunslinger.

INT% isn't a good stat to isolate to interpret if a player is a gunslinger, IMO. Hell, watch Trubisky play and it immediately becomes obvious he's a gunslinger. He takes far greater risks than a game manager would or just a more conservative QB.

I'll give you a good example of what I mean. If you look NFL Next Gen Stats metric called "Aggressiveness" he was the fourth most aggressive QB in the NFL this season(21.2% of his completions/incompletions to a receiver that had a defender within 1 yard or less). In 2019, he was 13th. In 2018, he was 8th. In 2017, he was 19th. 

So, outside of his rookie year, he has been one of the most consistently aggressive passers in the NFL. Again.....a gunslinger. He also shares some of the other gunslinger traits....those crippling INT's that lose games. Being insanely hot or cold, depending on how his gambling is paying off. 

He is a gunslinger, same as Winston is. The question is whether that is something Joe Brady can deal with. I can give you this one tidbit, his former understudy Joe Burrow did finish #3 in the NFL in Aggressiveness rating last season. So.......maybe Winston or Trubisky are worth a shot for us.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, spizike99x said:

This is asinine. TB is here next year. There is no way we trade for another QB unless he is part of the deal also. We are drafting a QB this year or next. Probably this year if Zach Wilson is staring us right in the face at 8. Highly doubt we draft Lance unless something spectacular comes back on him or we plan on letting him learn for a few years. Guys have some patience stop acting so desperate, we are not a player away. Hell we aren’t even a year away. Stop trying to over compensate, be realistic and enjoy watching the young guys ( coaches and players) develop. 

You are awful definitive about something you have no idea whether it is or isn't going to happen. TB may not be here next year, at all. New front office is in place and Rhule and Co. may decide to cut their losses with a guy that the previous GM unsuccessfully staked his future here on.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Gotta agree, to a point.

If I wanted Darnold, Goff, Wentz or Jimmy G., I would have kept Taylor Heinicke, Kyle Allen or see what PJ Walker has to offer.

I'd welcome DeShaun Watson if the deal made sense. Think of it this way- as bad as the Panthers were this past season, how many of those winnable games would have ended the way we wanted? I see 3-4 more wins with him on the roster.