• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How soon will Deshaun and Houston be open to trade talks?

Zod

The start of the NFL season isn't until March. However, as we saw in Detroit teams can mutually agree to part ways and begin trade talks now. The actual trade won't happen until March, but the terms can be agreed to before then. 

I would keep paying close attention over the next two weeks. Teams are trying to get a jump on the NFL season and making QB plans now. The longer Deshaun stays out of the mix the more it hurts him and he knows it. If there still is no movement after two weeks in Houston, I would assume Deshaun is likely staying put. 

• Beer 2

I would imagine everyone in the Texans organization is doing everything they can to appease Deshaun and keep him long term. Once the Texan organization kisses his rear enough he might just change his tune and stay for good.

Assuming the Texans can't appease Deshaun we'll have to put together a huge deal to compete with the other teams clamoring to snatch him.

I'm starting with the idea that Deshaun isn't going anywhere, and the more time that passes the more that is solidified.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

it's happening right now I'm sure.

Though you have to think their delay on hiring a coach has to do with bienemy. Or maybe they're just trying to delay to give Deshaun time to cool down before they hire like Jim Caldwell or something. 

Either way I don't htink we're going to have anything on that until after Stafford is traded, because he has a team option coming up in March.

Hopefully we know about deshaun’s status more concretely before making a play for Stafford. It would suck to miss out on Watson because we got ansy and signed Stafford. I like Stafford, think he’s a good guy but I honestly think he could be a disaster here. He is extremely injury prone. Like last year I think he had 4 injuries he was dealing with. And although he never misses games, his level of play suffers. You mix that with our question marks at oline and him not being very mobile and it’s a recipe for disaster.

I talked to my Lions buddy and he said the fanbase did a collective sigh of relief. They were ready to move on.

26 minutes ago, Zod said:

The longer Deshaun stays out of the mix the more it hurts him and he knows it. If there still is no movement after two weeks in Houston, I would assume Deshaun is likely staying put. 

Houston's asking price though is beyond what any rational team would spend. Three firsts at a minimum + extra? This is also the last year he's making cheap money which really could be the hold out year if he chose. Than again he really doesn't have a choice on a trade since Houston is trying to use him to recoup all their losses and go into rebuild.

Also some reading on multi-first round for a player http://www.footballperspective.com/trading-2-first-round-picks-for-a-player/

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I’m starting to realize that the likelihood the Panthers trade for Watson is extremely low. They don’t have the same draft assets the Jets or Dolphins do, who both have an extra first round pick this year. The Panthers would realistically have to give up CMC to make the deal enticing and work financially, maybe even more like Burns and 2 first round picks. The price is extremely high for a team without extra draft picks. And now with Detroit possibly entering the QB market too, Houston picking at 8 would face the same dilemma the Panthers do, probably not getting a shot at one of the top QB prospects like Fields or Wilson and having to overdraft Mac Jones or Trask.

Frankly, the Panthers are in a really shitty position to upgrade at QB this offseason. So glad they beat Washington though.

I think Watson to the Panthers if a pipe dream. Miami and Jets have more assets + more desirable cities to offer, but I think the Texans will do everything in their power to make nice (even to the the extent of ripping up his 4-month-old contract and giving him even more $$$).

• Beer 2

Once Houston signs a HC, the situation should solidify. Their asking price is ridiculous and some of the ideal landing spots for him are better for Houston than Watson, IMO. Will Houston try and keep him as this drags on or will they give in an move along with a portion of their asked compensation? No idea, it very well could take a year of him sitting if he can't find a likable landingspot and Houston to get enough compensation. I could completely see Houston's owner getting involved and making things worse, his disrespect for players being an issue in this dumb situation and at other times in the past.

I do know for certain that I am happy to not be discussing this absolute mess about the Panthers. The rest shoukd be a wild ride over the next few months or year.

I don't think it's guaranteed they will be, especially not the team.

Watson is probably waiting to see what happens with the head coaching hire. Per Aaron Wilson, it sounds like it's down to Leslie Frazier versus Eric Bieniemy.

As to Josh McCown, another of the Texan writers said that per sources he wasn't really up for taking the job even if the Texans offered. He's concentrating on his high school age sons now.

Edited by Mr. Scot