• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gil Brandt weighs in on Carolina QB options

Zod

1 hour ago, Pimpdaddy said:

say we do pick up Stafford...he gets us to 9...10..11 wins...we still will need a qb for sustained winning consistency. How we go about that drafting late? Guess we rely on Fetererererer to find a gem?

We'd be in the playoffs making a run at the Chip. Tampa seems unconcerned and Brady is way older than Stafford. Just can't over pay.

It’s funny how so many that were clamoring for Watson were ready to give up our best player and multiple 1st rounders, up to 3 for Watson, who has proven NOTHING. Stafford has been to the playoffs. Been through turmoil and has never been terrible. Yes he’s never won a championship but do you see the teams that they have fielded in Detroit. Stat wise Stafford did better than Watson with less. Stafford is still decently young for a QB and even with the injuries is worth a shot. Now if we picked higher and had a shot at Wilson or Fields I’d prefer them but at 8 Lance may or may not be there. Do we reach for Jones? There are so many options. Best case scenario is we give them a 3rd this year and next years 1st for Stafford and toss them Teddy too. In a perfect world Wilson is right there staring at us. The FO needs to take a long look at what it would take to get Stafford and really contemplate it, because if they don’t the Colts (for example) gladly will. 

• Pie 3

I do not think you can trade draft picks alone for a veteran QB---salary cap.  We need to send a player to swap contracts a bit---I say Shaq Thompson has to be on the block.  He is not worth $14m---

I would offer Shaq + his salary, a second rounder, and a second rounder in 2022.  Then I would move back with the #8 picks for more picks--grab a T and a LB.

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I do not think you can trade draft picks alone for a veteran QB---salary cap.  We need to send a player to swap contracts a bit---I say Shaq Thompson has to be on the block.  He is not worth $14m---

I would offer Shaq + his salary, a second rounder, and a second rounder in 2022.  Then I would move back with the #8 picks for more picks--grab a T and a LB.

If they would do this then I think that’s a pretty good deal. I also think they’d be hard pressed to find a better deal. I would value Shaq higher than a mid-late 1st round pick. 

6 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Like Fittereer said in his press conference, draft a QB each draft, when you hit on one you keep him around. 

He said acquire a QB each year, which is the right thing to do.

You should always carry three QBs imo. If the second guy isn't pushing the starter then he's on the bubble with the third guy (who should be a developmental prospect).

As for the mental gymnastics around Stafford. They're getting a first round pick for him - if we want him it's going to cost #8 overall. Everyone talking about trading back / throwing their C into the mix. It ain't happening. This will be settled way before the Draft.

I'd be v, v surprised if he's not a Colt.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Mr.Ellerbee said:

If Carolina can keep Everyone give Lions Bridgewater and his contract the 8th pick for Lions QB Matthew Stafford plus there 2nd, 4th then swap 3rds to pick two spots higher.. DONE DEAL

No one... i repeat NO ONE is going to take TB off our hands.  Everyone knows he is, at best, a backup QB.  NO ONE is going to absorb his contract for us.  

If we sign anyone we'll have a 20 Mil per year back up QB. 

Last I checked our oline was still putrid with no help in sight.  So yeah lets take on another massive contract for an aging qb that has been struggling with injuries for the past 3ish seasons.  Sounds like a competent plan.

If we dont sit tight at 8 and let the draft come to us then I am going to lose my mind.  This poo isnt hard.

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

No one... i repeat NO ONE is going to take TB off our hands.  Everyone knows he is, at best, a backup QB.  NO ONE is going to absorb his contract for us.  

If we sign anyone we'll have a 20 Mil per year back up QB. 

He would get released before we pay two qbs 

This is Brandt's opinion.  He is not asking you to approve the thought, but he is expressing a possible "dark horse" scenario.  People who are trying to argue against this---it is not Brandt's decision or recommendation.  he is suggesting the #8 pick, but we cannot take on $33m in cap space without letting some big contracts go.  KK and a few others are preferably post June 1 cuts, so I think we have to include a player like Shaq (a Lion need is LB).  There are options.  

And there are legitimate concerns here.  However, if we can deal Shaq and keep the #8, we can trade that pick back and add some picks--instead of losing picks.  Let's say we deal Thompson and the second in 2021 and the second in 2022.  If we trade back, we get Stafford and (basicially) 2 second rounders in 2021. We would need to fill the LB position, and probably address LT.  We are fine; it basically equates to a deal where we sent Shaq and a 2022 second rounder for Stafford.  We would also run the risk of losing Samuel and possibly Moton.

I am not sure the Lions would agree to this, but there are ways around it.  I just do not get becoming upset about taking on a salary we cannot afford--if we could trade Anderson too (another Lion need) for Stafford, we'd be getting rid of $24m or so in cap room, giving the Lions 2 highly-productive need players...I do not see that as a likely occurrence.

14 hours ago, Zod said:

Gil Brandt has about as much respect as anyone could in the NFl community. 

He says:

"I think Carolina is a darkhorse team to watch in any Matthew Stafford trade. Sweet spot for me is teams in the backend of the first round. Panthers are at No. 8, which would give Lions two in top 10. Teddy Bridgewater isn't answer in Carolina. Stafford has several good years left."

I'd listen.

I'd listen to the trade, and man Stafford deserves a chance to be on a good team for once... but I am finding it hard to give up on a chance to draft an important LONG-TERM piece to our team. I don't just mean a QB necessarily, but there is going to be someone great available at #8. If we can spot them.

That pick is at the spot were we got CMC and Luke. Teams that do their homework win big at this spot.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, unicar15 said:

If they would do this then I think that’s a pretty good deal. I also think they’d be hard pressed to find a better deal. I would value Shaq higher than a mid-late 1st round pick. 

LB is a need in Detroit.  And the fact that they would eat $19m for moving him, we would not be entitled to pay his full salary.  His contract goes through 2023, but there is an out after 2021.

This article was from November, but it expresses a pessimistic view in Detroit about finding an partner. https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/10/lions-trading-matthew-stafford-after-2020-scenarios-unlikely-to-happen/

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'd listen to the trade, and man Stafford deserves a chance to be on a good team for once... but I am finding it hard to give up on a chance to draft an important LONG-TERM piece to our team. I don't just mean a QB necessarily, but there is going to be someone great available at #8. If we can spot them.

That pick is at the spot were we got CMC and Luke. Teams that do their homework win big at this spot.

Me too.  I would not trade #8--Shaq and #40.  I do not think there will be as much hype for Stafford as people think--there are potentially 5 NFL starting QBs in the this draft. Then you have players like Trask and Newman, players to sit for a year or two. There will be other players available as well, like Lock, Garoppolo, Darnold, and maybe Carr-  And Watson and Stafford.  I would low ball the Lions and still look to get a QB--maybe a Newman or Mond--maybe.  I am not going to worry--I think they will have a plan, a target, and I think we will get that player.

• Pie 1